Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 23:27   #1
Give, give, give member

How well used is the Observer website?

I may well moan about the quality of the stories in the Observer, but it is still an essential purchase each week.

What puzzles me though is the weekly feature as to what's being said on it's website.

Each and every week there is a comment by Stacey Everett, Oswaldtwistle. She being the butty shop owner who went to the press after a teacher marched pupils out of her shop, when they should have been at school.

If the comments made any sense, or indeed exhibited a modicum of wit, they might be worthy of being reprinted. She informed us last week that she can't wait to leave this country. Perhaps we'll soon be informed when and where.

To me it seems like the barrel is being scraped, and poor Stacey is all they can find when they've scraped.

I occasionally read the website, but have never felt to join Ms. Everett in leaving a comment, has anyone else felt the urge to join her?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2008, 23:33   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: How well used is the Observer website?

never looked at it, might well have done if it was still a good paper. the " Butty Shops" bin fer sale a while now.
Old 09-10-2008, 23:36   #3
Resting in Peace

That 'anon' guy gets a lot of coverage too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:40   #4
Give, give, give member

It almost makes me wish for the return of the loathed 'grumpy old man' column, they replaced Gayle's with.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:44   #5
God Member

Think a lot of ex-pats use the site, it is a good way for them to keep up to date on news from home
Old 09-10-2008, 23:49   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It almost makes me wish for the return of the loathed 'grumpy old man' column, they replaced Gayle's with.
I'll subscribe to that.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:54   #7
Resting in Peace

Just checked out her comment this week on Paddy, our local street cleaner, handing back a large amount of money dropped in the street.

She was the only comment on this story .. so not well used is it ?

Have done a couple myself, but to no avail. Don't think they enter enough stories from each publication.

Hey, just noticed re. the story of the guy 'Date my Dad Failure' .. story of his first date ... a website comment in the Observer this week from 'Anon' "He picked sausage and mash for a first date. How did he think the date would end ?".
If you go into the website .. this comment was made by Stacey Everett. Looks like they are embarrassed by publishing too many of her comments.
Old 09-10-2008, 23:56   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think a lot of ex-pats use the site, it is a good way for them to keep up to date on news from home
Yes, this is true Bernie. When I visited my friends in Spain earlier last month, tried to tell them about local news, and they proclaimed proudly that they had already seen it on the web.
Old 09-10-2008, 23:56   #9
God Member

Where are you finding the comments section on the website ?

Usually check the site out to see if I know anyone who is dead . Think it's reasonable not to expect a full on-line version , would mean a complete loss of revenue, but for a small local rag its not a bad web-site and provides a good link for folks who live out of the circulation area or overseas
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 00:03   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Where are you finding the comments section on the website ?
You just have to go into each article Steeljack .. go to the bottom and it invites you to submit a comment or view any already entered.
Old 10-10-2008, 00:15   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You just have to go into each article Steeljack .. go to the bottom and it invites you to submit a comment or view any already entered.
Thanks Kate , got it figured out , thought it was a separate section .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25   #12

I have the obituaries on my favourites list, so I can go right to the page. or I go to the ex pats comments.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03   #13
Resting in Peace

Well in comperison with the LT it's a waste of space, never seems to be up-to-date, when I've been on, but anyway I get the Obs every week, so I tend not to bother with the web site now.
Old 10-10-2008, 18:14   #14
Caz
God Member

The LT's comments section is awful, some of the comments people put on there are disgusting and it is not moderated well enough, think they just rely on reports being made.

Haven't checked the Obby one but will take a look now, but had noticed the Stacey Everett thing in the paper, where they print the web comments.
Surely they can't be that low on website comments they have to use hers every week, or maybe they think her name will attract attention to the article.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
The LT's comments section is awful, some of the comments people put on there are disgusting and it is not moderated well enough, think they just rely on reports being made.

Haven't checked the Obby one but will take a look now, but had noticed the Stacey Everett thing in the paper, where they print the web comments.
Surely they can't be that low on website comments they have to use hers every week, or maybe they think her name will attract attention to the article.
Wasn't just talking about the comments section cazzer, just the web site in gerneral, its update regularly (all the items a ime stamped ) with the Obs they don't seem to update until well after publication.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..