Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2004, 12:20   #16
Super Moderator

Re: I've lived in Accy for 5 and half years....

Not the same as being there, Dean.

And you obviously live quite near to the ground. Take a walk up there in a couple of weeks time. You'll enjoy it!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2004, 12:50   #17
Senior Member+

once i went to a friends house nr burnley rd and i live on the other side of the town... anyway so me and another friend were on the way back and a van driver stopped us askin for directions

scuse us mate you couldnt tell us where spencer st is?

nah sorry mate i dont know

as soon as he drove off we just remembered

thats where our mates house was *LOL*
Old 16-11-2004, 13:02   #18
God Member

Have you ever given a driver directions and the moment they move off you realise that you have sent them the wrong way. I seem to spend most of my life in hiding from irate motorists - sorry!
Old 16-11-2004, 13:19   #19
Resting in peace

The trouble is that you know where you are, but you don't necessarily know the names of the streets. It's even worse in London, trust me - at least in Accy almost all of them ask in English!

That said, I once tried to get by car to my auntie's house in Maudsley Street and it took about half an hour to find a way into it - half way to Burnley, I seem to remember ...
Accy's traffic system does leave something to be desired, to say the least.

Perhaps HBC could issue a tourist map? - but if they did, it would probably be of Darwen by mistake.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 14:18   #20
Resident Waffler

I think there is a tourist map but the trouble is they don't have the one-way systems and pedestrian streets marked accurately on it.

My problem is that I usually know where I am and where I want to be. I just have a mental block when it comes to what's in between.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 22:57   #21
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think there is a tourist map but the trouble is they don't have the one-way systems and pedestrian streets marked accurately on it.

My problem is that I usually know where I am and where I want to be. I just have a mental block when it comes to what's in between.
Thats true Willow, I am learning that I should ignore your advice, use drivers instinct,....and get there 20 minutes earlier!!
Old 16-11-2004, 23:24   #22
Resident Waffler

Now about this mysterious road from Baxenden. It doesn't actually lead directly to Willows Lane as you will see.

The route goes up Rising Bridge Rd into Roundhill Lane, up to the T junction, turn right into Roundhill Road/Haslingden Old Road. Continue along until the junction with Broadfield, turn right into Broadfield until you reach the Shoulder of Mutton, turn right into Cross Edge and continue along until it becomes Willows Lane.

Now me, I would have come down Manchester Rd to Royds Avenue, down Royds Ave and into Royds Street, left on Hudson Street to Belfield Road, right down Belfield Road, left onto Mount Street, right into Victoria Street, left into Ormerod Street, right up to the top to the T junction with Willows Lane.

I'll grant you it's not as scenic as Busman's route but I think it's shorter.

Old 17-11-2004, 08:12   #23

i used to use both them routes going to work from ossy on average took me 10 minutes accross haslingden old road and about 15 minutes up hollins lane . The problem with the hollins lane route you ve still to get on manchester road which seems to perminanatly have road works
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 08:47   #24
mez
God Member

ive used that rd for years, much quicker,less traffic, nicer views too.
Old 17-11-2004, 13:20   #25
Resident Waffler

I use Haslingden Old Road if going to Haslingden or Rawtenstall from home but I've never used the road down by the Farmer's Glory to Baxenden. I didn't know it joined up to Rising Bridge Road and I'd never even thought to wonder after being told that it was a dead end that just led down to farms. It does seem a lot shorter to me to go up Manchester Rd but I do agree that there always seems to be some kind of road works going on up there. I used to work with someone who lived near Bamford Crescent and he was always complaining about the times they dug the road up. He said "They might as well put a zip in it."

Old 17-11-2004, 19:15   #26

always known that road down past the farmers glory as the rabbit run the speed humps at the bottom are rediculously high though its dark when i set off towrk and dark on the way home i know they wasnt there in the morning but nearly knocked me off my bike coming back up the road at night . it is the best route providing your at the top of it by 5 or your stuck in traffic with all the hollands pie staff and bash chemicals
Old 17-11-2004, 20:22   #27
Always EVIL within us

I know what you mean regarding those speed humps Rockrabbit, I went over them in a 33 seater Mercedes complete with customers Ooops...
Old 18-11-2004, 01:01   #28
mez
God Member

i once came speeding up to those bumps r/rabbit oo couldnt get the brakes on fast enough /// hence a new exhaust ha ha ha ( it was a little fiat panda) at the time never did it again.
Old 18-11-2004, 08:54   #29

lol at least im not the only one then dont why they ve put them there i used that road most mornings and nights for a cpl of years and can count the amount the amount of pedestrians ive seen on one hand
Old 18-11-2004, 13:24   #30
Junior Member+

I know where everythin' is!.. well.. round ossy anyway.. and church.. Not sure 'bout accy..
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..