Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 13:18   #31
God Member

Re: Local Election Results

I should add that the main reason for this change of heart is possibly a temporary one, as I think there is a genuine difficulty in defining who is actually representing who at the moment. Seems to be confusion over who both the Labour party and the Conservatives are representing and it is leading to people genuinely feeling like they are just being deceived somewhere and probably going to be let down again.

I have some pretty committed Labour friends at University, even more so than tory boy Cyfr to the tories, and he genuinely didn't know what to do at elections. If someone who understands and studies politics doesn't know what to do than how can the ordinary citizen?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2008, 13:20   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I should add that the main reason for this change of heart is possibly a temporary one, as I think there is a genuine difficulty in defining who is actually representing who at the moment. Seems to be confusion over who both the Labour party and the Conservatives are representing and it is leading to people genuinely feeling like they are just being deceived somewhere and probably going to be let down again.

I have some pretty committed Labour friends at University, even more so than tory boy Cyfr to the tories, and he genuinely didn't know what to do at elections. If someone who understands and studies politics doesn't know what to do than how can the ordinary citizen?
Who doesn't know what to do?
Old 02-05-2008, 13:21   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Who doesn't know what to do?
A friend of mine at university, did I not make that clear, I apologise I obviously wasn't referring to anyone here though, I don't think I have any 'labour friends' on accyweb
Old 02-05-2008, 13:28   #34
God Member

Quote:
A friend of mine at university, did I not make that clear, I apologise I obviously wasn't referring to anyone here though, I don't think I have any 'labour friends' on accyweb
I do apologise, I thought you were referring to me so I was a bit confused.

Are you saying this person is a labour member, studies politics and doesnt know how to vote?
Old 02-05-2008, 13:44   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe but out of the 12 wards voted on last night Labour only took a third of them. The majority of yesterdays wards were already Tory.
Your quite right Neil, that's why I cant understand where Rindi is coming from you can't make big gains when you already have the lions share
We were defending 7 and fighting 5 one of which we won 1 Altham
we defended St Andrews, St. Oswalds, Netherton, Overton, Central, Baxenden and Barnfield. of the other 4 we haven't won Springhill and Peel since Adam was a lad, we have very little chance of winning Church since the boundry changes a few years ago and in Rishton, Labour have very popular councillor in Harry Grayson, who is the face of the hospice and is very well known and liked in the town. If Labour were as good as Graham Joneses mouth makes them out to be then they would have been pusing hard to win in our 7 Tory held seats, but the thing is they didn't really trouble the scorers, in fact I believe we called it a day at 6pm in Ossy, job done, and I think Labour came 3rd in St Andrews, behind the wandering Liberal, who I don't think knocked on a door or even put out any leaflets. I'll settle for that performance every year, especially only 1 years ago labour had a 41 seat majority
Old 02-05-2008, 13:52   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya we did have a Tory MP but we will be very luck to ever have one again, the goal posts have been moved, I think they used to call it Gerrymandering. When you look back to 1996 the council was 44 Labour 3 Conservative, there are now just 35 seats, but I cant ever see the Tories having say 30 to 5 advantage, as I said in my earlier post we have to wor hard to keep power
Or cheat. I see the Police have been called in this year. Three old ladies voted Labour (as they wanted) through 'a man (who said he was) from the Council' who came around to get them to sign a form so they didn't have to go to the Polling Station. Three supporters of XXXXXXXX returned proxy votes for XXXXXXXXXX. That's just the tip. The Lib Dems are going mad are several issues they found.

Last year you were found out doing a votes for favour's (part of the Taxi Licences to sex offenders for votes) but you won't release the report. (Because your in it up to your neck) Well I've seen it and so has Jean Battle. Now it can't be found! Not released even to Councillor's because of 'race relations' issues.

Last edited by g jones; 02-05-2008 at 14:01.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 13:57   #37
God Member

Quote:
I do apologise, I thought you were referring to me so I was a bit confused.

Are you saying this person is a labour member, studies politics and doesnt know how to vote?
Obviously he knows HOW to vote, I meant he is in a dilemma as to whether Labour actually still actually represent his views anymore, and there are a lot of people like this knocking around.
Old 02-05-2008, 14:18   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Last year you were found out doing a votes for favour's (part of the Taxi Licences to sex offenders for votes) but you won't release the report. (Because your in it up to your neck) Well I've seen it and so has Jean Battle. Now it can't be found! Not released even to Councillor's because of 'race relations' issues.
Thats very interesting
Old 02-05-2008, 14:34   #39
God Member

In all the excitment, we should acknowledge that one of our regular members has been elected for the first time so we should congratulate her.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 14:37   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
In all the excitment, we should acknowledge that one of our regular members has been elected for the first time so we should congratulate her.
Would be nicer to congratulate her in a thread that doesn't have so much negative vibe to it perhaps
Old 02-05-2008, 14:48   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Would be nicer to congratulate her in a thread that doesn't have so much negative vibe to it perhaps
It wouldn't be so bad if we knew who she is
Old 02-05-2008, 14:56   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Can we have guesses at it?...I'll go for Lynn Wilson in Netherton and I reckon her nom-de-plume is "Lilly". A total shot in the dark, of course...am I warm?
Old 02-05-2008, 15:01   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Or cheat. I see the Police have been called in this year. Three old ladies voted Labour (as they wanted) through 'a man (who said he was) from the Council' who came around to get them to sign a form so they didn't have to go to the Polling Station. Three supporters of XXXXXXXX returned proxy votes for XXXXXXXXXX. That's just the tip. The Lib Dems are going mad are several issues they found.

Well Graham seeing we are talking about the happenings of yesterday can you shed any light on what I have been hearing that there was an assult on Councillor Britcliffe at last nights count
Old 02-05-2008, 15:03   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Can we have guesses at it?...I'll go for Lynn Wilson in Netherton and I reckon her nom-de-plume is "Lilly". A total shot in the dark, of course...am I warm?
Changed my mind, I now think it's Sue Howarth in Altham, but I still reckon it's "Lily".
Old 02-05-2008, 15:22   #45

Quote:
30% increase in a target ward, I am not at all disappointed!
So what was the target ward?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..