Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2010, 15:56   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish.

I have an ex-wife that is Irish, O.K. she and I don't talk, (that is the way of life, we can no longer tolerate each other).

Today, I was sharing a pub with people that 'claim', to be Irish, they weren't just in the pub, they where in your face in the pub!

The attitude was, 'We, are here, we will make as much noise as we want and stuff the rest of you', one was wearing a T-Shirt proudly announcing he was Irish.

Is this a Class thing on my behalf?

I can honestly say that although she and I don't talk her relatives that have been over here for more than 40 years wouldn't behave so appallingly and make life awkward for others, as this crowd did, are we losing the Decent Irish and ending up with the dregs?

If so ignore your usual prejudice, look a little closer to home, we don't need this!

(Yes I know they aren't proper Irish they are the other ones).

Forgive me for not naming them, put it down to my P.C. upbringing, If I did mention the type I'd be a proper little Tinker.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2010, 16:21   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish.

Sadly you can get ignoramuses from every nation.

We had some foul mouthed, effin' and jeffin' Irish idiots, who spent all day screaming abuse at their poor kids, plonked right next to us, on a near deserted beach, the other year.

We did say something, which resulted in a torrent of abuse. Which was then returned...with knobs on.

They could have been Spaniards, Germans, or Swedes, in fairness, but I wouldn't have understood their potty mouths.

If we hadn't paid for the sunbeds and parasols, we'd have moved, and sod the turty tree euros cost.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 16:25   #3
God Member

are you refering to gypos they speak with a sorta messed up irish sounding accent ?

speaking of which have you seen how much the numbers have increased on that small plot of land at church traffic lights ?

why teh police havnt moved them on i dont know,it started with 1 caravan a couple of weeks ago and now theres a convoy of cars and trucks and a fair few caravans to boot.No doubt all tehir crap will be left behind as per usual

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 16:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sadly you can get ignoramuses from every nation.

We had some foul mouthed, effin' and jeffin' Irish idiots, who spent all day screaming abuse at their poor kids, plonked right next to us, on a near deserted beach, the other year.

We did say something, which resulted in a torrent of abuse. Which was then returned...with knobs on.

They could have been Spaniards, Germans, or Swedes, in fairness, but I wouldn't have understood their potty mouths.

If we hadn't paid for the sunbeds and parasols, we'd have moved, and sod the turty tree euros cost.

Please, don't think of the ordinary Irish to be like that, I spent nearly 30 years amongst wonderful people, I'm not ashamed either of my ex-wife or her family for their origin's I do however object to the idea that this 'erm, scum should be associated with true Irish people.
Old 19-06-2010, 16:27   #5
Give, give, give member

The best thing to do is to wrestle one to the ground, and while you have 'em pinned to the floor, demand he tell you where the pot of gold is.

Old 19-06-2010, 16:28   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Please, don't think of the ordinary Irish to be like that, I spent nearly 30 years amongst wonderful people, I'm not ashamed either of my wife or her family for their origin's I do however object to the idea that this 'erm, scum should be associated with true Irish people.

I don't.

No way.

Sadly there's a few bad apples in every national basket.

Old 19-06-2010, 16:31   #7
Give, give, give member

Less, I've seen English people abroad, who were probably just as bad, and made me ashamed that the locals would tar the entire nation, after seeing a not so fine example of Anglo-Saxons abroad.

Old 19-06-2010, 17:02   #8
God Member

probably plastic paddies most normal irish get on with their life,these dregs of society claim to be irish but ar scum you know the ones who keep singing about killing british soldiers
Old 19-06-2010, 17:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
probably plastic paddies most normal irish get on with their life,these dregs of society claim to be irish but ar scum you know the ones who keep singing about killing british soldiers
Please, if you have a problem with the I.R.A. (for example), start your own thread, I'm talking about the Irish, so called Irish that leave litter after they leave their temporary home and various pubs in ruins, compared with the Irish that have always been hard working members of our community.
Old 19-06-2010, 17:53   #10
God Member

you misunderstand me, the i.r.a. are on ceasefire and have republican marches,the irish you talk about are the dregs of irish society who have no pride in themselves and start singing songs about killing british soldiers to make themselves sound more irish because the rest of the irish society has ignored them.
Old 19-06-2010, 18:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
you misunderstand me, the i.r.a. are on ceasefire and have republican marches,the irish you talk about are the dregs of irish society who have no pride in themselves and start singing songs about killing british soldiers to make themselves sound more irish because the rest of the irish society has ignored them.
No, I think you misunderstand me, there are the singist's, there are the genuine Irish people, both visitors and incommers, (welcome), and there are the tow rags that have nowhere else to go, just managed to get over here, can't get anywhere else, (the ferries won't take them to Europe or back, too much hassle), so we are stuck with them, isn't it time they learnt some manners? Even fighting amongst themselves they wreck wherever they are?

Old 19-06-2010, 19:55   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

That'll be the "Irish Gypsies" then. I do believe we went down this road earlier this year (checked back 03.01.10 GypoDec). these travellers/tinkers were highlighted then. Unfortunately their reputation precedes them, so as soon as they start turning up hackles are already raised.

It is not only in Uk you see them, in the Summer months I've often seen convoys of battered trucks with building kit loaded aboard & a ragtag assortment of people & animals heading for some Town or other & where they land it doesn't take long for the locals to be up in arms.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 21:51   #13

The best thing to do with this version of the "tinker" is to tell it to sod off.
They can't roof, they can't wall and they can't even bloody tarmac.
Get back to the fairs so we only have to see you twice a year.
And before anyone shouts "RACIST" I'm a Molloy (so there). yah boo sucks
setayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 21:54   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setayas View Post
The best thing to do with this version of the "tinker" is to tell it to sod off.
They can't roof, they can't wall and they can't even bloody tarmac.
Get back to the fairs so we only have to see you twice a year.
And before anyone shouts "RACIST" I'm a Molloy (so there). yah boo sucks
was no tinkers on the gaff when i worked it!! is this summat new?
Old 19-06-2010, 21:59   #15

What?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..