Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 16:06   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: manchester to get congestion zone...

See has got the Government's approval to proceed with this proposal, with a little extra from the Government 1.5 bn.

One good point I heard today was that not everyone owns a car, and the improvement in public transport can only be welcome to these who live in outlying districts.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2008, 19:07   #17
God Member

I'll wait till I see what the details are but this will probably affect me as I travel round M/c to get to work. Here's hoping Motorcycles aer exempt!

I do think Labour are so far down the slippery slope to oblivion that they can't even remember what its like in the real world any more.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:08   #18
Full Member+

Its not a new thing, its been going on since june 07
http://www.manchestertolltax.com/
Old 09-06-2008, 20:39   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick View Post
Its not a new thing, its been going on since june 07
http://www.manchestertolltax.com/
About a year before this Uncle Mick actually.

Entwisi ... as long as you are not crossing the M60 towards the centre will be OK.

Also, will only be charges on the main roads into Manchester, could do a rat run on the other roads, with no charge. Charges will only apply at certain times of the day too.
Old 09-06-2008, 20:46   #20
God Member

as I understand it just using teh M60 will mean its payable

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 21:12   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
as I understand it just using teh M60 will mean its payable
Definitely not Entwisi .. only if you travel over and off.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
About a year before this Uncle Mick actually.

Entwisi ... as long as you are not crossing the M60 towards the centre will be OK.

Also, will only be charges on the main roads into Manchester, could do a rat run on the other roads, with no charge. Charges will only apply at certain times of the day too.
Thats only faze 1 kate, faze 2 reaches a lot further out into the suburbs, Joan lives in Tyldsley, and when and if faze 2 comes in she will have to pay just to go onto her main road through the town.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01   #23
God Member

From what I heard I concluded that the charges only applied during rush hours.
Flexible working hours should be more widely available

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12   #24

Just to say that I am opposed to this proposed congestion charge for Manchester - now really isn't the time to be looking to tax motorists any more in my opinion. I spoke with Graham Stringer yesterday (he is the Manchester MP leading the opposition to it) and we will look at ways we can get a vote in the Commons on it so we can vote against it.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
From what I heard I concluded that the charges only applied during rush hours.
Flexible working hours should be more widely available
Correct Margaret, and yes, Jaysay, Joan will definitely have to pay charges if she is crossing the M60 onto a main road going into the centre. Mind you, public transport will have vastly improved, so she can use this if possible .. also she will be over 60 by then, and will be able to use her free pass.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Correct Margaret, and yes, Jaysay, Joan will definitely have to pay charges if she is crossing the M60 onto a main road going into the centre. Mind you, public transport will have vastly improved, so she can use this if possible .. also she will be over 60 by then, and will be able to use her free pass.
She uses her bus pass now kate, but it is a lot more complicated in faze 2, she won't even have to cross the M60 just going on Tyldsley High Street will see her paying. I also have to agree with Greg, this kind of thing is not want by anyone, as I said I saw Grham Stringer talking on the matter on BBC Northwest News earlier
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
She uses her bus pass now kate, but it is a lot more complicated in faze 2, she won't even have to cross the M60 just going on Tyldsley High Street will see her paying. I also have to agree with Greg, this kind of thing is not want by anyone, as I said I saw Grham Stringer talking on the matter on BBC Northwest News earlier
Sorry, when you said town thought you meant Manchester Centre .. doubt very much if she will have to pay, as beyond the outer perimeter of charges .. will find out for you though.

Not saying I am for or against, think you need to study the plans before making any judgements ... is initially about improving public transport, (everybody grumbles about this) reducing congestion at peak times, and carbon emissions at the end of the day.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45   #28
God Member

My son works in a tower block overlooking Picadilly.
He already starts after, and finishes after, the rush hour.
More workers should have the option.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:13   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sorry, when you said town thought you meant Manchester Centre .. doubt very much if she will have to pay, as beyond the outer perimeter of charges .. will find out for you though.

Not saying I am for or against, think you need to study the plans before making any judgements ... is initially about improving public transport, (everybody grumbles about this) reducing congestion at peak times, and carbon emissions at the end of the day.
Kate, she has already got the bumph through from Wigan Metro about these charges and when they will be implamented if it is accepted by the people. Myself, I think that if they are consulting the people it doesn't stand a snowball in hells chance of being given the okay, but will they listen to the people even when they're asked, they don't usually, they always seem to know better
Old 10-06-2008, 10:24   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My son works in a tower block overlooking Picadilly.
He already starts after, and finishes after, the rush hour.
More workers should have the option.
Not far away from my son then Margaret ... he goes in before rush hour but out at rush hour, however, he leaves his car at home, and bikes into work.

The hours for charging will be 7 > 9.30 a.m, 4 >6.30 p.m. No charge at weekends.

Eventually you will be able to get further details from www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk .. this is now being updated in light of the current announcement and pending public consultation.

Jaysay: Joan will not have to pay charges if she is going into Tyldesley town centre, no matter which road.

Also, you will be interested to note that both the Conservatives and Lib. Dems. are supportive of the Congestion charge in principle.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..