Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2006, 14:41   #1
God Member

Is it only me that finds this odd?

BBC News have an article on 'living on low income in Africa'

Here we have a Kenyan woman who earns (including overtime) $51 a month. She is struggling to afford to live yet spends $15 amonth on a mobile phone!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4805530.stm

Now if that doesn't tell you something about poverty.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2006, 14:55   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Is it only me that finds this odd?

Depends how much you need a mobile phone. If the infrastructure doesn't support public phones or even access to a home phone, then it may be an essential.

Bear in mind, in this country poverty quite often means not having two tellies or a PC, and not being able to afford holidays abroad.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 15:57   #3
God Member

This is no more than the usual garbage we have come to expect from the BBC; it's just a shame that those thicko's at Broadcasting House did not spent a little more time doing a calculation with the figures to realise this womans entire story is implausible. How can she be paid overtime when she works less than the equivalent of 15 days a month? How come she is only 5,000/- in debt when each month her outgoings are 6,649/- greater than her income? Simple sums which someone at the BBC has failed to do.

She obviously has a second income - such as being on the game, which is the norm rather than the exception in Sub-Saharan Africa. My guess is that the BBC reporter probably got a 100/- job in return for filing this crap. How low have standards fallen!

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-03-2006 at 15:59.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:06   #4
Resident Waffler

But who is she phoning? Why does she need a phone? Is it a necessity or a luxury?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:17   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
But who is she phoning? Why does she need a phone?
Give her a ring and ask her.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:21   #6
God Member

I'm surprised she can get signal!
Must find out the network....it's murder trying to send a text in the middle of Cellar Bar...

oo 1000 posts
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:24   #7
God Member

I've just had another look. Under the first photograph is the caption "To save money Lily takes her own lunch to work".

Wow!!!! - so this is what African poverty reduces you to! Still,I have no doubt that, as per the second photograph caption, it will be all washed down with a Basic Commodity, i.e. a bottle of Coke at 21c.

The BBC should be ashamed of itself for publishing this. It is journalism at it's worse and most shoddy; unfortunatly we have to pay for it through the license, which is for all intents and purposes a regressive tax on the poor. The sooner the BBC goes, the better.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-03-2006 at 16:26.
Old 15-03-2006, 16:33   #8
Resident Waffler

To save money quite a few people in this country go without lunch altogether.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 16:51   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
She obviously has a second income - such as being on the game, which is the norm rather than the exception in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Wrong again.

The statement that the majority of women are prostitutes is wrong.

Spent much time in Sub-Saharan Africa?

I have.

Although there are a lot of prostitutes working there, they are very much in the minority.

The more successful ones mainly service the middle aged saddos that travel there because they are too inadequate to form real relationships in their own countries.

As for the story, it is outrageous that someone should spend such a large percentage of their income on a mobile phone.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 18:50   #10
God Member

I know a lass who was spending 60 quid a week on her mobile. That was on top of her charges etc.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 13:26   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Is it only me that finds this odd?

This woman obviously attended the “Tony Blair School Of Home Economics” and followed the example set by TB.

That is waste billions on an illegal war, multiple layers of bureaucracy, buying expensive cars for ministers, to name just three, whilst most pensioners live below the poverty line.
Old 16-03-2006, 13:38   #12
Senior Member+

lets just wait till the next red nose day .....

iv'e said it before and il say it again,

"send em condoms"....."cant feed em dont breed em".......

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 13:41   #13
God Member

I bet this woman is involved in a "Fairtrade" scheme; it wouldn't surprise me if the good ratepayers of Hyndburn were paying for her phone bills.
Old 16-03-2006, 18:08   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I bet this woman is involved in a "Fairtrade" scheme; it wouldn't surprise me if the good ratepayers of Hyndburn were paying for her phone bills.
Tealeaf you are getting as cynical as Less. Good chance its true, though cant see her admitting it can you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 19:11   #15

Exclamation Re: Is it only me that finds this odd?

It's much the same in this country...............How many people do u see with the backside out of their pants but they still can afford a mobile.
It's a sign of the world we live in.
LYNX1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..