Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2007, 03:10   #1
God Member

Last time you saw an Horse 'n' cart on the streets

trying to remember the last time I saw a horse and cart in the Hyndburn area (excepting Thwaites brewery drays, are they still around ?) . Think the last one I remember around the Gt Harwood area was during the early 60s, a rag and bone chap called Basil , think he was from bottom end of Clayton. Also maybe a coal chap who worked out of the station coal yard in front of the Royal pub.
Thinking about it , the demise of the rag chap probably coincided with demise of the donkey stoning the front step.

thread should maybe in the nostalgia section ,
thx.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2007, 07:23   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Last time you saw an Horse 'n' cart on the streets

Gosh it must be so long ago I can't remember when.

I do remember Jackson's milk deliveries by horse, and Albert Birtwell with his "Hi Scream Here".

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 08:03   #3

I've never seen one in Accy.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 08:03   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remember those willow, also arthur mortimer used to have one for his tatting,think it was early 80s when he died, used to stable his horse top of plantation street somewhere.
Old 21-06-2007, 08:45   #5
Resident Waffler

Tatting? The only tatting I know is like crochet but with a bobbin/shuttle type thing instead of a hook.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 08:55   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Tatting? The only tatting I know is like crochet but with a bobbin/shuttle type thing instead of a hook.
its an old word that seems to have died a death lol,people used to say the rag tatter for the rag n bone man etc, have a real funny story about arthur - but would take too long to type out.lol

Last edited by cashman; 21-06-2007 at 08:58. Reason: add
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 09:02   #7
God Member

I think you mean totting (i used to do tatting in my youth)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 09:07   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think you mean totting (i used to do tatting in my youth)
no margaret was definatly tatting, learnt it from owd henry a caracter who used to kip in readers up the raggy back.
Old 21-06-2007, 09:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no margaret was definatly tatting, learnt it from owd henry a caracter who used to kip in readers up the raggy back.
OK - you seem to have got it 'straight from the horses mouth'
Bill Sledden kept a couple of horses in a field near me until vandals burnt the stable a couple of years ago. He used to be visited by a mate who had a 'horse and trap' - was nice to see it go past my window.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 09:26   #10
Resting in Peace

Apart from when I've seen "Travellers" on their way to Applyby Fare around Easter not seen any Horse and Carts for years.......
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 09:34   #11
Give, give, give member

My next door neighbour, Pendy's cousin, used to ride up and down in a pony and trap in the eighties, and used to go as far as Appleby Fair.

I think it was also in the eighties that Jackson's stopped delivering the milk by horse drawn wagon. I remember they used to trim the horse and cart up with flowers each May Day.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 13:04   #12
Resting in Peace

The last time I seen one was the other weekend in Ossy:

Only a small one mind, however it took me ages to get past the flipping thing...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 13:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
trying to remember the last time I saw a horse and cart in the Hyndburn area (excepting Thwaites brewery drays, are they still around ?) . Think the last one I remember around the Gt Harwood area was during the early 60s, a rag and bone chap called Basil , think he was from bottom end of Clayton. Also maybe a coal chap who worked out of the station coal yard in front of the Royal pub.
Thinking about it , the demise of the rag chap probably coincided with demise of the donkey stoning the front step.

thread should maybe in the nostalgia section ,
thx.
That would be Basil Brierly; he had a junk yard just off Lower Barnes St. He and his wife ran a shop on Barnes St. He used to pop into the Village Blacksmith for a pint. I remember having coal delivered by horse and cart, and milk from Ringstonhalgh farm off the end of Rishton Rd. I think that a family called Swale owed the farm which had probably been there at least from Domesday times.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 14:05   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I think it was also in the eighties that Jackson's stopped delivering the milk by horse drawn wagon. I remember they used to trim the horse and cart up with flowers each May Day.
it was in 80s was living on Dill Hall at the time n used to curse the sodding thing. was just asleep off nights n the clopping n the rattling of bottles against the crates used to wake me.
Old 21-06-2007, 15:20   #15
God Member

it was in my younger days... and were the rag and bone chap doing his weeklys in ossy ...omg i feel old now hehe
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..