Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 05:59   #1
God Member

local sex offenders and Megans Law

As an adjunct to a thread about child safety.......... Have things got so bad that the streets of Hyndburn are so unsafe that kids can't to even go to the local youth club alone ? if thats the case I would be raising holy hell with the local police and demanding action (remember they work for you) ...or have parents got so paranoid about scare stories from the daily tabloids .....

One thing we have here in my area is a thing called 'Megans Law' which allows anyone to punch in their postcode to a County website and it shows the details (photo ID) and address of anyone living locally who is convicted as a sex offender (flashing thru rape), that way everyone in the neighbourhood is aware of who is about, it's not 100% foolproof but raises a red flag and a warning to the local community . As far as I am concerned a child molester or rapist has no expectation of respect of his human rights and the public have a right to know if he is living in the area .

Welcome to California Megan's Law web site- CA Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20   #2
Senior Member+

Re: local sex offenders and Megans Law

No, we dont have anything like that. They go on a sex offenders register but its not for public viewing.
We have a bail hostel in Accrington and it is rumoured that sex offenders stay in that at times, but we the public are denied any knowledge about it.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:29   #3
Give, give, give member

Inspired by Meagan's Law the mother of a little girl who was killed by a released child sex offender, Sarah Payne, together with the News of the World, the law has been changed recently to allow some access to the facts were known convicted pedophiles are living. It isn't as thorough as Magan's Law but it is a start.

I don't think there are any more pervs around than there were when we weere growing up, just that we are thankfully more knowledgable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30   #4
Give, give, give member

for Sarah Campaign

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:59   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
No, we dont have anything like that. They go on a sex offenders register but its not for public viewing.
We have a bail hostel in Accrington and it is rumoured that sex offenders stay in that at times, but we the public are denied any knowledge about it.
is that the one around teh burnley road area , i heard a few years ago about pedo's staying there after been released from prison

we should have acess to who is living where and so what if vigilantis beat the crap out of themn they deserve it

thanx to accrington probabtion services i got this idiot living next door to me and it was only because my ex was from darwen that she finaly remembered who he was and what he had done Child advice worker's sex with girl, 13

where i used to live was on teh same street as a cubs/guides place and on teh next street there was a school and what makes it even worse is that been a friendly person i invited this pervert into my house for a neighbourly welcome chat etc and my children were in the house , naturaly before my ex remembered who he was

it turned out that he had not informed the police or probabtion that he had moved to surroundings with lots of children and if i hadnt informed teh police they would have never known any different , he was fined a huge amount of £50 for breaking probabtion but in my mind should have been slung back in prison

edit:

forgot to mention he moved and when i checked he again had not informed teh police where he had gone so god knows where he is now

Last edited by chav1; 11-11-2006 at 10:02.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as these people should be SQUASHED under a rock,in my humble opinion,there should be no reason for any law,cos they wouldn,t be here to molest kids.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10   #7
I am Banned

you can get longer jail time for fiddling tax than what you can for raping a child , just shows where the govenments priorities are
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21   #8
Resident Waffler

The thing is that it's not necessarily a case of where they live. They could be cruising around in a car miles from where they live and spot a child alone in a dark street and grab them into the car.

I don't think there are necesarily more of them these days. I just think that we hear more about them because we get all the news reports.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:27   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The thing is that it's not necessarily a case of where they live. They could be cruising around in a car miles from where they live and spot a child alone in a dark street and grab them into the car.

I don't think there are necesarily more of them these days. I just think that we hear more about them because we get all the news reports.
well in that case either execute them or put them all together on an island with mo means of getting off it
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36   #10
Resident Waffler

Did you see that Panorama program last week about a bail hostel? It was located near 3 nursery schools and actually overlooked one. Convicted paedophiles spent the day unsupervised. One was even out with a camera photographng kids! Then there was the guy chatting to little kids and when reported by "a concerned member of the public" nothing seemed to happen until a follow up report, this time admitting they were filming for Panorama and the police sprang into action.

Words fail me at the arrogant woman who said that it was Panorama's responsiblty to report what they saw, as if it wasn't the bail hostel's responsiblity to ensure it couldn't happen!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:44   #11
I am Banned

yep i saw some of that programe willow and i expect that most if not all of the hostels housing pedo's are the same

a gut in that program who worked at the hostel said that they can only supervise and control them when they are inside the hostel but have no control over what they do once they step outside

so basicly he was saying the only way to keep them under control was to keep them inside , now it dosnt take a rocket scientist to coclude that prison is the only place they should be then
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46   #12
Resident Waffler

Yep, they should be locked up for life well out of harm's way.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:01   #13
God Member

highfield house
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:21   #14
Senior Member+

[quote=chav1]is that the one around teh burnley road area , i heard a few years ago about pedo's staying there after been released from prison

The hostel up Burnley road is a Homeless Hostel for women, i know because i had to go and live there 18 years ago when my ex became drunk and violent after the birth of my eldest.

The hostel i was refering too is off a side street off Ormerod Street. My mum went for an interview there some years ago as a cook but when she was informed of the residents she said no to the job on the spot.

Last year a known sex offender was allowed to move into an house opposite a junior school in the Aldi area. Not sure if he is still there or if the residents soon had him shifted, if you know what i mean.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24   #15
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
The hostel i was refering too is off a side street off Ormerod Street. My mum went for an interview there some years ago as a cook but when she was informed of the residents she said no to the job on the spot.
Is it the one in Lydia Street? The big detached house in its own grounds? A friend of mine used to live opposite it and was worried by the number of discarded syringes found in the overgrown grass outside the fence and on the slope where the garages were. She moved.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..