Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2005, 22:27   #1
God Member

Imperial War Museum

I've spent the day at the Imperial War Museum in Salford - mostly as research for the VE/VJ event I'm organising. What an amazing place! I think it should be compulsory for people to attend this museum as they would see how futile the majority of wars are and they would actively pursue peace.

I cried - a lot!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2005, 22:30   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Imperial War Museum

agree that wars are futile and also tragic,but sometimes necessary.
Old 23-07-2005, 22:31   #3
Give, give, give member

I don't know, perhaps it is, but places like this should be where school parties should go, rather than to Alton Towers.

It is only through education that we can hope to learn. As lots of people who went through the last World War are no longer here, places like this are invaluable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 22:36   #4
God Member

At one point they turn all the lights off and project large images onto all the walls - so you're surrounded by 40ft high images of people who lived through it all. Add to that the sound of their stories being played out and it's really emotive. The thing that hit me most were the stories from the evacuees and from the mothers - can you imagine a world where it is deemed safer to send your children away to live with strangers for four years than to stay where they are with you?

I looked at Maddie, who's 5 years old, and couldn't even begin to understand how awful the situation must have been to have made that decision.

Old 23-07-2005, 22:55   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

makes you think dont it gayle?we can't really comprehend the anguish of those mums,though they obviously must have thought of the childrens safety, like rindy says i think it would be great education for the kids if the schools ran trips to such museums,theres many forgotten things about the last world war,and without such places they would be gone forever and that would be sad.
Old 23-07-2005, 23:34   #6
Member.

Simple isn’t it Gayle, The futility of war, no one wins and all too often we fail to learn the lessons that fighting a war brings. The worst crime we commit is that we fail to educate our son’s the absurdity of war. Yes I agree that we need to insure that our children visit this place, but we need to start in our schools so that they can grasp the full implication of they will witness why they get there.

The real shame is that between the Great War and World War Two only 25 years elapsed, a generation lost there lives and a single generation later they committed our son’s once more. Britain over the last 60 years will have fought no less than 40 smaller wars, Emergencies, Policing Operations, Limited Actions, Counter Terrorism operations call them what you will. We haven’t really learnt anything other than we kill less people today because of advance in technology. Unfortunate the same advances in technology allow others to bring war to our streets. 2000 years and we’re back were we started.

I do agree totally with your sentiments and I will be taking my son this summer holiday, but I don’t believe that marching school kids in one door and out the other will change anything. We need to teach them proper values like respect, and discipline, they to be strong, competitive and above all compassionate. Today’s generation take virtual lives hundreds of times a day. We desensitise then through film, DVDs, computer games, play stations and the like. Don’t expect too much. We have to remove falseness we have taught them, only them can we teach them the reality.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 14:14   #7
God Member

You are so right, Doug.

The people who make these awful war games and horror films claim that responsible people are not affected by them but I know that to be untrue. Or at least I know that it is not always responsible people who play them and that many people are affected by what they see in videos and games. Many years ago a very distant relative of mine pushed a girl down some stairs - his argument was that he'd seen it in a video.

Makers of these things push back barriers every day so that swearing is now common place, films are only considered good if they have a high body count and even the news has sanitised deaths and destruction so that eveyone is used to seeing this sort of image. Then they reduce the age limits to that kind of film/game or irresponsible parents allow their kids to play them.

I'm not sure what can be done to save future generations but something is needed - and fast! I would recommend any parent to take their child to see this exhibition because it is real, it is not about false images, it is the stark fact that people die on a large scale. It might just get through to one or two kids how ridiculous those games/films are and bring it home to them that death is not something to enjoy.

Old 24-07-2005, 16:00   #8
Resident Waffler

What age group would you consider it suitable for Gayle? Not having been myself I was wondering if it would perhaps be too much realism for a young child. Obviously older teenagers would probably appreciate and understand it.

Spring Hill Juniors have had trips to the Jewish Museum in Manchester which contains some quite harrowing information about the persecution of Jews and the concentration camps and death camps. I found that very moving. I'm not sure some of the young ones really understood what it was all about.

I must say I admired the rabbi who spoke to the group though, covering a variety of topics. He was able to get their attention and keep it whilst he spoke to them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 17:59   #9
God Member

I'd probably say around about 11ish or 12 may be. Maddie's only 5 and she enjoys the history element of things - like what people used to wear, the ration cards, and things like that but she came nowhere close to understanding the meaning behind it all. She still hasn't grasped the concept of war and death so the poignancy went over her head.

Old 24-07-2005, 19:41   #10
Beacon of light

When my daughter was at school, the history they were taught was all to do with the politics of the first and second world wars........that is where we need to start......teaching recent history in schools.......and before it is too late get some of the survivors to tell their tales......the soldiers, the women. Make it a real learning experience.
I think the youngsters of today are so innured by violence that they see in films and video games that they cannot comprehend the fear of having bombs go off next to you......having to spend time in the shelters......of whole families being killed in one fell swoop.

As you say Gayle.....it should be compulsory.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 20:50   #11
Member.

If you would like to expose your offspring to the terrors of conflict without scaring them ****less and still get the message across you should consider the Royal Armouries at Leeds. They have many recordings of ex service men recounting their memories and experiences of conflict. On occasion through the day an actor in period uniform will also recount stories provided by those that served, often in the dialect of the person and using the terminology and language of the period they will also demonstrate the weapons they used during the war in which they fought. I thick the beauty of this place is that demonstrate most if no all wars fought by the British over the past 2000 years. One should also consider that the weapons of war on show are from every corner of the world and gives the visitor a insight in to the futility of war without the depicting gruesome effects the nastiness they deliver….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 19:51   #12
God Member

I haven't been to the Imperial War Museum in Salford but I've been to the one in London years ago with the school, I agree its very interesting and thought provoking and a must see for todays kids.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 21:55   #13

I was lucky enough to attend the VE day celebrations, a couple of weeks ago at Blackpool Tower where the Royal Artillary were given the freedom of the town. Ths was attended by lots of ex sevicemen and women a lot of them from the Limbless Servicemen Association. These people arrived in their wheelchairs, proudly displaying their medals and boy did they deserve them. It was a very touching sight., and maybe a sight the kids of today should see.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 22:17   #14
Give, give, give member

Like Margaret's daugther my history lessons at school went from the Franco-Prussian War and ended with the Treaty of Versailles. All very interesting but it seemed along way away from the world l was living in.

Could any parent or younger person on here tell us where history is taught up to now?

I remember as a child watching all the trouble in the Middle East and in Ireland on the news, and not having a clue what was going on until l asked my parents and they explained.

Perhaps because today is tomorrows history, children should learn about more recent history, and perhaps the future could be rosier.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 22:42   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

think recent history would be more valuble to be taught than hearing about some guy in 1066 getting an arrow in his eye.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..