Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2006, 19:51   #16

Re: How True

another advantage from not washing
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2006, 19:53   #17

They were the good old days. Wish my kids could have grown up like us!
Old 15-02-2006, 20:43   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmatjackson
They were the good old days. Wish my kids could have grown up like us!
yeah so do but unfortunatly by the time my kids have kids things like risk , adventure and freedom will just be words in a dictionary
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 14:41   #19
Resting in peace

I suppose we were hardier - these days with so much "better hygiene", more and more kids have asthma and allergies. And another funny thing, when not everyone had quite enough to eat, very few people seemed to have "food intolerances".
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 18:38   #20
Resting in Peace

Thumbs up Re: How True

[quote=carolef]>>

>> rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the
>>risks we took

>> We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one
>>bottle and NO ONE
>> actually died from this.

Suppose all does sound better when ya' put it that way, doesn't it?

Did inherit scar on eyebrow and concussion, however, from tumbling over handle bars on bike.

Best friend nearly 'died' on many occasions after she used to spit crumbs in the Tizer and didn't fancy a swig after that!!

Oh, and the one about the black mask before operation... had tonsils out when I was 4 (only because they thought were rather big and better to take them out before they caused trouble in later life). Thought I had dreamt this mask, but WAS true after all .... can smell it now..

Good fun this thread anyway. Thumbs up.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 19:15   #21
mez
God Member

definitly agree with westender, i was a war baby too. very happy childhood. the rest don't know what fun they missed...all innocent may i say .....(well till the teens )
Old 16-02-2006, 20:02   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Imagine a child today waking up to find frost on the windows, on the inside, and stepping out of bed on to ice-cold lino. Washing in tepid water because there's no hot water left. Going downstairs to find the coal fire, the only source of heating in the house, is just being lit and what bit of warmth it's got is going straight up the chimney. Walking to school no matter how cold, wet, windy or snowy it is, or how far it is.

Imagine that extremely rare child (though nearly every grown-up smokes), the one with asthma, whose "treatment" is being sent to stand next to the tar boiler, when the roads are mended, to inhale the vapours. Imagine being sent to play with your friend who has mumps so that you will catch it while you're young and "get it over with".

Imagine no telly, no computer, no CD player (no CDs), no ipod, no mobile phone. How did we survive?
Old 16-02-2006, 20:06   #23

Quote:
Imagine a child today waking up to find frost on the windows, on the inside, and stepping out of bed on to ice-cold lino. Washing in tepid water because there's no hot water left. Going downstairs to find the coal fire, the only source of heating in the house, is just being lit and what bit of warmth it's got is going straight up the chimney. Walking to school no matter how cold, wet, windy or snowy it is, or how far it is.
Jeez, I had forgotten that. I lived in a prefab for the first 9 years of my life. I used to get up especially to scratch pictures on the frost on the inside of the window.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 20:45   #24
Beacon of light

Yes, we made ice lollies on the window sill in our bedroom......and though we were freezing we still ate them......then we went to bed in nearly as many clothes as we went out in.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 20:47   #25

With a nice fat hot water bottle.
Old 16-02-2006, 21:03   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum
With a nice fat hot water bottle.
Between the thighs No ... don't delete !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 21:12   #27
Accy Goddess

Not only did we make ice lolly's but we used to eat the hanging iciccles.
The patterns jack frost made one the window were lovely.
The toast made on the open fire was out of this world.
I can remember on a cold winters day my parents burning old shoes to keep warm.
Oh,boy did they stink.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 21:18   #28

Toast and sausages on long toasting forks - heaven!!!!!!
Old 16-02-2006, 21:27   #29
Accy Goddess

Mmmm nothing makes toast better than an open fire. Now that's something I do miss.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 13:02   #30
Beacon of light

ooooh, that brings back memories. I was once hankering after some toast and my mother said the coals were not red enough to make toast (the fire hadn't been going very long)......I was insistent that it WAS red enough......so my mother cut me a shive of bread and let me put it on the coals........needless to say, mother was right and made me eat the blackened smoky dry bread. Moral of the story...trust your mother she really does know best!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..