Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49   #1
Senior Member+

Live Earth - waste of time?!

what was live earth about?

i mean if it was about saving the planet and raising awareness - how did they manage to achieve that by flying bands all around the world and then gettin LOADS of people - some of whom would've been sat at home to drive down to the concerts and wait in traffic?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09   #2
God Member

Re: Live Earth - waste of time?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
what was live earth about?

i mean if it was about saving the planet and raising awareness - how did they manage to achieve that by flying bands all around the world and then gettin LOADS of people - some of whom would've been sat at home to drive down to the concerts and wait in traffic?
Mani you are out of touch man.. it's the way forward..stop moaning
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46   #3
Senior Member+

Well, after pop stars saved Africa and made so much difference that starvation, famine and drought are things of the past, it's now time to save the planet.

I hope Marvel create a new superhero popstar in honour of these new saints!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05   #4

I think it was a good idea and if people are willing to wait in traffic etc they can.... nobody forced them to....
Lea
x
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:08   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppysirploppy View Post
I think it was a good idea and if people are willing to wait in traffic etc they can.... nobody forced them to....
That's right! If people want to sit in traffic burning energy and giving off pollutants whilst on their way to a 'save the environment' concert, they can do. It's all ok as long as they chuck a bit of change in a bucket on the way out.
Old 08-07-2007, 13:05   #6
Super Moderator

And still the hypocrisy grows...it now turns out that Madonna's Ray of Light charitable foundation has £2.1 million of shares in various companies like Alcoa (aluminium manufacturers), Ford Motors and Weyerhaeuser (forest products), all of whom have come under fire from environmentalists.

But is anybody really surprised by all this? Ever since John Lennon appeared on Top of the Pops singing "Imagine no possessions" sitting in his luxury mansion in the Surrey stockbroker belt, it's been obvious that, no matter how great their musical talents, no one should regard pop stars' views on world affairs with the slightest degree of credibility. The sad thing is that the opposite has happened and the likes of Bono, Geldof etc have been eagerly courted by world leaders, instead of being told to shut up and get on with making records, touring and all the other things that pop stars do.

...and, also, slightly off-topic, but related, it's been reported that Nancy Dell'Olio is teaming up with Tony Blair in an effort to bring peace to the Middle East. That'll really sort Hamas out!!
Old 08-07-2007, 13:40   #7
God Member

When Live Aid happened in 82 (think it was 82) it was good because it made an impact. At the time nothing of its scale had happened before and it really got a message out and we here in the west had no idea of what it was like in places like Ethiopia. However, in the intervening years have we actually helped?

Nowadays there's one of those concerts practically every week - literally every week - not only are they hypocritical particularly in this instance they are losing their over all impact.

If every one of those popstars were to donate a quarter of their yearly income to these impoverished nations then there wouldn't be such a problem anyway. Plus, instead of doing Live Earth they'd have all stayed at home and saved the Wembley electricity bill.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 14:00   #8
Resident Waffler

Nice one Gayle

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 14:08   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:

But is anybody really surprised by all this? Ever since John Lennon appeared on Top of the Pops singing "Imagine no possessions" sitting in his luxury mansion in the Surrey stockbroker belt, it's been obvious that, no matter how great their musical talents, no one should regard pop stars' views on world affairs with the slightest degree of credibility. The sad thing is that the opposite has happened and the likes of Bono, Geldof etc have been eagerly courted by world leaders, instead of being told to shut up and get on with making records, touring and all the other things that pop stars do.

Half these stars would be flipping burgers at Macdonalds if they couldn't sing or play an instrument, would you take advice on global warming from your local burger flipper?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 14:52   #10
Senior Member+

and did it make madonna stop using her merc maybach every day to go to the gym?
Old 08-07-2007, 15:11   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
and did it make madonna stop using her merc maybach every day to go to the gym?

Yes, she finds her 4x4 has more room in the back for her gym bag.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 15:22   #12
Beacon of light

I think it was a waste of time. Just an excuse for some pop stars to pretend they are interested in the planet...when we know that all they are really interested in is raising their profile and making some dosh.

Now if they had been donating the rewards from the concerts to projects that are relevant to the cause i might just have had a rethink.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 16:09   #13
God Member

Sorry not my cup of tea. How much gas end up in the air to put these shows on and I dont mean the gas from the dung they are spouting either. It to me is self defeating.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 16:36   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Madonna's Ray of Light charitable foundation has £2.1 million of shares in various companies like Alcoa (aluminium manufacturers), Ford Motors and Weyerhaeuser (forest products), all of whom have come under fire from environmentalists.
Alcoa owned an aluminium foundry in Leyland, it closed down last year with the loss of all its jobs
Old 08-07-2007, 17:58   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

way forward? youve been conned Mancie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..