Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 17:40   #31

Re: Koran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Nothing surprise me about lots of things in the States Joan, For ages now I've watch the documentary chanels on TV every night, and some of the weird and wonderful things they Yanks come up with are priceless, and I totally agree with your last statement too
If I based my knowlege of the US on the programmes on the documentary channels I would have a very distorted view of the lives for the majority of the American people.

I was attempting (rather unsuccessfully as it turned out) to correct the misconceptions that my relative and her friends had of the UK, because they made their judgements from You Tube videos etc.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2010, 18:56   #32
JCB

A suitable thought from Jonathan Swift ?

" We have just enough religion to make us hate , but not enough to make us love one another ."
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:19   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

So some petty minded closed group of morons decide they will have a bring and burn book club.
What are the chances that the members of this group will have a copy of it in amongst their well read library of Batman and Superman comics, well lets be honest, zero. So to gain entrance to the bonfire party they will first have to find a bookshop, this will be a learning curve for them, They and by the sound of it thousands of others buy the Koran in this one off deal.

The bookshop owner goes off to his wholesalers and buys extra copies, the wholesaler needs to supply his demand and gets in touch with his publisher and he buys extra copies.
The Publisher orders the printers to let them roll we have orders to fill.
Somehow I think as well as upsetting people of the faith that wants to read that particular book these fools will have spent their money boosting the profits of the publishers on behalf of the prophets of that very faith.

The same goes for flag burning, America probably keeps it's national debt down by supplying flags to be burnt by the extremists of other nations, it's good that they can reciprocate with their version of unnecessary global warming.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:14   #34
Senior Member+

The Pastor probably has the ability to print copies of the Koran - I hear it has been called off now.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:49   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The Pastor probably has the ability to print copies of the Koran - I hear it has been called off now.
Hope so. Such an ill conceived idea would open up such a outpouring of hatred worldwide that we would all suffer. Did he see sense (doubtful) did the authorities "knuckle him (more likely) or were the death threats piling up most definately) on is door mat and in his email inbox?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
If I based my knowlege of the US on the programmes on the documentary channels I would have a very distorted view of the lives for the majority of the American people.

I was attempting (rather unsuccessfully as it turned out) to correct the misconceptions that my relative and her friends had of the UK, because they made their judgements from You Tube videos etc.
I was actually thinking on documented cases in the states Joan, things we've heard of here but don't know the inside stories, but I would think everybody would agree with you on YouTube, myself I only ever use it for music
Old 10-09-2010, 21:31   #37

In my own opinion what the pastor is doing is probably ill advised, but you wouldnt build a nazi history museum next to auschwitz, so why the hell should they be allowed to build a mosque near ground zero.Its more about respect than racism.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 21:53   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
In my own opinion what the pastor is doing is probably ill advised, but you wouldnt build a nazi history museum next to auschwitz, so why the hell should they be allowed to build a mosque near ground zero.Its more about respect than racism.
Very poor analogy. The level of separation between the Mosque and Ground Zero means that, if we are to try to amend your analogy, it's much more like having a museum to Robert Wagner being situated next to Auschwitz than anything directly linked to Nazism.

So many people erroneously see the Qur'an as the instruction manual and the Mosque as the training centre for extremist behaviour from those of the Islam faith. I'd wager that those kind of misgivings do more harm to the world than the nutty Pastor in America. After all, it was the media that gave him a podium.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 22:35   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Very poor analogy. The level of separation between the Mosque and Ground Zero means that, if we are to try to amend your analogy, it's much more like having a museum to Robert Wagner being situated next to Auschwitz than anything directly linked to Nazism.
That'll teach me about trying to multi-task after a long day. Of course, I meant Richard!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48   #40
God Member

I'm just wondering .... in view of this http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...n_burn_threat/ " what would happen if Accy webs uber liberals Garinda/Gayle Knight/Claytonender/Ken Moss etc. and even Council leader Britcliffe decided to organize and hold a march from Ossy "Art's theatre/cultural center " down Union Road to 'Church Commercial' and then along Blackburn Road to Accy Town Hall to protest the Sharia Law death penalty imposed on Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani the Iranian woman facing stoning to death , would such a spontaneous procession/demonstration be allowed without police interference...and how many of the locals who live along the route would join in .
just curious
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm just wondering .... in view of this 500 protest in Accrington over Koran burn threat (From Lancashire Telegraph) " what would happen if Accy webs uber liberals Garinda/Gayle Knight/Claytonender/Ken Moss etc. and even Council leader Britcliffe decided to organize and hold a march from Ossy "Art's theatre/cultural center " down Union Road to 'Church Commercial' and then along Blackburn Road to Accy Town Hall to protest the Sharia Law death penalty imposed on Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani the Iranian woman facing stoning to death , would such a spontaneous procession/demonstration be allowed without police interference...and how many of the locals who live along the route would join in .
just curious
'Uber liberal'?

There's many I'd help on the trains, bound for the camps in the east.

I'd even give some of you, those with no idea about labelling people correctly, a packed lunch.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Uber liberal'?

There's many I'd help on the trains, bound for the camps in the east.

I'd even give some of you, those with no idea about labelling people correctly, a packed lunch.

I'm partial to Tuna and Mayonnaise G
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm just wondering .... in view of this 500 protest in Accrington over Koran burn threat (From Lancashire Telegraph) " what would happen if Accy webs uber liberals Garinda/Gayle Knight/Claytonender/Ken Moss etc. and even Council leader Britcliffe decided to organize and hold a march from Ossy "Art's theatre/cultural center " down Union Road to 'Church Commercial' and then along Blackburn Road to Accy Town Hall to protest the Sharia Law death penalty imposed on Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani the Iranian woman facing stoning to death , would such a spontaneous procession/demonstration be allowed without police interference...and how many of the locals who live along the route would join in .
just curious
They've got more important things to worry about. There's a market about to open 6 days a week!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04   #44
God Member

I see they've they've been burning American flags in Pakistan; there's lots of 'em that the locals got from the side of the food parcels the Yanks had been dropping after the floods.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Uber liberal'?

OK apologies , mybe your days of being a Tory toy boy are long gone (Dinner with Thatcher et al etc) , , even though you do like to bash/slag off the "HBC Leader' on this forum, there seems to be much that you respect/like him for, .. he looks after Ossy , and thats what I would want from my local politico .
No offense meant by my earlier post,(uber Liberals) but the question remains , who do the regular folks of Hyndburn have more sympathy for the woman in Iran facing death by stoning (under Sharia Law) or the folks on the Blackburn road corridor protesting about some nutcase in Florida who wants to burn a few pages of printed paper ,

Would welcome a response from any Accy web user of any religious faith or political persusion to explain/justify this to me
Thanks

Last edited by steeljack; 11-09-2010 at 09:15.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..