Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 10:37   #1
Resting in Peace

Is this Tesco Director right

They can't read, can't write and think the world owes them a living: Tesco director's damning verdict on school-leavers | Mail Online
A Tesco Director has laid into school leavers and their standard of education is she right or wrong
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54   #2
God Member

Re: Is this Tesco Director right

Like any 'generalisation statement', he speaks from his personal experience only.
I imagine that the really intelligent kids wouldn't want a job at Tesco, so he hasn't met them

PS there I go again - making excuses for bigotry

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-03-2010 at 10:57.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:09   #3
God Member

i agree partly with his sentiments ,a high percentage of kids these days are spoilt and dont have the work ethic and need a kick up the jacksy ,but then again there is a high percentage of adults with same attitude..
Old 11-03-2010, 11:09   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Like any 'generalisation statement', he speaks from his personal experience only.
I imagine that the really intelligent kids wouldn't want a job at Tesco, so he hasn't met them

PS there I go again - making excuses for bigotry
No there you go again not reading the link He happens to be a She

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21   #5
Give, give, give member

The basics aren't taught as well today, as they were for our ancestors. Many of whom left school at twelve, or younger, to work in the mills, with beautiful writing skills, and a good understanding of English grammar.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44   #6
God Member

You only need to look at some of the posts on here to know she's right.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
No there you go again not reading the link He happens to be a She
I did fast read it earlier, before this thread happened.
I stopped reading it before the end - bigoted generalisations 'disturb my vibes'

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-03-2010 at 11:52.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53   #8
God Member

They just don't learn the basic numeracy skills these days because they are allowed to use calculators. We were given a brain to do things like adding, subtracting, multiplying etc but if you aren't taught the basics you can't use them. It used to amaze when doing bar work that the younger generation couldn't work out how much change to give without the till helping out. It is something I notice often when shopping as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58   #9
God Member

Now if I was a young person reading this thread and battling the inadequacies of our present (underpaid) teachers, I would be tempted to throw in the towel and become a hoodie in order to comply with the opinion that society has of youth today.

Many of them are being educated well using their own initiative, despite poor teachers, which shows that this Tesco person is a pessimist.

Old 11-03-2010, 13:45   #10

SHE says there is a lack of discipline at school and at home.

Then in here there is an assumption that only the brightest should be able to do basic arithmetic and English, things that are and should be the base of an education.

I have poor grammar and spelling but I know that and can take steps to rectify that, that I don’t is laziness.

Underpaid teachers? When a head teacher can earn more than a P M?
Old 11-03-2010, 13:51   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post

Underpaid teachers? When a head teacher can earn more than a P M?
Head teachers don't teach - the pay scale starts, and stays lower, than many other professions.
You get what you pay for - the days when there was such a thing as a 'vocation' are well gone.

Old 11-03-2010, 14:26   #12
Common Sense Member

I went to school in Bamber Bridge in the days when teachers weren't hampered by rigid lesson plans from the National Curriculum. We were taught many things which I suspect are now out of the window but the teachers knew EVERYTHING and I got a really well-rounded education.

I can still remember, clear as day, our fourth form teacher bringing in a vinyl copy of The War of the Worlds which we had to listen to and evaluate. It gave me the view that there are more interesting ways of learning than simply by looking at textbooks and blackboards.

I fear that any 'wildcard' methods of trying to teach children things these days would result in a formal reprimand.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Ken Moss; 11-03-2010 at 14:27. Reason: Spelling error, in this of all posts!
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 15:00   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I went to school in Bamber Bridge in the days when teachers weren't hampered by rigid lesson plans from the National Curriculum. We were taught many things which I suspect are now out of the window but the teachers knew EVERYTHING and I got a really well-rounded education.

I can still remember, clear as day, our fourth form teacher bringing in a vinyl copy of The War of the Worlds which we had to listen to and evaluate. It gave me the view that there are more interesting ways of learning than simply by looking at textbooks and blackboards.

I fear that any 'wildcard' methods of trying to teach children things these days would result in a formal reprimand.
Spot on Ken, before the onset of Secondary Schools, when you went into class the same teacher taught everything from maths to history and in the main made lessons interesting, if a kid is interested they are more likely to learn
Old 11-03-2010, 15:26   #14
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Spot on Ken, before the onset of Secondary Schools, when you went into class the same teacher taught everything from maths to history and in the main made lessons interesting, if a kid is interested they are more likely to learn
I agree, and as time has gone by it has become more and more apparent that there are two distinct type of person when it comes to learning - the academics and the practicals. Each will find different subjects more interesting than others and gain knowledge in the areas that appeal to them.

I fall firmly into the academic category whereas my brother never really excelled at Maths or English and instead made a successful career as a joiner because he is far more adept at practical tasks than I will ever be.

My sister is lodged halfway between and always seemed to regard school as something that got in the way of doing what she really enjoyed. On leaving school she has worked in jobs that she liked doing and has ended up as a senior pharmacist, despite never showing any real interest at school. On the flip-side of my sister's coin are those who are simply not interested in doing any work whatsoever.

However much pay might be brought into it, I don't envy teachers one bit. Curriculum targets and rules lump all children together as being of equal learning capacity and low grades are pushed back onto the teachers. Johnny is disruptive and totally disinterested in learning, Ben is quiet and enjoys reading. With good teaching of a rigidly defined curriculum they can both leave school at the same academic level. Yeah right.

People are different - The End.

After 50 years of the comprehensive education system I would have thought they might have worked this out by now.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 15:32   #15
God Member

This Tesco person condemns them all as illiterate selfish yobs
That isn't right - give credit to some kids for rising above the poor education they have been 'dished up'

What bright kid is going to seek a career at Tesco

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..