Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 14:16   #1
Senior Member+

I have had my id stolen !!!

some lowlife in the uk set up an account in 2004 with well known bank - it sounds like flabby rational
and have been spending under my name - this only came to light when I got a letter saying that I owe them money in an account thats now gone overdrawn - they had my name, address & d.o.b.
Now I got on to them & their fraud dept. and this morning I had to go to one of their banks with a letter stating that this account has totally nothing to do with me in any way and it was faxed to their fraud dept.
now I found out that they have bought the usual crap - phones, electrical stuff and even set up direct debits
but the guy kinda didnt believe me this morning when I said I have never been in one of their banks, never had an account with them and never had a card with them - was made to feel like a criminal sitting there whilst this guy was shouting fraud about the place
I told him they wont get a penny from me and I will happily go to court if needed - now has this happened to anyone else and if so how quickly was it resolved ??
and how can someone set up and account using somone elses stuff ??

thanks
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2006, 14:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: I have had my id stolen !!!

sorry to hear that mate

its quite easily done - the fact that the post office got fined a few mill for losing mail just shows how ur mail ended up in the wrong hands... i was listeing to 5live the other day and they were sayin even junk mail - or what we wud consider junk mail cud count against us - all those credit card applications etc...

my bro in law got the same done to him adn some guy bought a motorbike on his name - now i think he goes to the post office to collect the mail. but even then that doesnt help against the mail that doesnt even get there...
Old 11-02-2006, 17:56   #3

It has got to made illegal for credit card firms to send out forms with names and addresses already printed on the them. We shred everything, but, as you say, what happens to the mail you never get. I personally do not trust the post as far as I could throw it. If I do send stuff down to London, it goes special delivery.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:11   #4
white rabbits

thats awfal glasgow guy... i hope they sort things out quickly..
Old 11-02-2006, 18:16   #5
God Member

I know it's slightly different and not fraud. But after reaching the grand ole age of 35 I have just been notified that I have been using the wrong NI no for the past 19 years!!!!! How?? you might ask.. It turns out that another girl at the age of 16 with the same DOB and name as me was given the same no that I was given, unfortunately it was me that got the wrong one! It has only come to light because the other person has had a child and made a claim for family allowance... what a nightmare it has been. I got a letter from NI contributions stating that I live in scotland (although they sent letter to my home in Gt harwood), work in blackburn but also work at Heathrow airport... Now how flippin clever am I???!!!!???

So now trying to sort out if all my NI contributions have gone into the right pension fund etc...

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:17   #6
God Member

Make sure you get it all removed from your credit history as well, theres 2 places
Experian and Equifax

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:34   #7
I am Banned

sorry to hear that man and after seeing a few cases on TV even when you clear yourself there is always a mark against your name with credit companies even though they know it wasnt you ,your best off talking to a solicitor about after effects

luckily my credit rating is so poor all a criminal would get would be laughed at if he applied for credit with my details
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:42   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

you said the account was set up in 2004!
did you not get any letters before like statements etc?

sorry to hear though bud, i hope you this this sorted!
check the signature that was used to open the account,they should know then that its not yours
Old 11-02-2006, 20:34   #9
Full Member+

My uncle ( Aged 73) started getting threatening phone calls off debt collectors for unpaid e-bay charges! He struggled with the telly remote let alone the internet. Seems the scrote who took over his flat used the details on junk mail to set up a dodgy account. The debt collectors got a bl**dy short shrift off me.
Old 11-02-2006, 22:41   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
.....I live in scotland ... but also work at Heathrow airport... Now how flippin clever am I???!!!!???
Very clever. That is a long commute in your red bus
Old 12-02-2006, 12:06   #11
Senior Member+

And i bet the bank still havnt sorted it within 6 months ...
Mum and dad had their credit cards cloned at the petrol station in Oswaldtwistle that isnt there anymore....
They had to be interviewed by the local CID etc and make statements to say they hadnt been using their cards at certain places at certain times. The whole thing only came to light when the bank manager noticed that my parents spending habits had changed and they was heavily dipping into their life savings !
Their bank account was frozen untill it was all sorted and had to get a loan from the bank untill everything was sorted.
Now if my parents use their cards and somebody says to them we need to take your card to the phone to verify a transaction, they will not allow that card out of their sights and demand to go where the card goes to double check.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:36   #12
God Member

Goes to show nothing is safe anymore.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 03:50   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy
some lowlife in the uk set up an account in 2004 with well known bank - it sounds like flabby rational
and have been spending under my name - this only came to light when I got a letter saying that I owe them money in an account thats now gone overdrawn - they had my name, address & d.o.b.
Now I got on to them & their fraud dept. and this morning I had to go to one of their banks with a letter stating that this account has totally nothing to do with me in any way and it was faxed to their fraud dept.
now I found out that they have bought the usual crap - phones, electrical stuff and even set up direct debits
but the guy kinda didnt believe me this morning when I said I have never been in one of their banks, never had an account with them and never had a card with them - was made to feel like a criminal sitting there whilst this guy was shouting fraud about the place
I told him they wont get a penny from me and I will happily go to court if needed - now has this happened to anyone else and if so how quickly was it resolved ??
and how can someone set up and account using somone elses stuff ??

thanks
ive been recieveing statements for over a year now with someone using my account at a bank that i have never even set up an account with! they have only used it to pay there ntl with but my 'statements" still came to 200.00 pound, i have been into the branch a numerous amount of times and for some reason always been turned away they were either saying that they were to busy or that theyd sort it out, i got a letter a week ago saying that id be taken to court if it wasnt paid up within a certain date, i marched again into the bank and demanded to see someone within 5 mins i had explained that i had been in numerous amounts of time, been to both accrington and blackburn branches and i had never in my life set up an account that it was causing me stree (which it was) and within 48 hours they had stopped my account, there was no way i was going to court!. It had taken them 11 months to sort mine out! good luck!!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 13:31   #14
Resting in peace

Buy a home shredder, and use it. Mine cost about £6.99, and well worth the money. Shred all your bank slips, and all the junk mail that comes in that might just be used by someone else. One of my colleagues had a lodger who collected all the junk mail and used it to apply for cards, etc, in his name. It took a while to sort out.

The only other alternative is to have a lousy credit rating!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..