Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14   #1
Senior Member+

Its not the cabbies - its the parents - check them!!

Quote:
Parents who regularly drive children for sports or social clubs will have to undergo criminal record checks or face fines of up to £5,000 under new rules.
Along with parents who host foreign exchange students, they will fall under the scope of the Vetting and Barring Scheme, the Home Office has confirmed.
The measures to stop paedophiles are being introduced from next month in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Critics have branded them "insulting" and say they could deter volunteers.
"This is a commonsense approach and what parents would rightly expect," he said, adding that the rules would make of the world's most advanced systems "even more rigorous".
Anyone taking part in activities involving "frequent" or "intensive" contact with children or vulnerable adults three times in a month, every month, or once overnight, must register.
All 300,000 school governors, as well as every doctor, nurse, teacher, dentist and prison officer will also have to sign up.
It is thought that 11.3 million people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland - close to one in four of all adults - may register with the Home Office's Independent Safeguarding Authority [ISA].
BBC NEWS | UK | Checks on children's club drivers
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01   #2
God Member

Re: Its not the cabbies - its the parents - check them!!

I think it's a great idea, although will take the whole "volunteer" process that much longer.

Working with any "vulnerable" person, the employee or volunteer should incur a CRB check, whether it be children, old people or disabled that they will be working with.

It isn't fair that these people are put at risk, just because the "helper" is a parent or volunteer.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:10   #3
Resting in Peace

The wife had a CRB check done when she started at the nursing home she is at

I also had one done as i will have to look after Peter,Less and Lynx in there twilight years in the railway
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:23   #4

Quote:
I also had one done as i will have to look after Peter,Less and Lynx in there twilight years in the railway

Your such a saint mick.........you'll get your reward in heaven (sooner rather than later)

Last edited by Mick; 11-09-2009 at 07:25. Reason: missing quote marks
LYNX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57   #5
Resting in Peace

Seriously, doesn't this just show how far society has fallen, when I was a lad (a long time ago I know) mothers used to take it in turn taking the kids to school, to do that today they'd all have to have a CRB check, I don't think things have changed for the better have they?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00   #6
God Member

i had to have one done when i ran the mums and tots group at the community centre 11 years ago and when i was vice chairman of the pta at Reece's primary school, i totally agree with them
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33   #7

It seems to me that my son's friend can come the this private residence and stay for as long as he wants and there are no checks needed on me while I do my several hours unpaid childcare behind closed doors.

As soon as his mother and I arrange to share the school run, when I'm in a necessarily transparent space (windowed car) with a fairly important task on my mind (driving) and for a limited time (15min school run) I need a CRB check?

CRB checks don't flag up bad people. They only flag up those bad people who've been caught.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
It seems to me that my son's friend can come the this private residence and stay for as long as he wants and there are no checks needed on me while I do my several hours unpaid childcare behind closed doors.

As soon as his mother and I arrange to share the school run, when I'm in a necessarily transparent space (windowed car) with a fairly important task on my mind (driving) and for a limited time (15min school run) I need a CRB check?

CRB checks don't flag up bad people. They only flag up those bad people who've been caught.
And don't forget it also cost money too
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seriously, doesn't this just show how far society has fallen, when I was a lad (a long time ago I know) mothers used to take it in turn taking the kids to school, to do that today they'd all have to have a CRB check, I don't think things have changed for the better have they?
I agree things have definetly not changed for the better. What happens if you have a friends child sleep over? It really is going to get to the stage where kids sleep-overs at their friends stop because of these rules.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22   #10
God Member

Is this not more talking about events, brownies, cubs, after school clubs, that kind of thing?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:25   #11
God Member

Why does the title of the tread mention cabbies? The article has no mention of them so why bring them into it? I doubt the real perpertrators will be caught out with this, Ian Huntley slipped through the net. It is genuine people with nothing to hide that won't object to the checks, the guilty ones will make the most objections.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass28 View Post
Is this not more talking about events, brownies, cubs, after school clubs, that kind of thing?
Yes I suppose it is but things are heading the way of all fun for kids being stopped because of fears. I mean does every parent that lets their child go on a sleep-over know 100% that the people whos house they are staying at are not perverts?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:31   #13
God Member

I think Mani was using the word cabbies to mean drivers? Although I'm not 100% sure

And no, ya never totally know anybody, whether it be family, friend or parent of your childs friend
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40   #14
Beacon of light

it has been said many times before, that if a person hasn't been caught for doing anything bad, then they won't show up on a CRB check........so you can have someone who isn't all sparkling and clean, looking after children because they haven't been caught yet.

Ian Huntley springs to mind.(though something tells me that he should not have passed a CRB check because he had some kind of record,just that the police didn't communicate between forces.......I am sure someone will put me right if I have got that wrong)

In all honesty, I think this will just mean that the good honest folk who want children to have the opportunity to experience fun times outside school hours will just no longer volunteer to help at these events......which will mean that many of these organisations will go to the wall.
We have to realise that we are making childhood poorer for our children by meddling.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-09-2009 at 10:42.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:47   #15
God Member

I agree with Margaret kids are going to end up with no outside activities and you have got to wonder whether this is just another money making racket at £64 per person.

Margaret I think Huntleys conviction was under a different name or something like that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..