Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2008, 13:57   #1
God Member

It's so bad up north that everyone should move to the south

....so says a leading professor!

I took this from a news report but I also saw the pompous twit on Look North last night. Basically said that cities in the north are beyond saving and the only way to have a decent standard of living in the future will be to move south!

I can't believe how misplaced, arrogant, incorrect and just plain stupid I thought he was!!!!!

This is the article with a link to the full report -
Cities in northern England are beyond saving and residents should move south, a new report from the Policy Exchange think tank argues.
Urban regeneration in the north is failing its citizens so much that only a mass migration to London, Cambridge and Oxford would free them from poverty.
To support this exodus, the report argues more affordable homes should be built and that planning restrictions should be relaxed.
"No-one is suggesting that residents should be forced to move, but we do argue that they should be told the reality of the position: regeneration, in the sense of convergence, will not happen, because it is not possible," the report concludes.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2008, 13:59   #2
God Member

Re: It's so bad up north that everyone should move to the south

I think this was a April fool left over from earlier this year...........move down south.........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 15:21   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Let's not be silly, he is obviously has a job as an Estate Agent on the side.

He wants all the gullible with money in the North, to inflate the prices of the houses down south by tempting them in that direction, (thus keeping him in work), and at the same time causing a collapse in house properties in the North so that he can buy them all up and sell them off to first time buyers from the south that are willing to commute.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 15:26   #4
God Member

Has anyone seen Accrington town centre lately? It is completely depressing and it's getting worse every year. I can't wait to get out. Of course many think the grass is greener on the other side until they've lived in another place, but I do not wish to see my once quite pleasant town getting worse anymore.
Blackburn Road is the most depressing place I have ever come across.

Last edited by shakermaker; 13-08-2008 at 15:28.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:20   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
....so says a leading professor!

I took this from a news report but I also saw the pompous twit on Look North last night. Basically said that cities in the north are beyond saving and the only way to have a decent standard of living in the future will be to move south!

I can't believe how misplaced, arrogant, incorrect and just plain stupid I thought he was!!!!!

This is the article with a link to the full report -
Cities in northern England are beyond saving and residents should move south, a new report from the Policy Exchange think tank argues.
Urban regeneration in the north is failing its citizens so much that only a mass migration to London, Cambridge and Oxford would free them from poverty.
To support this exodus, the report argues more affordable homes should be built and that planning restrictions should be relaxed.
"No-one is suggesting that residents should be forced to move, but we do argue that they should be told the reality of the position: regeneration, in the sense of convergence, will not happen, because it is not possible," the report concludes.
Thats your trouble Gayle your to dam nice, pompous twit, he's the biggest plonker I've had the misfortune witnessing for a long time, I felt like gragging the ********** through the Telly and giving him a good slap. I just wonder where he was dragged up, maybe Tumbridge Wells or Virginia Water, I know he wants to go and jump in the Thames and take his mates with him.

Last edited by Mick; 14-08-2008 at 07:45. Reason: language
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:23   #6
Senior Member+

If only it was that simple

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Thats your trouble Gayle your to dam nice, pompous twit, he's the biggest plonker I've had the misfortune witnessing for a long time, I felt like gragging the ********** through the Telly and giving him a good slap. I just wonder where he was dragged up, maybe Tumbridge Wells or Virginia Water, I know he wants to go and jump in the Thames and take his mates with him
This report was, according to the 'Telegraph, published by 'Policy Exchange', a Conservative-leaning think tank. Wonder what andrewb thinks of it?

Northerners urged to move down south (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by Mick; 14-08-2008 at 07:46.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:51   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
This report was, according to the 'Telegraph, published by 'Policy Exchange', a Conservative-leaning think tank. Wonder what andrewb thinks of it.

His 'guru' has already condemned it
BBC NEWS | Politics | City report 'insane' says Cameron

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 16:54   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This report was, according to the 'Telegraph, published by 'Policy Exchange', a Conservative-leaning think tank. Wonder what andrewb thinks of it?

There's not only prats with Labour leanings yerself, there's plenty left right and centre
Old 13-08-2008, 17:00   #10
God Member

From their website:

Policy Exchange is an independent think tank whose mission is to develop and promote new policy ideas which will foster a free society based on strong communities, personal freedom, limited government, national self-confidence and an enterprise culture.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 17:04   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Has anyone seen Accrington town centre lately? It is completely depressing and it's getting worse every year. I can't wait to get out. Of course many think the grass is greener on the other side until they've lived in another place, but I do not wish to see my once quite pleasant town getting worse anymore.
Blackburn Road is the most depressing place I have ever come across.

I take your point to some degree but regeneration is only just starting to kick in in Hyndburn and things like the Blackburn Rd regeneration, Town Centre Masterplan, West Accrington housing, etc are all five year plans. If things are still the same in five years time then it's time to be really depressed.

Old 13-08-2008, 17:06   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats your trouble Gayle your to dam nice,
Is that why no one voted for me?

I can assure you I've only printed the words that I would let children read. The ones I thought about using are probably more in line with yours.

Old 13-08-2008, 17:11   #13
God Member

I too think its crazy, god knows what they were thinking.

There are some interesting ideas in the report though. It suggests removing restrictions on housing in the South, allowing housing to be built on industrial land. This would raise the cost of establishing new businesses in the south so might encourage more business start-ups in the North, improving local economies up here.
Old 13-08-2008, 17:14   #14
Beacon of light

I cannot believe that this was a serious suggestion.......has anyone thought of the impications of such actions?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 17:19   #15
God Member

Quote:
From their website:

Policy Exchange is an independent think tank whose mission is to develop and promote new policy ideas which will foster a free society based on strong communities, personal freedom, limited government, national self-confidence and an enterprise culture.
In other words, a right wing think tank .... they have them all over the world; our version is the Fraser Institute .... they are best shot at dawn, or, failing that, ignored
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..