Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2005, 15:45   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Exclamation market hall july 1st.

was down the market hall today,talking to a friend who has a buisness in the market hall. apparently on july 1st the hall will become NO SMOKING, good i hear you say? my friend did not seem to think so,as trade has been dropping off this year,and thinks it will drop even more.the point of this is the stallholders don't seem to have been told/consulted about this,and as they pay the rents which aren't peanuts it seems to me a poor do.have our wonderful council struck again i ask myself? what do you think?
Old 21-06-2005, 15:48   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: market hall july 1st.

Does this apply throughout the Market Hall, or is it like the Arndale where it is supposedly non smoking but you can smoke in that coffee area???

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 15:49   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

my friend didn't know lettie - not been consulted!
Old 21-06-2005, 15:52   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
not been consulted!

That sounds about right.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 18:23   #5
Resident Waffler

You'll probably be able to smoke in the cafes which seems so illogical.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 18:45   #6
I am Banned

looks like HBC have finaly found that illusive remaining few buisness men that arnt ound shops and want to force them out of buisness too

my friend moved his buisness out of accrington simply because HBC found a new way each week to try and ruin his trade
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 22:22   #7
Senior Member+

Funny that, i was sat in Russels today having a coffee and smoke and asked Russel what would happen. He wasnt to sure but opinion is who will police / enforce this ban !

I do hope the insides of the cafe's will not be effected as i like to have a mid-shop coffee and smoke !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 10:54   #8

According to our local paper you will still be able to smoke in the cafes for the time being. We were talking about this at Russels yesterday, most people said the same as me if smoking is banned from the cafes then I will go where I can have a fag loosing the market hall yet more money. I used to walk through the Arndale quite a lot & very often something in a window would catch my eye luring me into the shop now because of the ban I only go in if I have to.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 10:59   #9
Resting in Peace

We have 1 hall (Arndale ) thats a no smoking area so to even things up the market hall should be for smokers only ,where by you HAVE to be smoking to go in the market hall .
hehe
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 11:01   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thumbs up Re: market hall july 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
We have 1 hall (Arndale ) thats a no smoking area so to even things up the market hall should be for smokers only ,where by you HAVE to be smoking to go in the market hall .
hehe
sounds good to me mick lol
Old 22-06-2005, 11:04   #11
Senior Member+

*bangs on ceiling*

waves to Debbie ....

*lights a fag up*
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 14:12   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ive gave up smoking!!! so
Old 22-06-2005, 17:27   #13
God Member

Whats all the fuss about? My only surprise is that the market hall is not already smokeless. How long has top-deck smoking on the buses been banned? 10 years? 15years? I like a cigarette, but thats with a pint and I really cannot see how anyone can be so desperate to have to light up while wandering around a market hall containing amongst others, butchers stalls and a cheese stall. I'm afraid those coelacanths amongst you who can't quite stomach it should either quit smoking or get down your local pub and smoke there; now when that is banned,then there will be a problem

Last edited by Tealeaf; 22-06-2005 at 17:30.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 17:42   #14
land of hope and glory

only pubs that serve food and sandwichs,thats the latest i have heard.SO WHAT IF you serve food without charging do you come under the same rule?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 17:49   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Whats all the fuss about? My only surprise is that the market hall is not already smokeless. How long has top-deck smoking on the buses been banned? 10 years? 15years? I like a cigarette, but thats with a pint and I really cannot see how anyone can be so desperate to have to light up while wandering around a market hall containing amongst others, butchers stalls and a cheese stall. I'm afraid those coelacanths amongst you who can't quite stomach it should either quit smoking or get down your local pub and smoke there; now when that is banned,then there will be a problem
the whole point of this tealeaf
is the people who pay the rents in the market.think that this will reduce trade even more than at present,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..