Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2005, 17:48   #1
God Member

Man beats HIV

Is this true? What will be the outcome? Who will profit? Here is the chance if it is true to find a cure for a disease that they thought incurable. My worry is that even with the gentlemans consent it will be those that can afford it that benifit. All those people in Africa both adults and children could benifit but will they get the cure should they find one? It happens too often that the poorest suffer and as Africa needs it and is unlikely to be able to afford it and it will continue. This will sicken me if it happens and I hope the same can be said for members hear.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2005, 17:50   #2
I am Banned

Re: Man beats HIV

where did you hear this

if its true and hes a blood donor they wont even need his consent coz hes already given the blood away
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 17:52   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
where did you hear this

if its true and hes a blood donor they wont even need his consent coz hes already given the blood away
It was in some of the papers along with Sky News. My browser home page had a piece on it as well. Wether a blood donar I have to pass on that.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-11-2005, 17:57   #4
God Member

He won't be a blood donor if he was diagnosed with HIV. I also read this story and his comments on how he would be happy to go through any tests needed if it helped to find a cure. Wow how mind blowing would that be???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 17:58   #5
I am Banned

man who beats HIV dies in fire incident..

how sickening would that be if it happened lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 18:00   #6
God Member

Quote:

Yeah so sick that only you would think about it!!!!!!! If it did happen then there would be no limit on tests they could perform then... chav you sicko

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 18:08   #7
God Member

Quote:

It would be devestating as there could be 5 million kids that could benifit from this. Hope they rap this guy up in cotten wool and treat him with kid gloves.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-11-2005, 18:26   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I wouldn't get too excited yet.... This man had a positive test in 2002, followed by 2 negative tests. It may have been a combination of things.

Firstly, a false positive result.....These can happen, which is why blood is retested.

A mistake in the lab, mislabelling of the sample. These things do happen a lot more frequently than we'd like. Tired, overworked staff are more prone to human error.

or he may have genuinely produced some defences to HIV.

Chances are that we will never find out as he has refused further testing, which is his perogative. Under current legislation nobody can force him to have tests or procedures done against his will.......unless the situation is considered so life threatening that his own life would be at risk (which it clearly isn't)...or he was deemed mentally too incompetent to make his own decisions, whereby a judge could overrule his lack of consent and force him to be tested.
Personally, I reckon that he has had a false positive test or a lab or labelling mistake. I do know of one other person that this has happened to.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2005, 18:34   #9
God Member

Lettie, hope it isnt all I can think of is how the HIV+ children could benifit from this if it is true he is now free of the disease.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-11-2005, 18:50   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

really hope the storys correct,but tend to agree with letties reasoning being more likely.
Old 13-11-2005, 19:24   #11
God Member

Apparently the 'false test' theory occurred to him too and he tried to sue the hospital for compensation. The hospital, however, were adamant that the first test was accurate and that he was positive. This morning the BBC reported him as saying that he would be happy to do whatever he could to help researchers.
Old 13-11-2005, 19:59   #12
God Member

Fingers crossed. Too much at stake for it to be a "wrong result".

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-11-2005, 20:27   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I think this is a case of "media hype". There is no real proof that this man was cured and no evidence to back up the story. It wouldn't be the first time the Press has sensationalized a story that proved to be entirely without substance.
Old 14-11-2005, 21:33   #14
Accy Goddess

I heard it on the news.
I hope this is true but I wont hold my breath just yet.
Fingers crossed it will come about one day.
I hope it's one day soon.
A lot of people even in this day and age that are so ignorant that they beilieve it can be caught like a common cold by just being in the same room as the person or even a public loo seat.
It's a sad world we live in at times.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 06:44   #15
God Member

Is the ignorence through fear or that they dont have or wont accept the facts?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..