Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2005, 19:49   #16
Member.

Re: How much should a guest be allowed?

Obviously a little wanderlust going on there.

Return to a very valid point; I would agree that some areas of the site should be restricted, the gallery now sports the names of some members, no doubt that consent as been given but it could lead to the unscrupulous taking advantage, In respect of general member profiles it is possible for employers to put the two together “suspicion and profile” and conclude that employees are spending to much of their paid labour conversing on the site? The same could be said of school age members who should be studying perhaps…..and not chatting away. Irrespective of the argument I would say that we should all take responsibility for insuring that as individuals we don't post too much information that might leave us vulnerable.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2005, 20:59   #17
God Member

Yes there should be resrictions to profiles especially contact addys if they can be seen.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 03:25   #18
I am Banned

just visited whos online and have seen a few guests viewing user profile but it dosnt say whos

either way all anyone would have to do is join up and never post so stopping it would be pointless

just play nice and no one will want to get you lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 07:33   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
just visited whos online and have seen a few guests viewing user profile but it dosnt say whos

either way all anyone would have to do is join up and never post so stopping it would be pointless

just play nice and no one will want to get you lol
No it wouldn't be pointless, if guests were restricted from profiles until they join accyweb and get all privileges then, as we all have done they would have to supply a valid email address, which would give at least some security.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 10:01   #20
Give, give, give member

If people don't want their profiles read by guests they could always put N/A.

God that's aggravating to the more nosey amongst us.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 11:40   #21
white rabbits

good point less... i never thought about it before
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28   #22
Resident Waffler

How much does an email address tell you though? I mean I've got a gmail, one now since we left AOL mainly because if we swap ISPs again I don' want to have to keep changeing my email address and having to let people know. Does a valid email address mean the person is traceable?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:31   #23
I am Banned

when you open an emal account you ip is logged at the time which is tracable but wether records are kept or not after a certain amount of time i am not sure about

easy answer is dont put too much personal information in your profile a bit of common sense is all is needed realy on the members part like not putting your home phone number for example

people can only find out what you want them to or what you tell them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 13:13   #24

I do not see that it matter's whether or not guests view our details or not.

Which ever server this site is controlled by will keep a record of all pc's that have logged on at any time.

Lets face it, being a member of this site does not mean you are less likely to be a nutter after someone's personal details and info, nor does not being a member mean you can not be traced should the need arise!

I mean this site is full of nutter's anyway. Any one of them could be a head case without our knowing it!

Though of course some are more obvious. Garinda for example!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 17:27   #25
Resting in peace

Having been on the receiving end of a nosy journalist looking for copy, I do worry sometimes. We should be able to post what we like within the bounds of decency (well, er ....) but I for one will be more careful about some of the things I comment on. You don't know who is looking in, and it could be risky sometimes, and not just from the obvious point of view. Happy to enlarge in person, but not here.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..