Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2007, 17:31   #31
God Member

Re: Loo Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Kate you need to drill through the tiles wuth a masinary drill and put plastic plugs in for you bathroom accessories.
But be sure to use a drill bit designed to drill tiles or they may crack
How to Drill into Tile Without Breaking It | DoItYourself.com

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2007, 17:33   #32
God Member

Get a proper tile bit ( it's got a sharp point on it ) and put masking tape on the tile where you are going to drill to stop the drill bit from slipping.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:35   #33
Passed away 25-11-09

Never mind JB, I think it's a fascinating and under-valued topic.

Now, on a practical note; if your loo-roll holder has a matching metal flap on top, as many hotel ones do, the only way you can hang the roll is away from the wall. If you do it the other way it will be caught on the edge of the drop-down flap, as it rolls, and will wrinkle and tear. I'm sure I don't have to point out the potentially dire consequences of using a sheet of wrinkled, torn loo-paper, we've all been there haven't we? Oh, well some of us have.

On a scientific note; you know how, sometimes, the perforations in your bog-standard (boom boom) 2-ply loo-roll don't quite match up? It only takes a centimeter out of line and you've got little bits of shredded paper where you gave a tug and only one lot of perforation worked. To cure this problem, hang the offending roll the other way (end facing the wall if it was formerly away from the wall) and, Hey Presto!, your little perforations will match perfectly.

Did you know that it is considered vulgar, in polite society, to use any other colour paper than white? If you want to show how very sophisticated you are where it really counts you should hang plain white paper and avoid pink, green or, particularly, multi-coloured squares of the Daily Mirror. The latter can leave a lasting impression on your guests.

Ooh, I could go on all night but I'll have to stop. Call of Nature.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:36   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Kate you need to drill through the tiles wuth a masinary drill and put plastic plugs in for you bathroom accessories.
Scared though .. might crack the tiles.

There is another problem too .. there are already holes in the tiles where the last one was .. quite deep. Friend (whose husband works for large Spanish manufacturer) told me to put grouting in rather than filler. Bought a tube, but doesn't come out of tube very well, so gave up on that one. Think it might have dried up or summat ?

Heard that you are best to put masking tape on tiles first before drilling .. everybody agree ?

Sorry if going off thread Jambutty, but is sortof related, and been dyeing to ask question for long time, but thought you might all think I am a helpless/thick woman like, and that would never do ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 17:38   #35
God Member

(thread wander) what amazes me is how many people at work think nothing of stealing toilet rolls and taking them home , even the big 15 inch diameter industrial rolls go missing . I'm still trying to figure out how they take them out of the building
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 17:39   #36
God Member

Why are you bothered what people think? If you need advice just ask!!!!
Old 23-10-2007, 17:40   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Loo Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Never mind JB, I think it's a fascinating and under-valued topic.

On a scientific note; you know how, sometimes, the perforations in your bog-standard (boom boom) 2-ply loo-roll don't quite match up? It only takes a centimeter out of line and you've got little bits of shredded paper where you gave a tug and only one lot of perforation worked. To cure this problem, hang the offending roll the other way (end facing the wall if it was formerly away from the wall) and, Hey Presto!, your little perforations will match perfectly.

Ooh, I could go on all night but I'll have to stop. Call of Nature.
That’s because the two sheets have got out of sync. You just have to unwrap one once round the roll and they should then line up OK.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:41   #38
God Member

People used to steal the big ones out of one of the clubs in Accrington. The cheeky sods even broke the lock on the holder.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:44   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
(thread wander) what amazes me is how many people at work think nothing of stealing toilet rolls and taking them home , even the big 15 inch diameter industrial rolls go missing . I'm still trying to figure out how they take them out of the building
When I managed a building I had those single sheet dispensers installed, and then the packs of sheets started going missing from a storage cupboard - they had to be put under lock and key - employees with a grudge often steal in order to get revenge.

Old 23-10-2007, 17:44   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Loo Rolls

Quote:
Why are you bothered what people think? If you need advice just ask!!!!
My sentiments entirely.

Let others live in ignorance.

Right! That's it for today. A snack, a brew and footie on telly.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:48   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
But be sure to use a drill bit designed to drill tiles or they may crack
How to Drill into Tile Without Breaking It | DoItYourself.com
Thanks for the link Margaret, however, all seems terribly difficult and don't have the correct tool ... think I will wait for a kind gentleman to come along who does ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 17:48   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Well I agree with you on this one jambutty ( don't fall over with shock ).
The missus always puts it on the wrong way so I have to correct it for her
Old 23-10-2007, 17:53   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thanks for the link Margaret, however, all seems terribly difficult and don't have the correct tool ... think I will wait for a kind gentleman to come along who does ....
Don't be so 'helpless', get yourself a cordless drill and get on with it
The reason I have done lots of DIY is the fact that if you wait for a man to do it -

IT NEVER GETS DONE!!!

Old 23-10-2007, 17:54   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I was just going to say one of the kind gents off Accyweb will help you out
Old 23-10-2007, 17:57   #45
God Member

Quote:
I was just going to say one of the kind gents off Accyweb will help you out
Suspect that this last post will see the death of this thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..