Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 18:32   #31
Caz
God Member

Re: Kids behavior no worse than before

Quote:
and the kids that come from poor upbringing now just give up and be the "bad" boy rather than try and drag themselves out of the gutter
By poor upbringing do you mean financially or poor parenting?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 18:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
By poor upbringing do you mean financially or poor parenting?

a bit of both
Old 16-02-2009, 18:35   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
i dont want to be rude but how old are u? there is no way grange hill is responsible for the problems in our schools.

my understanding is its a social thing, more kids are misbehaving as its seen to be cool, getting excluded or having an asbo is seen as a badge of honour nowadays and the kids that come from poor upbringing now just give up and be the "bad" boy rather than try and drag themselves out of the gutter
My age, 66, is in my profile - my son was at Rhyddings when Grangehill started and I recall him being amazed at the antics they got up to, and away with

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:35   #34
Caz
God Member

It is not fair to assume that one equates to the other, which seems to be what you are suggesting

Finances and the parenting issue are 2 different things

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 18:36   #35

but did it make him behave worse?
Old 16-02-2009, 18:39   #36

Quote:
It is not fair to assume that one equates to the other, which seems to be what you are suggesting

Finances and the parenting issue are 2 different things
i knew someone would say that, a high percentage of kids from poor familes will misbehave.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:41   #37
Caz
God Member

Quote:
knew someone would say that, a high percentage of kids from poor familes will misbehave
That is a very sweeping statement to say the least. Have you got statistics to prove that, or is it your own theory?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 18:45   #38
God Member

Quote:
but did it make him behave worse?
No - but chidren who entered secondary school later would have a preconceived notion that such behaviour was normal

Old 16-02-2009, 18:50   #39

how is it sweeping? the goverment would like us all to think that children living in poverty dont get left at the wayside but the reality is they do, pick an area of accrington that has a lot of low income familys how, how many of there children go on to university? when i was at school none of the teachers inspired me to learn becuase they didnt feel id pass any exams so they basically forgot all about me. nowadays this hopelessness results in kids being disruptive, violent and playing the " its cool to be bad" card.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
No - but chidren who entered secondary school later would have a preconceived notion that such behaviour was normal
sorry i cant agree with that at all, i respect your opinion but think its as outlandish as they guy on tv saying "school is no worse than the 50's"
Old 16-02-2009, 19:02   #41
Caz
God Member

Quote:
how is it sweeping? the goverment would like us all to think that children living in poverty dont get left at the wayside but the reality is they do, pick an area of accrington that has a lot of low income familys how, how many of there children go on to university? when i was at school none of the teachers inspired me to learn becuase they didnt feel id pass any exams so they basically forgot all about me. nowadays this hopelessness results in kids being disruptive, violent and playing the " its cool to be bad" card.

Well I have 2 at Uni and 3 in good jobs, and never had a spare penny to my name.

Just because you come from a low income family doesn't mean you can't pull yourself up by the bootstraps.

Even in some poor parenting families , some kids go on to succeed despite that fact.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 19:07   #42

Quote:
Well I have 2 at Uni and 3 in good jobs, and never had a spare penny to my name.

Just because you come from a low income family doesn't mean you can't pull yourself up by the bootstraps.

Even in some poor parenting families , some kids go on to succeed despite that fact.
and i never said "all" i said a high percentage. i dont have a penny to my name but i would say where a poor family.

i think if kids dont get an education of some substance then i feel the chances of grabbing a "good" job are goibng to be few and far between and gradutes will always prevail.
Old 16-02-2009, 19:10   #43
Caz
God Member

Quote:
and i never said "all" i said a high percentage. i dont have a penny to my name but i would say where a poor family.
What high percentage? have you got figures, or are you just going from your experience?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-02-2009, 19:12   #44

yeh mainly from experience and i belive its getting even worse
Old 16-02-2009, 19:12   #45
God Member

In support of my opinion that Grangehill was a bad influence - please see this website which outlines the early series and the controversy they caused
GRANGE HILL ONLINE | Episode Guides | Series 2

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..