Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2007, 16:25   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Is the Obbo talking sense? I don't think so....

Last orders in pub crisis

Now come on let's talk sense, just reading through this article with a little effort they could have found the truth:-

Quote:
The latest casualties include the Cross Guns and Stag Inn within yards of each other in Church.
From what I understand the Cross Guns was closed because when the landlady handed her notice in the Brewery told her to leave within a few days instead of keeping the place open for the three months she had offered with her notice.

The Stag has been shut for about a year because there were marital problems, (which don't need to be discussed here). But someone is busy refurbishing the place ready to open later this year.

Quote:
Thwaites Brewery has applied for planning permission to convert the Great Eastern on Arnold Street, Accrington, into two homes – even though it is still open.
Thwaites Brewery will always try to make a profit, if they own a pub and it's not doing well they will be prepared to change a loss into a profit, isn't that normal business?

Quote:
Undesirables making a nuisance of themselves.
They have always done that from the year dot!

Quote:
A slowing of daytime drinking, making many pubs evenings-only.
If pubs close during the day then they won't have any customers we can't break through that lump of wood called a door!

Quote:
The high price of beer and competition from supermarkets.
The high price of beer? the popular and successful pubs manage at some extraordinary prices perhaps they should be shown as a leading light for those not doing so well?

Quote:
Drink-driving laws and poor transport links killing rural pubs.
Drink Driving laws? they have been with us since the sixties and are proposed to get even tighter!

Quote:
But all agreed that the recent smoking ban was NOT to blame for the industry’s problems.
Well the two pubs above and others mentioned were nothing to do with the smoking ban because some of them closed almost two years ago!

To say that these pubs weren't closed by the smoking ban is quite correct, however the full version of this article suggests that the problem could be the Last Orders, in the main article they claim that the pub offers beer at £1.00 per pint this is incorrect, could the reporters please call in there and give them an apology? The pub is part of a large chain that buys it's beer in bulk hence they can pass the reduction on to their customers.
That is surely something to be praised rather than criticised?
Since the smoking ban if you would care to ask the Landlady of the Last Orders you would find that due to the smoking ban and the bad weather she has also noticed a reduction in customers.

To say that the pubs mentioned were not closed because of the smoking ban is correct, to blame the Last Orders Pub, (which seems to be the way it is put in the actual paper), is stupid, wait a few more months re-publish the article when the next lot of pubs are shut and then I dare you to say it's not because of a smoking ban!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2007, 17:32   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Is the Obbo talking sense? I don't think so....

Less....since when did truth and newspapers go together???
I think that there is a lot to be said against the Onserver now being printed out of town so it has no real grasp on the local issues....and this is an abysmal story for the front page...surely they could have found something better.
This weekly paper is going downhill fast.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:48   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less....since when did truth and newspapers go together???
I think that there is a lot to be said against the Onserver now being printed out of town so it has no real grasp on the local issues....and this is an abysmal story for the front page...surely they could have found something better.
This weekly paper is going downhill fast.
Since it became part of a group and lost its indi status it has been going down hill fast. Its sad when a paper reaches this level of reporting for its front page and will not increase its sales. That is unless the attempt to lose sales and then close it as it was deemed unprofitable to print it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:40   #4
Give, give, give member

I don't know why they were so insistent that the smoking ban isn't involved with the demise of the pubs in Hyndburn, I certainly don't think it will have helped.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 16:17   #5
Give, give, give member

Apparently the Royal Oak in Oswaldtwistle has closed down too.

Old 04-09-2007, 17:20   #6
Resident Waffler

Pubs seem to have been closing down over the past few years, or going over to being licensed restaurants (Like the Rising Bridge). Could it have something to do with more people drinking at home?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 17:42   #7
Give, give, give member

Word on the street is that the Royal Oak closed because of lack of trade since the smoking ban was introduced. They don't have a yard/garden, and smokers were expected to stand right on the pavement on Union Road.

Old 04-09-2007, 17:52   #8
Resident Waffler

I honestly don't see why there couldn't be designated 'smoking rooms' like something out of Sherlock Holmes - except people would say it infringed on the rights of the staff I suppose but would they rather have a job in a pub with a smoking room, or no job at all?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 18:07   #9
Give, give, give member

It is ridiculous.

You can go in that dodgy bordello in Accy and have your botty spanked, if you so wish, all quite legally, but not have a cigarette afterwards.

Old 04-09-2007, 18:18   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It is ridiculous.

You can go in that dodgy bordello in Accy and have your botty spanked, if you so wish, all quite legally, but not have a cigarette afterwards.
You can have a cigarette, you just have to stand outside to smoke it
Old 04-09-2007, 18:39   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You can have a cigarette, you just have to stand outside to smoke it
Stand, because you can't sit down?

Old 04-09-2007, 18:44   #12
God Member

Quote:
Stand, because you can't sit down?
I'll take your word for that
Old 04-09-2007, 21:33   #13
God Member

Quote:
Apparently the Royal Oak in Oswaldtwistle has closed down too.
I didn't know that, Garinda. That's a shame. I must say though, I was put off going in there after the smoking ban ban because I didn't want to stand on the pavement on the main road. If I have to be outside I like to sit down, preferably round the back of a pub rather than at the front.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 22:14   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was put off going in there after the smoking ban ban because I didn't want to stand on the pavement on the main road.
If I was going for a night out the smoking ban would not prevent me from doing so, but it could make me avoid certain pubs if the provision for smoking did not exist.
I don't believe the ban is losing custom..but could be customers who smoke are chosing to visit pubs with the best provisions for smoking.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 22:23   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
If I was going for a night out the smoking ban would not prevent me from doing so, but it could make me avoid certain pubs if the provision for smoking did not exist.
I don't believe the ban is losing custom..but could be customers who smoke are chosing to visit pubs with the best provisions for smoking.
I think you're right, Mancie.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..