Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 21:28   #1
Senior Member+

Talking I Was Looking For Local History On The Web And ......

I was really looking for information about Dill Hall Cemetary. Have heard that it was once bigger than what it is now and that there was a possibility that the council houses was built on the old church yard grounds.
Well as i was searching, a link came up about ancestry. I decided to click on it cause i was bored. I typed in my name, as you do and a list came up. Nothing unusual i thought as i browsed down. Suddenly i found myself wanting to click on one of the names. Dont know why, just had an urge to do it. Really glad i did as it was somebody asking for details on my late Grandmother and Grandfather.
I emailed the person asking the questions, through talking back and forth today we have discovered we are 3rd cousins, once removed and please dont ask me to explain that.
During the course of this week i will be emailing her photos of missing family links she has not got. She has managed so far to trace our family back to 1700's
My new family relative is in NYC.

Just had to share that with you all.

Chrissie
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2006, 21:59   #2
God Member

Re: I Was Looking For Local History On The Web And ......

sounds great jimmi what a piece of luck, any chance of showing the link you came across?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 21:59   #3
Resting in Peace

Well, thanks for sharing that story 'Chrissie' .. was lovely, you will have us all at it now. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 22:23   #4
Senior Member+

mancie, it was probably a chance link. You can try geaniology.com (probably spelled that wrong), type in your surname and off you go !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 22:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
mancie, it was probably a chance link. You can try geaniology.com (probably spelled that wrong), type in your surname and off you go !
OK cheers i'll give it a go
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:59   #6
Resident Waffler

It's spelt genealogy.

It's exciting when you find someone like that isn't it Chrissie? I've found living family I never knew about too from the "Ancestral File" which is a vast collection of interlinked family trees submitted by different people. The information is only as accurate as the people who submit it so there can be mistakes.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 03-05-2006 at 10:04.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 20:14   #7

Unhappy Re: I Was Looking For Local History On The Web And ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
I was really looking for information about Dill Hall Cemetary. Have heard that it was once bigger than what it is now and that there was a possibility that the council houses was built on the old church yard grounds.
Well as i was searching, a link came up about ancestry. I decided to click on it cause i was bored. I typed in my name, as you do and a list came up. Nothing unusual i thought as i browsed down. Suddenly i found myself wanting to click on one of the names. Dont know why, just had an urge to do it. Really glad i did as it was somebody asking for details on my late Grandmother and Grandfather.
I emailed the person asking the questions, through talking back and forth today we have discovered we are 3rd cousins, once removed and please dont ask me to explain that.
During the course of this week i will be emailing her photos of missing family links she has not got. She has managed so far to trace our family back to 1700's
My new family relative is in NYC.

Just had to share that with you all.

Chrissie

It wasn't bigger, It's bigger now there are more graves, but there were three Churches one for Roman Catholics a bit of it's left, that is used as a stores or something now. Then the centre one was for Cof Es and the one at the end was for Baptists and Methodists I think. Much nicer when the Chapels were there you could have a little service before the burial. Also a lot of the graves have been vandalised. a lot have had to be moved ( gravestones I mean ) Now you can't tell where some of the graves were.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..