Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2007, 01:58   #1
God Member

If Only I Could

In a few hours my sister and her husband will be flying out to South Africa to visit my brother and his family. She is so lucky to be flying off for three weeks, I am quite envious to say the least. Since the kids have grown up it has always been my dream to go out to Australia to see Ian's Sister and then to drop in to see my Brother in South Africa but unfortunately as of yet this hasn't been an option. Am I on my own in having a dream that hasn't been fufilled? Where would be your dream destination if money was no object and cicumstances allowed? If only you could do anything what would you do?
Old 23-09-2007, 07:14   #2
Senior Member+

Re: If Only I Could

i would move across to the isle of angelsey
full time and save the journey time it takes
on a regular basis lovely bungalow lovely place
nice and simple just like me

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 08:22   #3
mez
God Member

my dream was to visit my friend cathy who emigrated to australia in 1966, we kept in contact by letter, then by phone, i always said "im going when 60yr old" but circumstances changed & i went when i was just 52yrs it was a fantastic time i loved the 3 weeks i spent there, would go back tommorrow, but.
Old 23-09-2007, 09:49   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

always wanted to do a World Cruise, approx 115 days seeing many places i always wanted, one day perhaps.
Old 23-09-2007, 10:47   #5

Mines slightly unusual. I just want to go to germany and do a lap of the nurburgring (the one thats now a public toll road not the rubbish track that f1 use). Id remember that for the rest of my life.
Old 23-09-2007, 11:51   #6
white rabbits

We did 16 cruises from 1998 till 2004, ,,,I dont think we will be able to do any more,because of our health...But i am very content with all my lovely memories ,,we have been to so many fabulous places and met some lovely people
Old 23-09-2007, 12:04   #7
Senior Member+

My dream would be to go to America (by plane of course) and then travel on horseback western style and visit the Native Indians campsites.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 12:48   #8
Beacon of light

For five years before I retired I saved up so that we could go to Oz and spend six months there touring around....you know the kind of thing...no expense spared...business calss travel, good hotels.....fine dining at good restaurants....then in 1999 hubby had a stroke and I thought that my plans would be consigned to the bin....anyway, eventually he recovered well and we DID the trip........He got homesick after 3 months, but I could quite easily have skipped off into the bush and never been seen again.
We travelled to Queensland and went out to the barrier reef......we went to Alice Springs and the Red Centre.......I did the King's Canyon walk (at %am in the morning - to beat the heat of the day)...we spent time looking around the wineries of South Australia.......had time in Sydney.....Perth was beautiful.
I have so many photographs and so many lovely memories to pick me up when it is cold and grey here.
One thing I haven't managed to do is The Sydney Harbour bridge climb....i would love to do that, but as time passes I realise I am getting a bit long in the tooth to do it now.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 13:01   #9
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
then in 1999 hubby had a stroke and I thought that my plans would be consigned to the bin....anyway, eventually he recovered well and we DID the trip........
I have so many photographs and so many lovely memories to pick me up when it is cold and grey here.
I am glad you did your trip Margaret ,,Yes i agree the photos are a great pick me up when you feel down,,nobody can take away your memories...
And to anyone else thinking of doing something special,"GET IT DONE",because you dont know whats round the corner...
Old 23-09-2007, 16:38   #10
God Member

Me I would have to say New Zealand. Beautiful scenery, wide open spaces, plenty of fishing, weather that is not to hot what more could you ask for. I did once book a trip there but had to cancel and never had the chance since which I do regret.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:48   #11
Give, give, give member

I'd love to go to Savannah, Georgia U.S.A. I've been to lots of places in the States through work, but never to the deep south. I've read lots of books about the place and I'd love to discover it for myself.

Bernie If I had a magic wand I'd whisk you and Ian off to South Africa to see your relatives x

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:51   #12
Resident Waffler

If money was no object and I had tons of time I'd love to travel across America in a camper van!

Apart from that I'd like to return to Tunisia and also visit Egypt and Dubai.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 16:53   #13
God Member

Cheers Garinda, my sister has just been in touch they are at Dubai now. they have a six hour wait and get to South Africa At eight thirty tomorrow morning
Old 23-09-2007, 16:59   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Cheers Garinda, my sister has just been in touch they are at Dubai now. they have a six hour wait and get to South Africa At eight thirty tomorrow morning
The best flight I ever took was from Cairo to Nairobi. We left just as dawn was breaking, and it was clear skies all the way down. To follow the Nile in the golden dawn, down towards the Sudan and Ethiopia, and see herds of animals running across the plains, was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 17:04   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The best flight I ever took was from Cairo to Nairobi. We left just as dawn was breaking, and it was clear skies all the way down. To follow the Nile in the golden dawn, down towards the Sudan and Ethiopia, and see herds of animals running across the plains, was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.
Memories nobody can take them off you, it sounds incredible

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..