Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Less
  • 3 Post By DtheP47

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2013, 19:05   #1

Lancashire accent

After my son had finished speaking (in English) to a group of people at a conference in Holland the other day, he was approached by a man who asked him if he came from the North of England. The man said that my son's accent reminded him of his mother's who had been born in Blackburn. My son told him to look at his passport and the man couldn't believe that the place of birth was also Blackburn.
The only claim I have now to being English after all these years in Sicily, is my ( for me, lovely) Lancashire accent and I am super proud to have passed it on to my son.

(Blackburn because he was born at Queen's Park although he proudly tells everyone he was born in Ossie!!)
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2013, 19:18   #2
God Member

Re: Lancashire accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
After my son had finished speaking (in English) to a group of people at a conference in Holland the other day, he was approached by a man who asked him if he came from the North of England. The man said that my son's accent reminded him of his mother's who had been born in Blackburn. My son told him to look at his passport and the man couldn't believe that the place of birth was also Blackburn.
The only claim I have now to being English after all these years in Sicily, is my ( for me, lovely) Lancashire accent and I am super proud to have passed it on to my son.

(Blackburn because he was born at Queen's Park although he proudly tells everyone he was born in Ossie!!)
I got "Blackburn" on my Canadian passport ... I was born at Blackburn Royal Infirmary ... I guess they tore it down. But I always tell folks I was born and raised in Clayton, bottom end. If anyone asks where "Clayton" is, I tell 'em: "Not far from Oswaldtwistle." This usually ends the conversation. Anyone patient enough to ask where Oswaldtwistle is gets the response: "Close to Knuzden." Sadly my accent has faded over the years ... 46 years over here. I spent quite a few years in Saskatchewan where Brits are as rare as trees, and that's probably why my accent went native.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 19:30   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I got "Blackburn" on my Canadian passport ... I was born at Blackburn Royal Infirmary ... I guess they tore it down. But I always tell folks I was born and raised in Clayton, bottom end. If anyone asks where "Clayton" is, I tell 'em: "Not far from Oswaldtwistle."
Clayton as opposed to Clayton le Moors Eric...?

Wouldn't want to be mistooken for a Quebeqoise eh?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 19:57   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Being a Liverpool lad my Scouse accent , while not as prominent as it once was tends to underlie my German & quite often it's picked up by the people I speak to. They can't identify its origins but they're aware I'm not a German, most assume I'm Dutch.

On top of that its tainted Marions English & when she jabbers away in English there's a definite Scousiness about her speech.
Old 13-04-2013, 20:07   #5
God Member

went to a car boot sale in Milton Keynes a few years back, was buying a book from a stall and the fella said to me, are you from Lancashire, i was proud to say i was, he was from Bolton originally, made me smile
Old 13-04-2013, 20:38   #6
Senior Member+

My retort when asked about my origins is " I was born and bred in Accrington. You can't BUY class"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:08   #7
Resting in Peace

Much on the same theme, I was working in Coventry in the early 80s the Park working men's club on Pall Mall, we were doing bars and ceilings. I was on the scaffolding when a bloke who was a regular said to me, you must come fra Lancashire, ya I said Accrington, we always used Accy as a local point, ya well so was I, he told me he was born on Busk Meadow Street, it turned out that he sat next to my mother at St Mary's School, small world ain't it
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 12:49   #8
God Member

i get a few strange looks with a mixed scots lancs accent
Old 14-04-2013, 13:20   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i get a few strange looks with a mixed scots lancs accent
Lets be honest you get those looks because of the rubbish you spout, not because of the dialect you utter this tripe in.
cashman and jaysay like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:41   #10
God Member

i was taking to somone in wales once and they thought folk from accy had scouse accents because of that bloody milk advert lol

theres people out there who think we are scousers

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:23   #11
Full Member+

I was doing a course as UMIST (Manchester)in the early nineties and one of the other students was boasting about coming from 'the Home Counties although she lived in Clapham. She kept telling me to slow down as she needed a translator for my accent. She then proceeded to start throwing 'ee by gum' in to every sentence. She very nearly experienced the 'Oswaldtwistle kiss' as a going home present.!
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:26   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i was taking to somone in wales once and they thought folk from accy had scouse accents because of that bloody milk advert lol

theres people out there who think we are scousers
Well the only thing they give any thought to in Wales is Sheep, So hardly a shock.
Old 14-04-2013, 14:32   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well the only thing they give any thought to in Wales is Sheep, So hardly a shock.
And when they've tired the sheep out they send them over to Tod' so that the dingles don't have to run too fast to catch them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:55   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I was doing a course as UMIST (Manchester)in the early nineties and one of the other students was boasting about coming from 'the Home Counties although she lived in Clapham. She kept telling me to slow down as she needed a translator for my accent. She then proceeded to start throwing 'ee by gum' in to every sentence. She very nearly experienced the 'Oswaldtwistle kiss' as a going home present.!
I work with a lad from the US..his attempts to mimic my Lancashire accent well.....think the bastard child of a sabden treacle miner (female) crossed with Dick Van Dyke outa Mary Poppins.
Eric, maxthecollie and westendlass like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..