Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 15:56   #1
Resident Waffler

iron and rust

We have some lovely little bits of ironwork dotted around the town. Nice decorative cute-out silhouettes but sadly they are worse for wear.

Along Park Street there was a series of acorns which have all been vandalised - now that must have taken some doing but it's beyond me why anyone would want to spoil them.

Then there's this in Avenue Parade:

which is sadly rusting away. Does it belong to the council? Could they not afford a tin of black Hammorite and a piantbrush to keep it in good nick? It's such a shame to see things like this deteriorate.

Further down, at the bottom of t'Parade there are some more panels which too once seemed to be mostly rust but these have been repainted and hopefully rustproofed and they look great now.

I hope the forlorn trees can receive the same treatment. Who do you think I should contact to request a make-over?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0203.jpg (37.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0202.jpg (34.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0205.jpg (41.8 KB, 60 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2007, 16:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: iron and rust

hehehe

imagine seeing someone takin those pics

u'd think wierdo

then u log on to accyweb and see those pic and think woah it was willow!

but totally agree there's some nice iron work its just a shame the council sorta forgets about it and lets it rust till its too late
Old 02-02-2007, 16:36   #3
God Member

there's some nice one's in blackburn town center, the one's they put there about 2 years ago, they have pretty little fountains in them, i'm damned if i'm taking pics of them though
Old 02-02-2007, 17:14   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If they had spent the extra money and had them galvanised they would not be rusting.
Old 02-02-2007, 17:15   #5
God Member

This demonstrates more than mere words ever could, that HBC are institutionally incapable of looking after anything put into their charge. Last year most of us were strongly opposed to the siting of a panopticon on the Coppice, one of the secondary reasons we were so vigorously opposed to it is because HBC would have been responsible for its care and maintenance. If they cannot take care of street furniture in the centre of town what hope would there have been for anything that might have beeen placed on the Coppice?

Hopeless and blxxdy helpless, the lot of them!

And while we are on the subject of HBC and it's myriad failings; Why are the Christmas illuminations still festooned across Union Street and Part of Broadway????

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 02-02-2007 at 17:17.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 17:59   #6
Resident Waffler

They had started to take those down A-b. I wonder why they stopped?

Old 02-02-2007, 18:02   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
there's some nice one's in blackburn town center, the one's they put there about 2 years ago, they have pretty little fountains in them, i'm damned if i'm taking pics of them though
I've got pics of those fountains and non-fountains in Blackburn. I really like those. I wish we could have had something as attractive on Broadway instead of a few chrome bollards and some spindley caged trees.

Don't ask about the rabbit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 073.jpg (74.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (56.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 076.jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 02-02-2007 at 18:05.
Old 02-02-2007, 22:57   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This demonstrates more than mere words ever could, that HBC are institutionally incapable of looking after anything put into their charge. Last year most of us were strongly opposed to the siting of a panopticon on the Coppice, one of the secondary reasons we were so vigorously opposed to it is because HBC would have been responsible for its care and maintenance. If they cannot take care of street furniture in the centre of town what hope would there have been for anything that might have beeen placed on the Coppice?-----------GOT IT in ONE A.B.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33   #9
Resting in Peace

Does seem a shame doesn't it Willow, quite like them myself.

Course have to ask the question re. your photos of the Blackburn ones .. what the hek is that pink rabbit (?) doing there.. guess your sense of humour
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..