Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2010, 16:12   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Let the people have a say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wow! Please Bob don't pass me the White feather, to paraphrase a famous quote, "ask not what Hyndburn Council can do for you, ask what you can do for Hynburn Council".
WHERE DO I SIGN?
Following on from that, I live here, so do many other people, we have the Lions, Business people that are charitable, but as has been seen in THE arty thread, no word from the common wo/man. (see I can be P.C. When I want to be).
Could we not have an independent body of 'ordinary' folk to advise our illustrious Council of what is acceptable and what is a complete waste of time?
I volunteer to be the Captain Mainwaring of this quango, but, to make it different to other quangos anyone volunteering must not and will not be reimbursed for any expenses entailed in using their bus pass to get there.
A bit like the good old days when councillor and cricketers didn't expect to get paid?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2010, 16:29   #2
God Member

Re: Let the people have a say!

Wot, sort of like an Arts Council of Hyndburn? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a Common Sense Forum? Either way, I think it's an excellent suggestion.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:34   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

A truly altruistic ideal, but in these modern times I think you'd be facing an uphill struggle. As there are those who would perceive their existences (and wallets) as being challenged by such a community & selfless spirit.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 16:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Wot, sort of like an Arts Council of Hyndburn? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a Common Sense Forum? Either way, I think it's an excellent suggestion.
No, somewhere along the lines of 'I know I'll be ignored, you'll do what you want and waste what you can, but at least I can get together with like minded people once a month and laugh at ideas from people pretending they give a damn!'.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:47   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Following on from that, I live here, so do many other people, we have the Lions, Business people that are charitable, but as has been seen in THE arty thread, no word from the common wo/man. (see I can be P.C. When I want to be).
Could we not have an independent body of 'ordinary' folk to advise our illustrious Council of what is acceptable and what is a complete waste of time?
I volunteer to be the Captain Mainwaring of this quango, but, to make it different to other quangos anyone volunteering must not and will not be reimbursed for any expenses entailed in using their bus pass to get there.
A bit like the good old days when councillor and cricketers didn't expect to get paid?
Under the present administration you would need a council chairman with a current allowance of £1,500. The Leader of the Council appoints such chairs.

Who do you think would get the position?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Under the present administration you would need a council chairman with a current allowance of £1,500. The Leader of the Council appoints such chairs.

O.K. I don't mind taking second place to such an expert, I'm only tickling my feet in this murky pond, (in fact, I'm a touch reluctant to even put a toe into the mire), just give me a chance to tell my boss I have better places to be, with the chance of extracting the urine from people more pompous than you.

Somehow, although this would take some years to implement, no matter how many phoney references I supply I would fail the interview.

Last edited by Less; 30-10-2010 at 17:06.
Old 30-10-2010, 17:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

O.K. I don't mind taking second place to such an expert, I'm only tickling my feet in this murky pond, (in fact, I'm a touch reluctant to even put a toe into the mire), just give me a chance to tell my boss I have better places to be, with the chance of extraction the urine from people more pompous than you. (we live in sensitive times, I'm referring to my boss as pompous, not you)

Somehow, although this would take some years to implement, no matter how many phoney references I supply I would fail the interview.
Old 30-10-2010, 17:19   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
'Citizens Panels' were the flavour of the month a few years ago. Goodness knows what happened to them - probably quietly dropped as soon as the next fad came along.

And the whole point of Area Council meetings was to give the 'ordinary people' a voice. Any ordinary person who had a coherent enough voice quickly became a councillor and part of the system.

Cynical? Moi?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:23   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
'Citizens Panels' were the flavour of the month a few years ago. Goodness knows what happened to them - probably quietly dropped as soon as the next fad came along.

And the whole point of Area Council meetings was to give the 'ordinary people' a voice. Any ordinary person who had a coherent enough voice quickly became a councillor and part of the system.

Cynical? Moi?
We have a system?
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:23   #10
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

Cynical? Moi?
That was how I managed to wangle my way onto the non-stop gravy train.

Area Councils are sound in principle but very much the political eyes and ears of the controlling group and run as such. In order to try and get the Rishton one working as a proper people's forum I have posted an invite through every door in the village, something which isn't going to go down well at Scaitcliffe House.

If just 1% turn up we'll have 80 extra bodies which would frighten the life out of any councillor who isn't up to scratch.

Good job I'm pulling my weight.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:28   #11
Give, give, give member

We do have a say.

Every election.

Plus, most councillors I've ever met will listen to your views.

Perhaps if you want more of a say, you should stand for election.

The mayor's robes fit anyone...apparently.

Who'd be your lady mayoress, Less?

Let the people have their say.

We could have a poll on here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:33   #12

Oh well, I reckon one more pint and I'll start displaying the truth, it looks like a really important subject I can be accussed of taking the pith out of, hope the thread starter doesn't report me, I'm on my last warning as it is!
Old 30-10-2010, 19:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We do have a say.

Every election.

Plus, most councillors I've ever met will listen to your views.

Perhaps if you want more of a say, you should stand for election.

The mayor's robes fit anyone...apparently.

Who'd be your lady mayoress, Less?

Let the people have their say.

We could have a poll on here.

As the old joke says, one of our female members would comment, "someone that hasn't had sex with Less? must be that stuck up bitch that only posts in fantasy threads!"
Old 30-10-2010, 19:31   #14
Senior Member+

I got it wrong there, Less, I thought Garinda was asking a general question-would Less be your choice as mayoress! I was just about to vote.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 19:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon booth View Post
i got it wrong there, less, i thought garinda was asking a general question-would less be your choice as mayoress! I was just about to vote.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..