Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2005, 15:31   #1
Resident Waffler

Angry Maggots!

(Still checking that it isn't Monday yet)

Today was wheelie bin day (and I was right Doug you would have seen more rubbish if you'd come round here today).

Last wheelie bin day the bin men very kindly left a bag in the bottom of my wheelie bin so when I couldn't fit all of our rubbish in it this week I was a bit concerned that they may not take the extra bag or may impose a fine. Maybe I'd have had a good defense if they'd tried that.

However, they did empty it all..................but when I brought it back in and opened it to check, there were maggots writhing around the bottom!

YUCK!

When I think that the bag at the bottom must have been in there a MONTH (as it was the first bag put in for the collection 2 weeks ago, therefore must have gone in two weeks before that) it's hardly surprising is it? There must have been some food item or cat litter in that bag - and how else am I supposed to dispose of such things if not in a bag in my wheelie bin?

Now my daughter and I just had the divil of a job cleaning it out and we're both fairly fit so how would I have gone on if I'd have been a little old lady living alone?

In this hot weather with rubbish hanging around I anticipate the spread of more nasty horrible disgusting things

I'm trying to think nice thoughts honestly I am but after dealing with that lot it isn't easy.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 13-07-2005 at 15:33.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2005, 16:00   #2
I am Banned

Re: Maggots!

perhaps this is a mafia type message from the council where instead of a horses head in your bed they put maggots in your wheelie bin

be careful what you say about HBC they are watching
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 16:26   #3
Give, give, give member

This afternoon l was called upon by two lads who said they were cleaning wheelie bins for £3.50 a go, as they were saving up for their holidays.

They did my next door neighbour's, but although applauding their enterprise thought it a bit steep and declined.

However, l will go and check mine now, if anything wriggles they will get a call, as they had printed fliers with a number.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 16:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

like the spirit of enterprise rindy,but must agree £3-50 is a bit steep,were they going on holiday the rivera ?lol
Old 13-07-2005, 16:37   #5

Going fishing later then Willow...........?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 16:38   #6
Resident Waffler

Now I never thought of giving them to Busman.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 17:51   #7
white rabbits

that could have been a nice little earner .........with a few worms...its the right weather for it ...lol
Old 13-07-2005, 18:45   #8

just looked in my bin ......... IT`s empty........ and no maggots
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 19:13   #9
Beacon of light

Oooh nasty......glad it wasn't me that found them.......you would have heard me scream all over the borough.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 21:44   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
However, l will go and check mine now, if anything wriggles they will get a call, as they had printed fliers with a number.
It is a bin it is supposed to have rubbish and other nasty stuff in it. Just open the lid and chuck rubbish in then close lid.
Anyway it is not your bin, it belongs to HBC. Phone them up and inform them that their bin is all stinky and 'orrid and can you make an appointment for them to clean it.
Old 13-07-2005, 21:56   #11
Give, give, give member

Thankfully l didn't find maggots, just a body and that didn't wriggle, so that's ok.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 22:47   #12
God Member

eewww! I can't stand maggots - there aren't many things that make me squeamish but that's one of them!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 17:04   #13
Len
God Member

Every other Monday is collection day for me here in Harwood. I wheeled my bin in from the back this Monday evening and had a quick glance into the bin to view is condition. The bottom of the bin was absolutely crawling with maggots. I don’t know why as I always put my rubbish into plastic bags before I put them into the bin, with the intention of preventing this sort of unhygienic condition, maybe one of the bags had burst or something but to be honest I cant ever remember having maggot problems in my old style bin. I know it’s been quite warm lately but I think it’s got something to do with the design of the wheelie bin. My old style bin had a heavy lid which sat on an internal 2” up turned flange forming a good seal between the lid and the bin and not only did it keep out the rain water but it also kept out insects and the like. The wheelie bin has a very light lid which doesn’t sit on an internal flange as the internal flange is only about 3/8” high. That is good to keep water out but unfortunately because there isn’t a good seal between the lid and the bin anything that can walk or fly can quite easily find its way into the bin and lay its stuff. So due to the lack of thought before hand we have to now put up with smelly maggot infested wheelie bins.
I wonder how much these brains get paid.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 18:27   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It is a bin it is supposed to have rubbish and other nasty stuff in it. Just open the lid and chuck rubbish in then close lid.
Anyway it is not your bin, it belongs to HBC. Phone them up and inform them that their bin is all stinky and 'orrid and can you make an appointment for them to clean it.
Thats quite interesting, Anyone care to try it?

We had them last year, I got the pressure washer out but in future I may just pick up the phone.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 07:13   #15

At least you lot have lids on your bins!! Mine came off when there were some strong winds and the bin blew over now it's disappeared all together. I've asked HBC I don't know how many times for a new one but to no avail.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..