Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26   #1
I am Banned

if this wasnt on a reputable news site i wouldnt believe it lol

i know we are all infidels but stupid infidels we are not lol

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...age/index.html

(CNN) -- A photograph posted on an Islamist Web site appears to be that of an action figure and not a U.S. soldier being held hostage.

Liam Cusack, the marketing coordinator for Dragon Models USA, said the figure pictured on the Web site is believed to be "Special Ops Cody," a military action figure the company manufactured in late 2003.

"It pretty much looks exactly like the same person," he said.

Cusack said he was contacted Tuesday morning by one of his retailers, who informed him that the alleged hostage appeared to be one of the company's action figures.

"I thought it was a joke at first," he said.

But after reading a report on a news Web site about a U.S. soldier allegedly being captured, "I looked at it and said, 'It does look like one of our action figures.'"

"Cody" is an action figure the company made for the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, which supplies U.S. military bases worldwide with various items. The doll was meant to look like a U.S. soldier who might be serving in Iraq, Cusack said.

On the Islamist Web site, a group calling itself the Al Mujahedeen Brigade, posted a photograph of a man it claimed was a captured U.S. soldier named John Adam, and it threatened to behead him if Iraqi prisoners are not released by U.S. forces.

Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad told The Associated Press that "no units have reported anyone missing."

The photograph showed the figure against a black flag with white lettering reading, "God is great, there is no god but Allah." A U.S. military assault rifle was pointed at its head. It appears that "rifle" was part of the plastic weaponry that came with the action figure.

The photograph immediately raised questions.

CNN military analyst James Marks, a retired Army general, questioned its authenticity.

He told CNN in a phone interview that the flak jacket in the picture had a kind of trim along the edges that he'd never seen before, and that the open-legged pants, as opposed to gathered hems, struck him as odd.

He also questioned what appeared to be camouflage paint on the face.

"We have not used camo paint with conventional forces serving in Iraq," Marks said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg story.hostage.ap.jpg (10.2 KB, 54 views)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33   #2
Wez

Re: if this wasnt on a reputable news site i wouldnt believe it lol

It does look like a doll.

I hate the war =(
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06   #3
God Member

Are you sure its not Councillor Britcliffe with Acrylic Bob holding the gun?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:45   #4
Wez

Lol!

I'd be impressed if it was; note the the extra handle beneath the gun shaft?

American soldiers posted in Iraq were equipped with modified M4's chambered to fire AK47 rounds so that they could acquire ammo on the move from fallen enemies etc, the handles were put on to help compensate for the extra recoil from the AK47 rounds..
(How sad am I)

If AB has one of those.. then he must have some serious black market contacts.
Old 02-02-2005, 13:03   #5
I am Banned

if barbie dosnt pay up soon her boyfriends gonna die
Old 02-02-2005, 13:21   #6
Resident Waffler

You can see "he" is propped up against the background. Even the position of the legs is so obviously doll-like. The link didn't work for me so maybe the story has been taken down.

Maybe the real soldiers were just too scary to kidnap so they thought they'd get the next best thing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 16:53   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i know we are all infidels but stupid infidels we are not lol

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...age/index.html

(CNN) -- A photograph posted on an Islamist Web site appears to be that of an action figure and not a U.S. soldier being held hostage.

Liam Cusack, the marketing coordinator for Dragon Models USA, said the figure pictured on the Web site is believed to be "Special Ops Cody," a military action figure the company manufactured in late 2003.

"It pretty much looks exactly like the same person," he said.

Cusack said he was contacted Tuesday morning by one of his retailers, who informed him that the alleged hostage appeared to be one of the company's action figures.

"I thought it was a joke at first," he said.

But after reading a report on a news Web site about a U.S. soldier allegedly being captured, "I looked at it and said, 'It does look like one of our action figures.'"

"Cody" is an action figure the company made for the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, which supplies U.S. military bases worldwide with various items. The doll was meant to look like a U.S. soldier who might be serving in Iraq, Cusack said.

On the Islamist Web site, a group calling itself the Al Mujahedeen Brigade, posted a photograph of a man it claimed was a captured U.S. soldier named John Adam, and it threatened to behead him if Iraqi prisoners are not released by U.S. forces.

Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad told The Associated Press that "no units have reported anyone missing."

The photograph showed the figure against a black flag with white lettering reading, "God is great, there is no god but Allah." A U.S. military assault rifle was pointed at its head. It appears that "rifle" was part of the plastic weaponry that came with the action figure.

The photograph immediately raised questions.

CNN military analyst James Marks, a retired Army general, questioned its authenticity.

He told CNN in a phone interview that the flak jacket in the picture had a kind of trim along the edges that he'd never seen before, and that the open-legged pants, as opposed to gathered hems, struck him as odd.

He also questioned what appeared to be camouflage paint on the face.

"We have not used camo paint with conventional forces serving in Iraq," Marks said.
good one mate.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 16:57   #8
Senior Member+

Nice one Chav ...LOL....
Old 03-02-2005, 00:07   #9
Always EVIL within us

Removal-man,

We on the Accyweb appreciate your input, but can you kindly remove excess comments from previous people when "quoting" please? Just leave the "important" bits!
Thank you.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:37   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Removal-man,

We on the Accyweb appreciate your input, but can you kindly remove excess comments from previous people when "quoting" please? Just leave the "important" bits!
Thank you.
no thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17   #11
Wez

Haha! You fly mo fo Removal man!

Seriously though, the more stuff you post, the longer it takes for the page to load, the more bandwidth taken up on BT's lines, the slower my connection hence my patience growing thin because I can't download enough MP3's and *YOU* are responsible for it all!!

So put a sock in it, or I'll knock yer teeth two blocks west of here.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:36   #12
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Wez]Haha! You fly mo fo Removal man!

Seriously though, the more stuff you post, the longer it takes for the page to load, the more bandwidth taken up on BT's lines, the slower my connection hence my patience growing thin because I can't download enough MP3's and *YOU* are responsible for it all!!

So put a sock in it, or I'll knock yer teeth two blocks west of here.[/QUwhy not save you winter fuel allowance?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:44   #13
I am Banned

[QUOTE=removal-man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Haha! You fly mo fo Removal man!

So put a sock in it, or I'll knock yer teeth two blocks west of here.[/QUwhy not save you winter fuel allowance?
ille put £5 on removal man and another £5 on his teeth as they come out and the two of them form a tag team
Old 03-02-2005, 13:12   #14
Wez

Chav, I have no idea what you were trying to convey with that incoherent mumble mate

Winter fuel allowance? Say what? You're the one who should be thinking of things like that, I'm 20 not 50. I still resent your lack of consideration, I really want this Backstreet Boys album
Old 03-02-2005, 15:34   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Chav, I have no idea what you were trying to convey with that incoherent mumble mate

Winter fuel allowance? Say what? You're the one who should be thinking of things like that, I'm 20 not 50. I still resent your lack of consideration, I really want this Backstreet Boys album
you put that you would knock removal mans teeth out

i put £5 on both removal man and his teeth winning as he can remove his teeth and tag team you

kinda made the joke weak coz i had to explain it though lol

edit:

i messed up removal man said he would knock your teeth out all the quotes confused my eyes

i appologise for my mistake although i would like to keep my bet on removal man and his teeth should a fight occur

Last edited by chav1; 03-02-2005 at 15:36.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..