Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2006, 11:19   #1
God Member

Local by elections

Well, today is the day of the Spring Hill by-election (how do you write that, should it be bye election, by election or by-election?). If you live in that area please remember to vote.

Also, looks like we'll be having another one very soon as Ann Scaife has resigned. Ann is the Councillor for Rishton and has been living in Oxford for the last six months or so. As it looks like it will be a more permanent arrangement and not the temporary one that she'd hoped for she's decided to resign her seat.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2006, 11:29   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Local by elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Well, today is the day of the Spring Hill by-election (how do you write that, should it be bye election, by election or by-election?).
you do a quick search in google by copying and pasting each of the examples and discover

No-one seems to know!

So then you put it in wikipedia and get these results:-
A by-election or bye-election is a special election held to fill a political office that has become vacant between general elections. Usually this occurs when the incumbent has died or resigned, but it may also occur when the incumbent becomes ineligible to continue in office, for example because of a recall or a sufficiently serious criminal conviction. Historically, members of some parliaments were required to seek re-election upon being appointed to a ministerial post. The subsequent by-elections were termed ministerial by-elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_election

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 13:05   #3
God Member

Quote:
Ann is the Councillor for Rishton and has been living in Oxford for the last six months or so. As it looks like it will be a more permanent arrangement and not the temporary one that she'd hoped for she's decided to resign her seat.
Can someone please explain how it is that a Hyndburn councillor who has been living in Oxford for the last 6 months or so has only now decided to resign? I do not know what party she represents - that is irrelevant - but surely the entire basis of local government is that it is exactly that - local.

Councillors are there to represent their ward and to deal with their constituents' issues as quickly and as efficiently as possible. If my bin ain't being emptied and complaints through the bureaucratic channels have failed, then I want to walk round the block and see my local councillor; I do not want to spend sixty quid on a saver return to Oxford in order to discuss the matter. This is a disgrace and this councillor and her party should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 21-09-2006 at 13:08.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 16:23   #4
Senior Member+

Hope you all like this story. hahaha

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/display.var.932329.0.poll_canvassers_dog_bite_agon y.php

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 16:35   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
Nice one

Quote:
Inspector Terry Woods, of Accrington police, said that the matter had been investigated.
He added: "The police have received a report of a dog bite incident on Slaidburn Drive in Accrington which happened on September 14.
"I am unable to confirm the identity of the people involved."
This made me laugh at the end of the report, It can't have been much of an investigation can it? At the very least they should have asked the persons name.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 16:44   #6
I am Band

Exclamation Re: Local by elections

Quote:

Also, looks like we'll be having another one very soon as Ann Scaife has resigned. Ann is the Councillor for Rishton and has been living in Oxford for the last six months or so. As it looks like it will be a more permanent arrangement and not the temporary one that she'd hoped for she's decided to resign her seat.
That explains why Accrington and the rest of the borough is spiralling ever downwards as a sh!t-tip whilst the policy maker of the cleansing department has gone AWOL.

Has Ms Scaife been still claiming her council allowances during her leave of absence?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 17:53   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist

Has Ms Scaife been still claiming her council allowances during her leave of absence?
Yes, she has!

Old 21-09-2006, 18:04   #8
I am Band

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, she has!
If that is true, then this displays a complete lack of honesty & integrity on the part of Ms Scaife.

Will the absent councillor be brought to book for her errant ways? Surely this is a form of theft, from the ratepayers of Hyndburn.

I think this example is one of the reasons why there is such a large amount of voter apathy when it comes to election time, at both a local and also national level.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 18:11   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Will the absent councillor be brought to book for her errant ways?

This is Accy we are talking about, when was the last time a freeloader was brought to book.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 19:11   #10

hi, yes i agree with that dont know why she bothered going for the seet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Can someone please explain how it is that a Hyndburn councillor who has been living in Oxford for the last 6 months or so has only now decided to resign? I do not know what party she represents - that is irrelevant - but surely the entire basis of local government is that it is exactly that - local.

Councillors are there to represent their ward and to deal with their constituents' issues as quickly and as efficiently as possible. If my bin ain't being emptied and complaints through the bureaucratic channels have failed, then I want to walk round the block and see my local councillor; I do not want to spend sixty quid on a saver return to Oxford in order to discuss the matter. This is a disgrace and this councillor and her party should be ashamed of themselves.
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 20:09   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
That explains why Accrington and the rest of the borough is spiralling ever downwards as a sh!t-tip whilst the policy maker of the cleansing department has gone AWOL.

It get's worse, there is a lot more to come out about this story yet. It will be interesting to see if PB carries on defending Ann.

I have to say when she did serve she was a bit hit and miss but definately dedicated. However what she has done (in cohoots with PB) is wrong.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 20:11   #12
Senior Member+

Tonights Spring Hill by-election. Turnout is way down with 50 mins left. Expect some 780 voters final (from 1170 in May). About 700 have voted so far.
Old 21-09-2006, 20:53   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
However what she has done (in cohoots with PB) is wrong.
Come on Graham don't keep us in suspense, spill the beans, its a full week till the Observer comes out again.

Last edited by Neil; 22-09-2006 at 08:56.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 23:28   #14
Senior Member+

Spring Hill By Election Result

Labour 528
Conservatives 247

Turnout 22% (780 / 5 spoilt)

Majority 281

PB told the Telegraph "This was a fantastic night for the Tory Party, The Labour vote collapsed and the Tory vote went up".

He didn't control his temper well. He spat his dummy out about chair arrangements and where were chairs for the Tories, had a go at council officers suggesting how they shoudl do things he was telling them, and talking loud about the upcoming Rishton by-election. Marlene Haworth was very upset by the result.

I felt sorry for the young Tory. He entered the count at 9.30pm and no Conservative came to the count to support him till 10.10pm.
Old 22-09-2006, 06:18   #15
God Member

Well done, can't quite see how it could be a fantastic night for the tories when the majority was more than their actual vote!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..