Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Invasion II

The British Bluebell is under attack from mainly the Spanish Bluebell, although the Spaniards have an ally in the Siberian Bluebell.

The British Bluebell is a protected plant now, which means we can’t go and pick them from your local bluebell woods anymore without risking prosecution.

Unlike the Black Squirrel the Spanish Bluebell doesn’t just take over but interbreeds with our native species to form a hybrid. The hybrid is a paler blue with wider petals, doesn’t hang like the British Bluebell and the hybrid is virulent.

I’ve started my contribution to the fight back by buying 200 English Bluebells bulbs last autumn and setting aside a small corner of my back garden for them. Plus a couple of dozen Siberian Bluebells.

The Russians have been in flower for a few weeks now (well they would coming from Siberia) and I just noticed this morning that the English Bluebell is starting to flower.

SAVE THE BRITISH BLUEBELL!

Set aside a small dapple shaded corner of your garden and in autumn buy some British Bluebell bulbs and plant them. Your local garden centre should have them and if not you can buy them on-line.
Old 03-05-2008, 18:59   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Invasion II

My front, back and side gardens are overrun with Spanish bluebells. Every year I dig out bulbs but it's impossible to get every single one. I don't mind the odd clump of them, here and there, but I don't want them in every border. They are crafty, they have a habit of coming up in between the roots of shrubs, especially roses, so you can't dig them out without killing the shrub.

I didn't plant the originals, they were there when we bought the house 30 years ago. They can be very attractive, in the right place, and I've had them come up pink and white as well as blue but they have no scent, unlike English ones.

It's a nice idea to plant some native bluebells but, in my case, probably futile as the present incumbants would breed them out.
Old 03-05-2008, 19:19   #3
Senior Member+

ENGLAND WAS INVADED BACK IN ROMAN TIMES!!

sheesh.
Old 03-05-2008, 20:13   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
ENGLAND WAS INVADED BACK IN ROMAN TIMES!!

sheesh.

Well, yes it was, Mani but what's that got to do with squirrels and bluebells?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..