Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02   #46
God Member

Re: I'd rather this was in anything goes!

May I remind members that:

"If you are sent a PM by a Moderator please consider it a private matter Do Not post anything about it or the moderators in the forum.
Also if you have a complaint about one of the mods please use the PM system do NOT post on site."

Margaret you reported the post and then posted in two separate threads about how I had allegedly broken the rules. There's no need to post in the two threads, there's a report post button for a reason.

Garinda your posts were removed because they were about a moderator that could have easily have been solved in PM, at the time of the incident you were referring to, or at the time you decided to post about it publicly.

It's a hard job being a moderator, and I have great respect for the other mods who have done it a lot longer than I have.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I have great respect for the other mods who have done it a lot longer than I have.
We can agree on that point.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20   #48
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps a mod/admin that started a thread, continues to be heavily involved with that thread, is not the person that should be deciding what should or should not be removed from that thread?

That way he/she can't be accused of being biased?

Quote:

It's a hard job being a moderator, and I have great respect for the other mods who have done it a lot longer than I have.
I take it my suggestion, by the fact you ignored it will be considered a no, no, Then?

Yes it is hard being a mod', even harder to make the correct decision when the thread is someones personal little treasure.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

how the hell are you supposed to define if the P.M. is sent by the Mod or sent by the Mod as a member? with some it is not clear n therefore hard to define.
Old 01-03-2009, 13:32   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
how the hell are you supposed to define if the P.M. is sent by the Mod or sent by the Mod as a member? with some it is not clear n therefore hard to define.
Well personally I'd take a Private Message to mean what it says. Garinda didn't understand whether my message was personal or moderator hat. Instead of replying and asking me, he waited to use it against me in a thread. There's no need to do this so the post was deleted, he's now upset and doesn't 'trust' me. It's quite easy for him or anybody else to contact a moderator if they're unsure about something, rather than trying to use it in a thread as an argument.

Less I have posted in the moderator section for them all to discuss your proposal.

Last edited by andrewb; 01-03-2009 at 13:35.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 13:37   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Less I have posted in the moderator section for them all to discuss your proposal.
Good I'm glad to hear it, I also hope it is taken up then at least the mods can continue to post and generate threads, without all this stupid caffuffle.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 13:48   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Well personally I'd take a Private Message to mean what it says. Garinda didn't understand whether my message was personal or moderator hat. Instead of replying and asking me, he waited to use it against me in a thread. There's no need to do this so the post was deleted, he's now upset and doesn't 'trust' me. It's quite easy for him or anybody else to contact a moderator if they're unsure about something, rather than trying to use it in a thread as an argument.

then perhaps if it aint just general discussion or information as people get from mods,myself incuded, it would be sensible fer the sender to state if it was in official areas.
Old 01-03-2009, 14:12   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well personally I'd take a Private Message to mean what it says. Garinda didn't understand whether my message was personal or moderator hat. Instead of replying and asking me, he waited to use it against me in a thread.
Er...as a matter of fact I did reply to your pm, demanding I stop doing something.

Even though it was worded very curtly, I took the chance it wasn't an official warning from a moderator, and replied by telling you that I wouldn't desist.

It was genuinely confusing as to it's staus, it certainly didn't have the usual smilies, or even a lovely X at the end.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 14:19   #54

Can I just add something that I find quite disturbing - at 22.07 on 16/02/2009 - there was a post by new member named 'Boris' - this post contained a 'very thinly' veiled personal attack on a member of this forum. I reported the post almost immediately, as did at least 1 other member but despite the fact that there was a mderator online until the early hours of the following morning, the post was not altered until after 9.00 am on the morning of 17/02/2009.

I was not the member being attacked - and would have accepted a personal attack - because as a Councillor I know that I must 'grin and bear' any criticism leveled against me on Accyweb (or answer back). But a completely unprovoked personal attack on any other member is unacceaptable in my opinion.

Incidentaly I do think Margaret was right in pointing out that the telephone number should not have been published on Accyweb, without the owner of that telephone's permission. I know it is freely available on HBC website - as are the numbers of all councillors but that does not give anyone the permission to post the number on here.

Regarding thread wanders - it is something that happens - and would certainly happen if we were all talking face to face. It usually provides a little 'light' relief and then everyone gets back to the topic. On occasions the thread wander has lead to people posing other important questions for which they would like answers.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 14:53   #55
God Member

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Moderator and a Technical Administrator. I thought I understood a Technical Administrator was someone who had been brought on board to help with upgrades and Linux stuff etc - I didn't realise that it meant moderating on threads as well.

Someone want to clarify for me please?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 15:00   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

good point gayle, have wondered meself.
Old 01-03-2009, 15:28   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference between a Moderator and a Technical Administrator. I thought I understood a Technical Administrator was someone who had been brought on board to help with upgrades and Linux stuff etc - I didn't realise that it meant moderating on threads as well.

Someone want to clarify for me please?
Sure, as a technical administrator I not only moderate but have deeper access to help with things like upgrading forum software etc.
Old 01-03-2009, 15:30   #58
Senior Member+

Strange that Boris hasn't had anything more constructive to say since then either!
I personally think that if , as a moderator, you are too close to the subject you shouldn't comment on it, you just leave yourself wide open to accusations. It's a difficult call, emotive subjects are hard to ignore, I wouldn't want to be involved in a conflict of interests.
Old 01-03-2009, 15:31   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thanks fer the clarification.
Old 01-03-2009, 15:41   #60
Resting in Peace

All staff members admin / moderators help out with the moderation as we all cant be on site all the time .
so if there is an admin on site and something needs moderating he/she can do

and by the way check forum rules
15: If you are sent a PM by a Moderator please consider it a private matter Do Not post anything about it or the moderators in the forum.
Also if you have a complaint about one of the mods please use the PM system do NOT post on site.

Last edited by Mick; 01-03-2009 at 15:44.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moderhaters, tantrums

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..