Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2009, 08:34   #1
God Member

Low Energy Light Bulbs

Not sure if this had been covered but after a quick glance at a papers front page headline I was shocked by what was there. Now like a lot of people I have a house full of these type of bulbs but after finding the article online I am having second thoughts. To say it was scary might be a bit of an understatment but a house full of nice toxic lighting came close to adding a warm brown layer were it is not wanted.

You can judge for yourselves but me I am going to find something better.

And no I am not a reader of this paper it was sitting next to my normal one.

Sunday Express | UK News :: Dangers of low energy lightbulbs

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2009, 09:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Low Energy Light Bulbs

In all my life I don't think I've ever broken a lightbulb.
Old 15-03-2009, 09:10   #3
God Member

me and my sis broke one when we where about 5, we used to have a lamp in our bedroom and we must have been bored one night, we where taking it in turns to spit on it to make the bulb sizzle, and sizzle it did, it blew up in our faces, we had some rather awful cuts to our faces....we didnt know a thing at that age, we obviously didnt tell mum we had been spitting on it, she'd have gone ballistic, 1 because we where taught never to spit because it was disgusting, rude and dirty and 2 for applying water to electricity

we just told her it blew up in our faces

disgusting i know, but i was only 5
Old 15-03-2009, 09:18   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Not sure if this had been covered but after a quick glance at a papers front page headline I was shocked by what was there. Now like a lot of people I have a house full of these type of bulbs but after finding the article online I am having second thoughts. To say it was scary might be a bit of an understatement but a house full of nice toxic lighting came close to adding a warm brown layer were it is not wanted.

You can judge for yourselves but me I am going to find something better.

And no I am not a reader of this paper it was sitting next to my normal one.

Sunday Express | UK News :: Dangers of low energy lightbulbs
The only problem is Spugs is that the ordinary light bulb we all grew up with, are being phased out very shortly so there will be no alternative. Like TM I can't remember breaking a light bulb in everyday use, but having said that no doubt I'll do just that this aft, think its called sods law
Old 15-03-2009, 09:59   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only problem is Spugs is that the ordinary light bulb we all grew up with, are being phased out very shortly so there will be no alternative. Like TM I can't remember breaking a light bulb in everyday use, but having said that no doubt I'll do just that this aft, think its called sods law
I have broken a few. The thing that gets me is that the new ones are so toxic and to me negate the so called benifits. What if it was a senior citizen some how breaks a new one they are at a disadvantage are they not.?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-03-2009, 11:05   #6
Senior Member+

Yet again the rush to appear to be environmentaly friendly has trampled all over common sense, and indeed potential long term health issues. Political pandering!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:36   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I have broken a few.
You must be very tall, have you considered ducking the next time it looks inevitable that you and a bulb will come into contact?

This smiley has nothing to do with anything I just think it looks Bright!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:40   #8
Beacon of light

I broke one recently, but it was one of the old filament types......I put on the top step of the ladders and it rolled off and smashed into lots of little pieces.(grrr)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 17:17   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Low Energy Light Bulbs

Ever since these LE bulbs became available some of us not only questioned the carbon cost and energy used in producing them but also the cost of disposing of them due to the mercury powder inside. Not forgetting the danger to someone who breaks one. But we were shouted down with arguments about how little energy they used and how long they lasted.

People were blinded by their longevity and energy efficiency and this was encouraged by our government.
Old 15-03-2009, 19:05   #10

I dislike these bulbs. They give me some really bad headaches, and I much prefer my old 25w bulbs in the small lamps.
Old 15-03-2009, 19:07   #11
Beacon of light

we certainly weren't blinded by the light they give off.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 19:48   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Nope even the govenment is brighter than these bulbs.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-03-2009, 20:26   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

The ones everyone is giving away are the naff 11w ones. You can get 20w and even 25w ones. These give off light somewhere between 100w and 150w of the real lamps. I have a couple of 20w ones in the hallway and they are great for that.

I have been saying for ages that fluorescent lamps have to be disposed of as hazardous waste by businesses.
Old 15-03-2009, 20:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Ever since these LE bulbs became available some of us not only questioned the carbon cost and energy used in producing them but also the cost of disposing of them due to the mercury powder inside. Not forgetting the danger to someone who breaks one. But we were shouted down with arguments about how little energy they used and how long they lasted.

People were blinded by their longevity and energy efficiency and this was encouraged by our government.

most of teh processes of been green actually cause more polution than what the product claims to save

recycling plastic isnt envioromentally friendly either and the process causes more pollution than making fresh plastics

thousands of tons of recycled materials are been simply thrown directly into landfill negating all teh efforts made by people and the running of 2 seperate collections pointless

people have either been brainwashed or bullied into been supposedly green when infact most efforts are causing just as much if not more damage to the enviroment

also green = extra cost which we cover in higher tax

funny thing is toys still come with twice as much packaging than needed and companies are still using teh same old methods for packaging yet the common folk have to do their bit or face huge fines for non compliance

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 13:24   #15
Senior Member+

I thought this was going to be a thread about the offer they have at morrisons 5 low energy 11w=6owatt bulbs for 50P! i thought that was a great offer and bought my old lady next door some aswell lol now ive read that should i go ask for them back! lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..