Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 00:19   #1

Talking hyndburn council

hi did you no that P Britcliffe from hyndburn bc in his allowances got 22.565.72 this last year Also that M Pritchard got just 1.00 you are the 1st tono
malcolm.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2007, 05:53   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: hyndburn council

No I didn't know that but I am sure everyone will after Fridays Observer comes out.

I would expect the leader of the Council to claim the most expenses, wouldn't you?
Without seeing a full breakdown of that £22.565.72 how can anyone say it is excessive, which is what you are obviously hoping people will say?

Why did Cllr M Pritchard not claim anything else? Did he fill the form in wrong? Maybe he earns enough money to not need payment for all the many hours I would expect him to give up doing his duties. I know I could not afford to do what is at least a part time job for nothing, could or would you?

I do hope you are going to carry on this conversation and you are not just trying to stir up trouble like so many recent new members.

Sorry if I appear to be a little hard on you but we have had some right idiots join AccyWeb recently, I do hope you will prove to not be one of them and will carry on posting with the rest of us.

Last edited by Neil; 11-07-2007 at 05:56.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32   #3
Resident Waffler

Dramatic first post there Malcolm.

As Neil says I do hope you are going to follow this up with some more enlightening information.

I could make a sweeping statement such as "Do you realise one of my daughters has claimed travelling expenses from me for the past fortnight and the other one hasn't had a penny?" without adding that the reason for that is that one has had some travelling to do by public transport and the other one hasn't been any further than her feet could take her.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47   #4
God Member

They are all allowed a certain amount of allowances. Some people feel that it's wrong to claim them. I don't see the point in not claiming and being out of pocket.

Much as I disagree quite often with Cllr Britcliffe's policies, I am aware that he puts in a heck of amount of time working for the council. As does Malcolm Pritchard but just because Malcolm doesn't claim expenses doesn't make his work more worthy!

The only way to get younger people onto the council is to make it attractive enough to compensate them for all the other things they'd miss out on.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm.eric View Post
hi did you no that P Britcliffe from hyndburn bc in his allowances got 22.565.72 this last year Also that M Pritchard got just 1.00 you are the 1st tono
would it be ill of me to assume
that you fly the flag of m pritchard
and not the flag of p britcliffe

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 13:04   #6
Resting in peace

I have no problem with councillors claiming expenses, In the old days the only people who could afford to serve on the Council were the self employed/ employer classes, this lead to nepotism and in some cases downright corrupt practises. If the payment of expenses leads to attracting the best talent so be it, £22.000 is not a great deal of money for the right people most of who could earn far more on the 'open' job market.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 13:05   #7
Resident Waffler

There's also the point that in order to claim expenses one needs to have actually spent them in the first place.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 13:13   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
They are all allowed a certain amount of allowances. Some people feel that it's wrong to claim them. I don't see the point in not claiming and being out of pocket.

Much as I disagree quite often with Cllr Britcliffe's policies, I am aware that he puts in a heck of amount of time working for the council. As does Malcolm Pritchard but just because Malcolm doesn't claim expenses doesn't make his work more worthy!

The only way to get younger people onto the council is to make it attractive enough to compensate them for all the other things they'd miss out on.
i can live with that.
Old 11-07-2007, 13:42   #9
God Member

Quote:

I guess what the point of the post was... kinda backfired though hasn't it
Old 11-07-2007, 13:55   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
I guess what the point of the post was... kinda backfired though hasn't it
kinda what i was thinking.
Old 11-07-2007, 14:05   #11
God Member

Do councillors have to declare their other income from occupations and investments/interests (as MPs do)?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 14:57   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Do councillors have to declare their other income from occupations and investments/interests (as MPs do)?
I think they do. There was a bit of a kerfuffle when it was alleged that Peter Britcliffe didn't declare an interest when the bus station was moved, and the new position of said bus station might benefit custom at his frock shop.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 15:00   #13
God Member

Quote:

Are you Malcolm Pritchard?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 17:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think they do. There was a bit of a kerfuffle when it was alleged that Peter Britcliffe didn't declare an interest when the bus station was moved, and the new position of said bus station might benefit custom at his frock shop.
In case you didn't know Peter Britcliffe's 'frock shop' is now an ice cream parlour.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 17:40   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
In case you didn't know Peter Britcliffe's 'frock shop' is now an ice cream parlour.

Yes I did know.

Though at the time of the bus station move he was still in frocks, so to speak.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..