Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2010, 16:00   #61

Re: Lancashire County Council Flag Ban

oh to hell with it lets ban everything lol
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2010, 16:32   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...because when you stood against Britcliffe you posted that you didn't canvass any houses displaying the Cross of St. George, because they were likely to be nationalists.

We had a bit of a debate about he issue. Myself disagreeing with you.

Didn't really want to ignite old arguments. Just thought you'd get my gentle reminder.

Lol, I have the cross of St George flying on my car and house at this very minute. Although I think my point was about the Union Jack.

I remember saying that and I do stand by it - but I do think it's a different situation during the World Cup when everyone reclaims the flag from the racists thugs who have abused it for their own use.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 17:26   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Lol, I have the cross of St George flying on my car and house at this very minute. Although I think my point was about the Union Jack.

I remember saying that and I do stand by it - but I do think it's a different situation during the World Cup when everyone reclaims the flag from the racists thugs who have abused it for their own use.
But why should it only be during the football world cup that it is deemed acceptable to hang and fly the Cross of St George? This is no more than politically correct nonsense.

We know that over in the USA - for all it's faults - people fly their flag and wear their lapel badges every day throughout the year. It would seem to me a good idea that every English town hall, school, municiple building, church, chapel and mosque should have a statutory obligation to fly the St George flag round the clock, failure to do so resulting in the most punitive of penalties.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 17:33   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
But why should it only be during the football world cup that it is deemed acceptable to hang and fly the Cross of St George? This is no more than politically correct nonsense.

We know that over in the USA - for all it's faults - people fly their flag and wear their lapel badges every day throughout the year. It would seem to me a good idea that every English town hall, school, municiple building, church, chapel and mosque should have a statutory obligation to fly the St George flag round the clock, failure to do so resulting in the most punitive of penalties.
A bit worrying when this happens - but I agree with you.

Why should it just be during the World Cup? Unfortunately a certain group of people took the Union Jack and abused for their own racist purposes to the point where regular, normal, patriotic people got too scared to display the Union Jack for fear of looking as though they belonged to a racist sect.

Old 13-06-2010, 20:39   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Why should it just be during the World Cup? Unfortunately a certain group of people took the Union Jack and abused for their own racist purposes to the point where regular, normal, patriotic people got too scared to display the Union Jack for fear of looking as though they belonged to a racist sect.
I also agree it should be acceptable to fly the flag anytime if one so wishes, i disagree that normal patriotic people got too scared to display union jack in fear of looking racists, personally i think more stopped displaying it, through "Knobheads" in positions of authority, callin em racist.
Old 14-06-2010, 00:19   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

Hey, do I read this right? Government buildings and schools don't have to fly your flag? Every town or city hall, school, municipal building etc. in Canada has to fly the Maple Leaf. And lots of homeowners fly the flag year round; and on Canada Day, just about everyone has a flag: on their house, car, hat, shirt, boat, bike, tatooed on their asses .... everywhere.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 00:43   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hey, do I read this right? Government buildings and schools don't have to fly your flag? Every town or city hall, school, municipal building etc. in Canada has to fly the Maple Leaf. And lots of homeowners fly the flag year round; and on Canada Day, just about everyone has a flag: on their house, car, hat, shirt, boat, bike, tatooed on their asses .... everywhere.
You want a laugh?

Read this thread from the last time the World Cup was on, when the venue for an Accy Web meet was suspected of being a hot bed of neo-nazism, because they displayed a Union flag inside.

Sadly it was also the year when Gayle didn't campaign at houses displaying the same Union Jack flag, as stated in the thread, fearing those places too would be inhabited by fascists.

She lost, and so did democracy, if people still think of the national flag as being a symbol of far-right extremism.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...nue-31787.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 06:38   #68
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Quote:
Eric=Hey, do I read this right? Government buildings and schools don't have to fly your flag? Every town or city hall, school, municipal building etc. in Canada has to fly the Maple Leaf. And lots of homeowners fly the flag year round; and on Canada Day, just about everyone has a flag: on their house, car, hat, shirt, boat, bike, tatooed on their asses .... everywhere.
Perhaps it's time that we, the majority re-claimed our National flags? Both the Union Flag and the England Flag have been mis-represented for far too long.

If instead of little Hitlers being allowed to ban them from being flown, we follow the example of the obvious National Pride displayed by Eric & his fellow Canadians and flew the flags from just about every building across the land, the minorities that would use them for foul means would be forced away from disgracing these symbols of pride and design a rag of their own for others to spit on?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 08:16   #69
Give, give, give member

In the seventies you did see the National Front marching with the Union flag.

However, if you ask most people today about the national flag being ambushed, and used for self promotion, Gerri Halliwell's dress at the Brits in 1997, and the whole Cool Britannia thing, such as Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit, draped in said flag on the cover of Vanity Fair in the same year, comes up more than any association with any far-right extremists, except in the eyes of wooly liberals, who are too keen to see offence, when there isn't any.

Old 14-06-2010, 08:31   #70
God Member

Quote:

Sadly it was also the year when Gayle didn't campaign at houses displaying the same Union Jack flag, as stated in the thread, fearing those places too would be inhabited by fascists.

She lost, and so did democracy, if people still think of the national flag as being a symbol of far-right extremism.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...nue-31787.html
I've read through that whole thread again and I'm sorry, but I still stand by it. I also think it's wrong that this is the way it is.

I wasn't saying that i was happy with the situation. Just saying that unless it's a great sporting event most people tend to tuck their flags away. How many will still be flying when England get knocked out in the quarter finals? I'd imagine that a lot of the flags will be destroyed in frustration at that point.

In six months time how many flags will still be flying?

Old 14-06-2010, 08:49   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've read through that whole thread again and I'm sorry, but I still stand by it. I also think it's wrong that this is the way it is.

I wasn't saying that i was happy with the situation. Just saying that unless it's a great sporting event most people tend to tuck their flags away. How many will still be flying when England get knocked out in the quarter finals? I'd imagine that a lot of the flags will be destroyed in frustration at that point.

In six months time how many flags will still be flying?

...and four years on I still totally disagree with your point of view, that if you see a flag, Union or English, outside of a football tournament, that has fascist connotations.

Just as the best criminals never get caught, most right-wing extremists aren't skinheads, wearing Docs, and waving the Union Jack.

You see many more Union Jacks at Proms in the Parks concerts, than you do at any extremist rallies nowadays.

Old 14-06-2010, 08:54   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya should run fer parliment gayle.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:05   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I see her more in Lytham St. Annes, since she's Blackpool born, chatting over the fence, with your friend Karen Buckley.

Old 14-06-2010, 09:06   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Just as the best criminals never get caught, most right-wing extremists aren't skinheads, wearing Docs, and waving the Union Jack.
In the seventies the leader of the local National Front, was someone who used to publish the vilest, most offensive, racist literature, both in leaflet form, and via the letters page of the local press. The sort of guff that whites were superior to other races, and that Pakistanis should 'go home'.

He was well educated, at Accy Grammar School, wasn't a skinhead, and nor did I ever see him with a Union Jack.

He now runs a business in Oswaldtwistle, and if I'm not mistaken, known to someone who thinks national flags somehow equal nationalism.

Old 14-06-2010, 09:35   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In the seventies the leader of the local National Front, was someone who used to publish the vilest, most offensive, racist literature, both in leaflet form, and via the letters page of the local press. The sort of guff that whites were superior to other races, and that Pakistanis should 'go home'.

He was well educated, at Accy Grammar School, wasn't a skinhead, and nor did I ever see him with a Union Jack.

He now runs a business in Oswaldtwistle, and if I'm not mistaken, known to someone who thinks national flags somehow equal nationalism.
...and I've never seen the Union flag, or the England flag, anywhere at his bookshop.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..