Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 18:03   #196
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn Local Elections - 5th May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I was a joke, Gynn and myself go back along way.
I'm quite aware it was a joke Bernard, you must know gynn very well
Old 08-05-2011, 18:09   #197
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Had a long discussion about implementing what we promised. About the many issues and problems left to us. About the hundreds of small changes, about each ward. About the long term view. About the options that Labour councillors will have to consider.
What has it got to do with you? Ken Moss and others told us that local politics and parliamentary/party politics were two completely different animals, we were advised to ignore the colour of the rosette and vote for the person. If this is so couldn't you have had deep and meaningful discussions with PB about was best for the borough of Hyndburn.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:13   #198
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
politicians don't feel the barbs of insults, they only feel pain in their wallets.
Think your spot on with that one Margaret, but if I had ever been fit to be a councillor, it wouldn't have applied to me because I always said I wouldn't claim a penny in allowances just out of pocket expenses, you see I was brought up in politics when councillors did their duties for the good of the community not their pockets, which meant that you actually got people who genuinely wanted to make a difference. As people know I was involved in politics for many years I was also very much involved with numerous charities, so my involvement within the community actually cost me money rather than make it, but I wouldn't have it any other way, at least I could sleep at night with a clear conscience
Old 08-05-2011, 18:14   #199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
What has it got to do with you? Ken Moss and others told us that local politics and parliamentary/party politics were two completely different animals, we were advised to ignore the colour of the rosette and vote for the person. If this is so couldn't you have had deep and meaningful discussions with PB about was best for the borough of Hyndburn.
Think that discussion would have had to be in a boxing ring yerself
Old 08-05-2011, 19:29   #200
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
That's sort of what I was driving at but not entirely. Voting for a badge should not be the be all and end all of your ballot, for instance if you were staunch Tory but knew in your heart of hearts that they weren't the best for the job it makes the vote worthless, same with any candidate of any colour. Graham was easily the best man for the job of MP which is why he will always have my support and that of every other Labour councillor (I suspect a few Tories on the quiet as well). I could point to Ken Hargreaves as a man who was respected for his worth rather than his badge.

What I personally am trying to get away from is councillors purely being standard bearers for the national party and getting people to recognise the wheat from the chaff in Hyndburn when it comes to the ballot box.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:09   #201
Senior Member+

No opposition leader made as many positive contributions as I did. I worked with PB and though the means was unconstructive, the ends, though small changes, were positive.

Velcro recycling bags, rate relief for clubs, scrapping of group repairs, improved cleansing, establishment of a dedicated enforcement unit, opposing Lancashire LEP, opening of infront of the town hall.

I wanted to work with Peter. He didn't want to work with me or in fact his own members who received the same 'hairdryer treatment'.

My caseload contains much to do with HBC. As a resident and Labour Party member - we have a joint responsibility.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 22:20   #202
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was probably just as hard to work wi Caligua.
Old 08-05-2011, 22:48   #203
Resting in Peace

The next council meeting is going to be really interesting. 24th May ?

Hope to make it .. PB will be a formidable opponent.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:03   #204
Give, give, give member

Will it make a difference to us mere mortals, having a council, and M.P., from the same party?

Been a while since it's been like this.

Shouldn't really make a difference, I suppose..

Though there might be some benefits to Hyndburn. Having the leader of the council, and our represntative at Westminster, singing from the same hymn sheet.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:07   #205
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I think I remember the last time you came to a Council meeting. Was it the controversial one?
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:14   #206

Tempted to go too.
Josie Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:15   #207
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Not sure about that Kate,he was rejected at National level a while ago, presumably cos he wasn't good enough, the locals may just bite his ass, yeh never know, its a funny old game.
Old 08-05-2011, 23:18   #208
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Will it make a difference to us mere mortals, having a council, and M.P., from the same party?

Been a while since it's been like this.

Shouldn't really make a difference, I suppose..

Though there might be some benefits to Hyndburn. Having the leader of the council, and our represntative at Westminster, singing from the same hymn sheet.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
It does help. But they don't necessarily have to be from the same party. What's important is that everyone is pushing in the same direction. Egos can get in the way sometime of course.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:21   #209
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I think I remember the last time you came to a Council meeting. Was it the controversial one?
Don't know if it was the last, but Katex was an eye-witness on Silly Cow & Gate night.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 23:24   #210
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

am being the Devils Advocate here, if i was a local Tory i may just think the odds on us ever regaining control of Hyndburn may get a lot longer if the public thought P.B. was ever gonna return as leader.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..