Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2006, 15:44   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Is Accrington being dumbed down?

Seed and Gabbutts....ah, that was heaven to me. They moved to Ainsworth St, but weren't called Seed and Gabbutts anymore...and to be honest there range was not as extensive...although they would always get a book you wanted. I agree that buying books off the internet isn't as satisfying an experience....I like to flick through a book, read about the author...the other books they have published etc. The demand must not be there anymore...so i guess it is right that we get the shops that we deserve.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2006, 15:55   #62
God Member

This is the link to the town of Hay-on-Wye. The population is about half that of Accy. Now count the number of bookshops:

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/bookshops/frameset.htm

Maybe we should rename ourselves Hyndburn-by-t'Coppice so that someone, somewhere, decides its a posh place to open a bookshop.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 16:15   #63
Senior Member+

tasteless?! its fantastic for a slouch like me - healthy fast food! *L*

but u have to consider lots of things - u need a decent premises for a decent bookshop - and that requires a decent amount of capital to start it up. with the distinct lack of a college that actually teaches anything accy isnt really appealin to any book chain store

*nb accy college is fantastic really.

there's just too many pound and discount stores and that really does sum up what retail companies view accrington as
Old 21-06-2006, 16:15   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
This is the link to the town of Hay-on-Wye. The population is about half that of Accy. Now count the number of bookshops:

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/bookshops/frameset.htm

Maybe we should rename ourselves Hyndburn-by-t'Coppice so that someone, somewhere, decides its a posh place to open a bookshop.
Since it holds one of the world's best literary festivals it's hardly suprising they have a plethora of bookshops.

It's a bit like remarking that Soho has a lot of sex shops.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 16:21   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It's a bit like remarking that Soho has a lot of sex shops.
and you would know alot about them wouldnt you garinda?

maybe if we opened more sex shops and hold a sex festival in accrington...

hmmmmm
Old 21-06-2006, 16:25   #66
God Member

Quote:
Since it holds one of the world's best literary festivals it's hardly suprising they have a plethora of bookshops.
Errr.....The book shops came before the festival.....

Maybe Accy should hold the worlds biggest charity shop festival.
Old 21-06-2006, 16:30   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Errr.....The book shops came before the festival...
There are twenty one new books shops since the festival started seventeen years ago. The first one was funded by the winnings from a poker game.

Old 21-06-2006, 16:35   #68
God Member

Quote:
There are twenty one new books shops since the festival started seventeen years ago. .
....And about 20 shops before it began.
Old 21-06-2006, 16:42   #69
Beacon of light

In Oz there are quite a number of bookshops in coffee bars.......you can browse for your book and then sit with coffee and a cake to peruse your purchase...how good is that?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 16:46   #70

One point maybe why Accrington has lost some of its charisma and disposition is because shops like Wardleworth's, Woolworth's and M&S have been extensively and down right outrageously overcharging people for their goods for far too long. As soon as some alternative completion arrives i.e the INTERNET and China's recent economy boom they soon become redundant, or become less of a prominent status. You just need to look elsewhere

Removals - no Job too small....or BIG
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 16:46   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
maybe if we opened more sex shops and hold a sex festival in accrington...

hmmmmm
Well, if we did, it might make a refreshing change from the dismal, interminable and ridiculously expensive food festivals we are currently saddled with and at least it would be something worth reporting nationally.

The trouble with this town is that the people with the power to effect change are small people and as we all know to our cost, small people think small thoughts.

To answer the originally posed question "Is Accrington dumbing down?"; considering that Accrington, as a whole, has been pretty dumb from it's inception it is hard to imagine that it could get any dumber. But then 702 of our number actually got off their backsides and went out to vote to keep Britcliffe in charge, so I have to conclude that yes, Accrington is "Dumbing down". The only question that remains to be asked is how dumb can we get?
Old 21-06-2006, 16:47   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
The closer of Wardleworths was a great loss
I think you can blame that on websites like Amazon for that. Blackburn has lost book shops as well.
Old 21-06-2006, 16:50   #73
Give, give, give member

Since the busiest day in Accy is Thurday's 'flea market' day, (read tat too bad for the jumble and knock off goods,) perhaps we should hold an annual Festival of Rubbish.

Who could secure us some funding?

Old 21-06-2006, 16:52   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I think you can blame that on websites like Amazon for that. Blackburn has lost book shops as well.
I think that you can blame it more on W H Smith and ASDA too. I also think that HBC must shoulder a fair amount of blame for the loss by not being as supportive as they could have been, But the real knife between the shoulder blades for independent bookshops came with the ending of the net book agreement.
Old 21-06-2006, 17:03   #75
Senior Member+

£3 for a paper back? not even wh smiths has books that cheap

the larger stores can afford to keep the prices that low - but in effect its so cheap i buy them - and i'm more likely to buy them rather than £10

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..