Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2011, 07:28   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn Council Underspend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Lord Britcliffe, Earl of Oswaldtwistle.
He'd have to have been born either side of t'lamp, to claim that noble title.

He wasn't, so would have to settle for the lesser courtesy title of Archduke of Accy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2011, 08:23   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've just had the budget through and it's a fairly weighty tome but I will be asking questions about it. From a quick glance it seems that the main area of interest will be Policy and Corporate Governance.
The last Government put a lot of weght on ticking boxes to show how Hyndburn was performing in meeting targets, achieving policy objectives and implementing new government dictats. The more ticks you got, the higher your score. If you got enough ticks, you got the title "Excellent". As we've seen often enough from postings on this site, such an award was ludicrous in Hyndburn's case.

However, such box ticking brought with it a whole raft of bureaucracy which took pen-pushing onto a new level. Hence the astronomical Policy and Corporate Governance budget.

If the Council can get an assurance from Eric Pickles and his colleagues that the new Coalition Government is sweeping aside all that bureaucracy, then your budget setting will become a piece of cake, Ken. Good Luck!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 08:39   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The last Government put a lot of weght on ticking boxes to show how Hyndburn was performing in meeting targets, achieving policy objectives and implementing new government dictats. The more ticks you got, the higher your score. If you got enough ticks, you got the title "Excellent". As we've seen often enough from postings on this site, such an award was ludicrous in Hyndburn's case.

However, such box ticking brought with it a whole raft of bureaucracy which took pen-pushing onto a new level. Hence the astronomical Policy and Corporate Governance budget.

If the Council can get an assurance from Eric Pickles and his colleagues that the new Coalition Government is sweeping aside all that bureaucracy, then your budget setting will become a piece of cake, Ken. Good Luck!
Budget setting for Labour is never a piece of cake gynn, ask Gordon Brown, Saviour of the Universe (self acclaimed)
Old 13-01-2011, 12:06   #19
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Budget setting for Labour is never a piece of cake gynn, ask Gordon Brown, Saviour of the Universe (self acclaimed)
Once again I'll point out that we're in Hyndburn, Jaysay. If you want to try and bring national politics into it, something which is so far removed as to be a separate entity, then carry on. We have quite enough to worry about following 7 straight years of Conservative-run Hyndburn without trying to pin the blame on 13 years of Labour government.

For everyone else, the council has a lot more say in its own finances than you would be led to believe. There isn't a huge pot of money as the majority of council tax goes to Lancashire County Council but there has been more than enough opportunity for the current controlling group to whittle out wasteful spending. I didn't hear any of the Tory faithful bleating about 'Labour's borrowing' when the grant money was rolling in for Conservative projects in Oswaldtwistle or the handout for the defunct Hyndburn Life website.

Whatever colour badge you happen to be wearing, the controlling councillors up at Scaitcliffe House are ultimately responsible for how Hyndburn money is accounted for.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 17:57   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Once again I'll point out that we're in Hyndburn, Jaysay. If you want to try and bring national politics into it, something which is so far removed as to be a separate entity, then carry on. We have quite enough to worry about following 7 straight years of Conservative-run Hyndburn without trying to pin the blame on 13 years of Labour government.

For everyone else, the council has a lot more say in its own finances than you would be led to believe. There isn't a huge pot of money as the majority of council tax goes to Lancashire County Council but there has been more than enough opportunity for the current controlling group to whittle out wasteful spending. I didn't hear any of the Tory faithful bleating about 'Labour's borrowing' when the grant money was rolling in for Conservative projects in Oswaldtwistle or the handout for the defunct Hyndburn Life website.

Whatever colour badge you happen to be wearing, the controlling councillors up at Scaitcliffe House are ultimately responsible for how Hyndburn money is accounted for.
Saw you keep saying, but yet there's £750000 underspend, seems they must have cut out the lunchtime butties
Old 13-01-2011, 18:10   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Saw you keep saying, but yet there's £750000 underspend, seems they must have cut out the lunchtime butties
No I can confirm the butties are still there. I was having a sandwich with Peter in he's office after the cabinet meeting on Tuesday. Mind you, they could have been left over from the Christmas Party I suppose.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 18:12   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
No I can confirm the butties are still there. I was having a sandwich with Peter in he's office after the cabinet meeting on Tuesday. Mind you, they could have been left over from the Christmas Party I suppose.
See Bernard, frugal to letter is our Peter Mind you there may have been a slight extra expense for clingfilm

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..