Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 01:15   #841
Common Sense Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I've had the costings through for confirmed entertainment acts over the next six months but it seems that they're only booked up to 18th December. Everything remaining is scheduled on Saturdays, a far more sensible move and one I applaud rather than the lunacy of trying to pull people in on Wednesdays. The highest fee is 」275 for a saxophonist and a keyboard player but many of the acts are performing for free, including the Accrington Pipe Band.

I'm still against the idea of enforced six day trading but at least the entertainments bill has come down to a more reasonable level and actually involves local talent instead of paying people to promote their own businesses.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2010, 09:05   #842
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've had the costings through for confirmed entertainment acts over the next six months but it seems that they're only booked up to 18th December. Everything remaining is scheduled on Saturdays, a far more sensible move and one I applaud rather than the lunacy of trying to pull people in on Wednesdays. The highest fee is 」275 for a saxophonist and a keyboard player but many of the acts are performing for free, including the Accrington Pipe Band.

I'm still against the idea of enforced six day trading but at least the entertainments bill has come down to a more reasonable level and actually involves local talent instead of paying people to promote their own businesses.
I have always agreed with you on 6 day trading, as I once worked for a firm who had enforced overtime, ain't good, mind you I worked 7 days a week most of my working life but it was my choice and nobody else's
Old 14-12-2010, 07:20   #843
Resting in Peace

I see we are starting to pay for this market refurbishment ....2 weeks ago i got a pound of beef sausages from a stall in the market hall they cost £1:74 on my way back from physiotherapy at the Pals medical center yesterday i went to the same stall to get some more they had gone up to £2:15 a pound i asked why the increase and was told they have put the rents up
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 07:40   #844
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
i asked why the increase and was told they have put the rents up
Its probably true but always a good excuse. A bit like when the government increase tax on petrol and the petrol station slip an extra 0.5p on the price at the same time

That increase you said is a 24% increase. Have the rents gone up that much?

Last edited by Neil; 14-12-2010 at 07:42.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 08:16   #845
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I see we are starting to pay for this market refurbishment ....2 weeks ago i got a pound of beef sausages from a stall in the market hall they cost £1:74 on my way back from physiotherapy at the Pals medical center yesterday i went to the same stall to get some more they had gone up to £2:15 a pound i asked why the increase and was told they have put the rents up

If it IS to pay for the increased rents, then it pre-supposes that there is no net increase in business in the Market Hall, despite the refurbishment and extra opening hours.

At the end of the day, its a case of supply and demand. Are the sausages cheaper in ASDA or Tesco?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 08:20   #846
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
At the end of the day, its a case of supply and demand. Are the sausages cheaper in ASDA or Tesco?
More to it than that, do the sausages taste better from the market may be more important to some people than the price
Old 14-12-2010, 08:32   #847
Resting in Peace

True Neil these sausages are very tasty and really are good so are there garlic but Anne does not allow me to get them.
i have always got them from this stall i do not use supermarkets at all i prefer to support local trade
and i hate prepacked stuff fresh is much better same with cheese the prepacked stuff is like soap i like it when i ask for 1/2 lb cheese and they cut it off the whole cheese.

The only time you will see me in a supermarket is if i cant find the herbs and spices i need and that is after going to Blackburn market where there is a stall that only sells herbs and spices or i grow my own.
i have to be really desperate to go in one of those places

Last edited by Mick; 14-12-2010 at 08:39.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:50   #848
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its probably true but always a good excuse. A bit like when the government increase tax on petrol and the petrol station slip an extra 0.5p on the price at the same time

That increase you said is a 24% increase. Have the rents gone up that much?
As a comparison I remember when as a tanker driver we had to strike over the petrol companies lack of interest in a wage rise.
We finally got 」8 a week which equated to about 」12 with bonus.
A driver did two loads a day 4 days a week and delivered about 40,000 gallons a week; petrol went up 9p a gallon and they blamed the drivers.

Work it out, 40,000 times 9p is a lot more than 」12 a week we got. I wouldn't have minded if they had made it 10p a gallon extra and given us the extra penny for each gallon we delivered.

Same in any business, pass your increase in costs onto the customer but add a bit extra for yourself.

I went through the market last week, first time in ages and it seemed reasonable busy, quite a lot of people sat in the cafe area and some guy making a noise on a keyboard instrument.
Old 14-12-2010, 18:33   #849
Senior Member+

Just a question........... should they not put a notice up saying that they have increased there prices?
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 18:35   #850
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Just a question........... should they not put a notice up saying that they have increased there prices?
Do Asda or Tesco do it ? They only tell you when prices are reduced
Old 14-12-2010, 18:39   #851
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Do Asda or Tesco do it ? They only tell you when prices are reduced
Yeah I agree, its just on the market when you order your sausages, they pack them for you and hand them to you...................then they say a price that is quite a bit higher than the last time you have bought them. Many people are too polite to say something.
At ASDA or Tesco you see the price before they have gone through the till.
Old 14-12-2010, 18:49   #852
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Yeah I agree, its just on the market when you order your sausages, they pack them for you and hand them to you...................then they say a price that is quite a bit higher than the last time you have bought them. Many people are too polite to say something.
At ASDA or Tesco you see the price before they have gone through the till.
That last time I remember going for meat in the Market they always displayed the price per pound on things like sausages heth
Old 14-12-2010, 18:57   #853
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That last time I remember going for meat in the Market they always displayed the price per pound on things like sausages heth

Aye true, Mick were there any prices?
Old 14-12-2010, 19:06   #854
God Member

i bought 6 Cumberland sausage from the market hall today and i paid 」1.40 for them, been getting these sausages for ages now and she always says the price first when she weighs them and asks me if thats ok
Old 15-12-2010, 04:49   #855
Resting in Peace

Yes they where priced but i did not notice till she told me the price and i looked at the card.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..