Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2009, 12:50   #61
God Member

Re: Lordy Lordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Besides the United States it apparently works very well in Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Germany, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Russia and Switzerland.

Except it's massively different. If you are suggesting a bi-cameral parliament, in the way it works in the US, then I'd be tempted to agree with you, it does work, but has some flaws. If the second house were to be elected we cannot keep its position how it is now, as Gayle says and as I tried to say earlier, it would be utterly pointless to have an elected upper house to scrutinise the lower house when it is composed of party majorities like the commons.

Last edited by andrewb; 29-01-2009 at 12:52.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2009, 12:52   #62
God Member

Quote:
I'd totally dispute that claim.

Even before New Labour half-heartedly reformed the Lords, most of the noble Lords were very much aligned to the various political parties.
And I think that's probably the very crux of the problem. The House of Lords needs to be independent (and in theory it was with hereditary lords - whether it was in practice or not is irrelevant and that's why I said 'on the surface').

Only an independent members of House of Lords, i.e. not affiliated to any party, can be above the petty politics of the day, and scrutinise any of the laws.

The only problem is that the current system with Labour toadies (and let's be honest if the Tories get in they'll do exactly the same) doesn't stand up against the House of Commons.

I think a publically elected House of Lords would be even worse because they would be more aligned to party politics and less able to be independent but I don't know what the solution is that would remove party politics from the equation.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:12   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd totally dispute that claim.

Even before New Labour half-heartedly reformed the Lords, most of the noble Lords were very much aligned to the various political parties.
Except the Liberals they were sat on the fence as usual
Old 01-02-2009, 18:36   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
And I think that's probably the very crux of the problem. The House of Lords needs to be independent (and in theory it was with hereditary lords - whether it was in practice or not is irrelevant and that's why I said 'on the surface').

Only an independent members of House of Lords, i.e. not affiliated to any party, can be above the petty politics of the day, and scrutinise any of the laws.

The only problem is that the current system with Labour toadies (and let's be honest if the Tories get in they'll do exactly the same) doesn't stand up against the House of Commons.

I think a publically elected House of Lords would be even worse because they would be more aligned to party politics and less able to be independent but I don't know what the solution is that would remove party politics from the equation.
What is wrong Gayle with an elected House of Lords.We are supposed to live in democratic country.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 18:44   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
What is wrong Gayle with an elected House of Lords.We are supposed to live in democratic country.
Having an elected house with no power shift ensures that whatever the government of the day is, cannot be scrutinised, as they would both have the same composition. Where as currently wise people can comment on legislation, but have no powers to halt it, the elected house, democracy, can overrule. Normally however it takes the Lords decisions into account, as the lords often think of useful things that MP's do not.
Old 01-02-2009, 19:08   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Having an elected house with no power shift ensures that whatever the government of the day is, cannot be scrutinised, as they would both have the same composition. Where as currently wise people can comment on legislation, but have no powers to halt it, the elected house, democracy, can overrule. Normally however it takes the Lords decisions into account, as the lords often think of useful things that MP's do not.
Andrew The House Of Lords not only comments but can also change legislation. The problem I have with this is that the Lords have no mandate from the electorate to change anything. Also Andrew believe you me, age and wisdom are necessarily the same thing
Old 01-02-2009, 19:10   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Andrew The House Of Lords not only comments but can also change legislation. The problem I have with this is that the Lords have no mandate from the electorate to change anything. Also Andrew believe you me, age and wisdom are necessarily the same thing
as 4 of em can testify too last week.
Old 01-02-2009, 19:13   #68
God Member

Quote:
The Lords can change or make legislation, but the democratic house (commons) has the final say. It can simply refuse to take the Lords opinion into account. Therefore the democratic process is ensured.

Last edited by andrewb; 01-02-2009 at 19:19.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 19:23   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The Lords can change or make legislation, but the democratic house (commons) has the final say. It can simply refuse to take the Lords opinion into account. Therefore the democratic process is ensured.
please explain how then Lords can change or make legislation?
Old 01-02-2009, 19:27   #70
God Member

Lets just elect the upper house and then we dont have this crud.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 19:34   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Whilst in theory what you say Andrew is correct. There has however been many occasions where the Government of the day have had to drop legislation because they have been unable to get the Lords approval, or the Lords have simply talked the legislation out.

I still maintain that any second legislative chamber should not only be elected, but also accountable
Old 01-02-2009, 19:37   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
please explain how then Lords can change or make legislation?
Well, you can use can and can't. They can amend and introduce legislation, but the commons has to okay it. If the commons does okay it, then the Lords amendments go through. The commons can always push through legislation and completely ignore the Lords, and rightly so, as they're the elected body.
Old 01-02-2009, 19:38   #73
God Member

Quote:
Whilst in theory what you say Andrew is correct. There has however been many occasions where the Government of the day have had to drop legislation because they have been unable to get the Lords approval, or the Lords have simply talked the legislation out.

I still maintain that any second legislative chamber should not only be elected, but also accountable
Well the government have chosen to do that. Under the 1911 Parliament Act, the Commons can push through any legislation, the Lords cannot talk it out, and the Commons do not need the Lords approval. There is no reason to elect the house when it is only there to suggest things, and gets no actual decision making power.
Old 01-02-2009, 19:44   #74
God Member

Quote:
In theory yes. The only problem is that I can see it being abused.

Lords would be affiliated to political parties (the political parties have the money so would be able to finance their election campaigns). The Lords would end up have the same political persuasion as the Commons and would therefore, end up being little more than a talking shop.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 19:53   #75
God Member

Quote:
Andrew I admire you for choosing politics in your reading and study, your generation are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces that the current government are making a town halls of.
Frankly I dont give a monkey's for the house of lords nor do I give a toss for what goes on in the house of commons.
Public opinion means nothing and even though you defend democratic process, as I have done in the past, the sight and sounds of PM questions gives me the impression that the country is lead by morons.
The pound has been devalued by 30%. Savings, pensions and business has taken an unpresidented dive.
If the current problems are blamed on America, why has the Dollar got stronger and the rest of the world optimum currencies gone tit's up?
I am always in the frame to be educated.
I am sorry but I see the image of our current PM as a bumbling idiot who would rather give state help to lost causes instead of looking after his own.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..