Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 13:07   #1
Give, give, give member

Love kills.

Although I didn't see the programme last night, there is a lot of news about the eight year old child who weighs fourteen stone, and might be taken into care.

I just heard on the news that his mother gives him a full cooked breakfast everyday, as well as mountains of junk food, because he doesn't like 'healthy' food.

To me this woman is guilty of child abuse. What if he decided he didn't want to go to school, or stay up all night playing computer games, would she give in to his wishes then as well? She's also missed taking him for numerous appointments to see a NHS nutritionist at the hospital.

This child's weight is the result of bad parenting. I don't know if taking him into care is the answer, but his mother needs a major lesson in good parenting skills.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...enComment=true

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2007, 13:09   #2
God Member

Re: Love kills.

I saw the programme. His mother was easy to spot as the role model
Old 27-02-2007, 13:10   #3
God Member

I watched most of the programme last night - that woman needs a bloody good kick up the backside!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 13:12   #4
Resident Waffler

Again it was Monday and we don't watch TV on Mondays so I didn't see it but I've heard a bit on the news and read about it and it seems the son and mother suffer from depression. They both need help by the sound of it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 13:13   #5
God Member

I didn't watch the programme but saw the kid on the news, I think its child cruelty but his mother doesn't see that, she said that he wont eat healthy food, I'm sure he would if he weren't offered anything else! I dont think he should be taken into care though, maybe the threat of that will be enough to get his mother to sort him out.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 13:14   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Again it was Monday and we don't watch TV on Mondays so I didn't see it but I've heard a bit on the news and read about it and it seems the son and mother suffer from depression. They both need help by the sound of it.
Ah right so when I have my odd days of can't be arsed to do owt I know it's depression
Old 27-02-2007, 13:19   #7
Give, give, give member

Ms McKeown, 35, told the BBC: "Connor had a mouthful of apple once and he didn't like it.
"He refuses to eat fruit, vegetables and salads - he has processed foods.
"When Connor won't eat anything else, I've got to give him the foods he likes.
"I can't starve him.
"But I'm confident I can get his weight down with a bit of help."
His life expectancy is severely prejudiced.

Dr Colin Waine, National Obesity Forum

Ms McKeown denied she is neglecting her son, and said he would be "skinny" if she had been.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6396457.stm?ls

Stupid woman. If all he had access to was a fridge full of healthy food he would eventually eat it. It's called the survival instinct.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 13:22   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Ah right so when I have my odd days of can't be arsed to do owt I know it's depression
No, depression is an illness and not something which the sufferer has any control over. It is clinically diagnosable.

Old 27-02-2007, 13:25   #9
Resident Waffler

He has apparently lost around a stone and a half since Christmas so it's going the right way - losing any quicker than that is not recommended anyway.

I think the mother needs help to understand that there are different forms of neglect and that although she can't understand it she is actually neglecting his health.

Old 27-02-2007, 13:30   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
No, depression is an illness and not something which the sufferer has any control over. It is clinically diagnosable.
And along with back pain, probably the most abused illness going .
Old 27-02-2007, 13:39   #11
I am Banned

This is just called soft-itus that some parents do because they cant say NO!!! so let the child rule in order for peaceful life.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 13:56   #12
God Member

as soon as reece started eating solids i introduced fresh fruit and veg,he's eaten it for nearly 11 years and he loves it,the only thing he doesnt like are brussel sprouts, i hardly ever gave him baby jars i prefered to make my own and freeze it, i come across kids now who absolutely hate healthy food, i'm sorry but i'd tell them to either eat it or starve, junk food not only puts weight on children but also make them hyper, i dont buy processed crap, hardly ever buy chips, i dont even have a frying pan, i buy a take away maybe once every couple of months for a treat as my mum did when we where kids...there's just no need for it...i put it down to lazy parenting, the easy way out of having to cook a decent meal, just shove some chips in a pan and hey presto the kids are happy....but in the long term they arent.
Old 27-02-2007, 14:01   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i put it down to lazy parenting, the easy way out of having to cook a decent meal,
Great theory, if you have time !!
Old 27-02-2007, 14:01   #14
Beacon of light

The introduction of fruit and veggies to a toddlers diet is the essential way of getting them used to the taste......and a treat now and then is OK.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 14:03   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Great theory, if you have time !!
I don't think it is any harder to cook healthily than it is to cook chips.
And it certainly doesn't have to cost more. Check out the half price fruit and veg at LIDL.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..