Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2012, 11:56   #1
Senior Member+

Leveson Inquiry

The Leveson Inquiry has been running a couple of months now, and occupies a lot of time on the News Channels and has been given plenty of column inches in the quality papers.

There seems to be growing a theory that, whilst it is of major interest in the 'Westminster Bubble', there is little appetite for it in the country as a whole. This seems to be confirmed by the lack of discussion of it on this forum, apart from references to Rupert Murdoch in the thread entitled 'The Tories'. And my search for the word 'Leveson' hasn't returned a single result.

Is this because we aren't really learning anything new, and ithe whole thing is becoming nothing more than theatre, with individuals giving well rehearsed answers, and the process degenerating into tittle tattle about things like how David Cameron signs off his text messages?

We know exactly what Leveson's conclusions will be:
1. The Press have acted inappropriately in the past in getting and publishing information, and this must stop.
2. There has been too close a relationship in the past between Politicians and the Press Barons, and this must stop.

Anything further, like criminal activity in phone hacking or securing contracts, is subject to separate criminal proceedings, which will come out in the wash as the cases come to court.

Leveson is costing us a fortune. Is it really money well spent?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2012, 12:07   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Leveson Inquiry

In a word 'NO'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:05   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It has been used my many 'witnesses' as a tool for there own gain and those doing the questioning have proven themselves inadequate many times.

This should not have happened until after the Police finished their investigations.
Old 13-05-2012, 18:05   #4
Resting in Peace

Its not worth a light to me just something for the quality papers to fill their column inches, just wish there was as much effort put into catching criminals and crime that effects the ordinary public, after all's said and done, most of this hacking has been about celebrities, who normally court publicity
Old 13-05-2012, 19:20   #5
God Member

1. This enquiry gives the illusion that governments have been influenced by the media.

2. Some of us thought that the media was under the control of governments (they show what governments want you to see).

3. Both are an illusion because both governments and media are controlled by a select few who control everything.

So this charade is just an excercise to divert your attention from the possibilty that item 3 is operating.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 19:27   #6
JFT96

With some Governments 2 is spot on, the Nazi Party per and during WW2, The DPRK (North Korea) and of course some of the deep African nations.

Personally I think a option 4, Most politicians are inept and only interested in feathering their own nests, a bit like most journalists really

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 08:47   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
With some Governments 2 is spot on, the Nazi Party per and during WW2, The DPRK (North Korea) and of course some of the deep African nations.

Personally I think a option 4, Most politicians are inept and only interested in feathering their own nests, a bit like most journalists really
Think your right about number 4 BG, illustrated by how easily they change their minds and do the opposite to guard their own political career
Old 14-05-2012, 17:54   #8
God Member

its a pointless exercise made to give the illusion something is been done.Everything seems to be focused on how teh government suffered.

when is somone high up going to get jailed for hacking murder victims phones.The real victims seem to have been forgotten in this charade

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:21   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its a pointless exercise made to give the illusion something is been done.Everything seems to be focused on how the government suffered.

when is somone high up going to get jailed for hacking murder victims phones.The real victims seem to have been forgotten in this charade
I think you'll find that the police made a statement last week saying they had not found any evidence that this took place
Old 14-05-2012, 18:42   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

You think they are that good?

Look at our local rep?

he would rather put threat's on site than actually tell us anything,

shameful, shameful, shameful.

Oeer could I be done for that?

Possibly in his view I deserve to be, but, what the heck, I haven't mentioned the saddo's name once so perhaps I'm safe.

We will see...

Anyone that threatens the majority because of a one posting minority, must be thinking above what he was voted in for.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:48   #11
JFT96

I'd be careful Less, you could be classed as a terrorist and extradited to Guantanamo.
Anyone fancy a nice orange jump suit

Old 14-05-2012, 19:02   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'd be careful Less, you could be classed as a terrorist and extradited to Guantanamo.
Anyone fancy a nice orange jump suit
So, I get a holiday?

Then I get my life story bought by the Daily Mail. (I would rather have it published).

Then having served my sentence made my cash I could afford to tell the ace hole what I think of him since he was voted in?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:09   #13
JFT96

Now you know that sounds quite nice, I hear the have interesting water sports over there. I might join you

Old 14-05-2012, 19:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
I hear the have interesting water sports over there. I might join you

ya know something if they took teh waterboarding out and used whats left when refering to water sports they would probably talk faster

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 19:15   #15
Senior Member+

Whatever the shortcomings of the Leveson Inquiry, the decision by David Cameron to withhold coochy coochy texts between himself and the red haired witch Rebekah Brooks is fairly breath-taking.

It makes him look seedy, shifty and untrustworthy - in the true traditions of Thatcher, Blair and Brown, I here you mutter! But they are all has-beens. Cameron is supposed to be our leader. How did he remotely think that the texts were not relevant to Leveson?

Absolutely staggering!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..