Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2011, 23:10   #16

Re: Married Tax Relief

"Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?"

Groucho Marx
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-12-2011, 23:16   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Everything, however dumb, is arguable, from Sasquatches to aliens, to trickle down economics. But I don't see what marriage has to do with social stability And I don't think marriage can be sold as a patriotic act. Get married for the good of England (or country of your choice.) Come to think of it, what is the legal definition of marriage in the UK? Does it encompass same-sex unions?
No, civil partnerships, though sharing most of the same legal rights and benefits, aren't classed as marriages.

Perhaps patriotism comes later in marriage?

Around the honeymoon time.

When many repose on the marital bed, and ponder what it is, that's so special about England.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 09:58   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, civil partnerships, though sharing most of the same legal rights and benefits, aren't classed as marriages.

Perhaps patriotism comes later in marriage?

Around the honeymoon time.

When many repose on the marital bed, and ponder what it is, that's so special about England.

Well I was married twice one lasted 4 years one 11, I've now had a relationship for 23 years never intended to get married neither of us, never lived together, just see each other at weekends and holidays, works for me
Old 25-12-2011, 08:51   #19
God Member

I think this is more about reducing the Welfare burden than anything else. Statistically, it is true that children with a stable family background cost the state so much less over the course of their lives than children of single parent and no parent backgrounds.Raising children is an expensive undertaking and one that the state would rather not have to fund. This burden is bourne not only by the DSS but also by the NHS, Education, Local Government and The Justice System.

Against a weakening global economic situation in general and also in the wake of last summer's riots you may expect that there will be more from the government to encourage, not only the feckless and the workshy, but all of us, to take on an increasing share of the responsibility and costs for the way we choose to run our lives.

And quite right too. Liberty and freedom are vitally important elements in any society. We must take care that these elements are sufficiently guarded that they do not manifest their darker sides. Liberty is not Licence and Freedom, no matter how much the liberal left may whine and squeal, has never meant Irresponsibility.

As a single person, business taxpayer and employer. I think that if allowing a married family to keep hold of a little more of what they earn meant that there was a corresponding decrease in calls on the state for assistance and intervention then that would be something that we all would benefit from in the long run.
Old 26-12-2011, 21:46   #20
Senior Member+

i sound like an idiot but whats the difference between a tax relief and tax credits?

if its extra money then i says yeah! but thats because im married

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:25   #21

Working married couples with no kids are the best off financially so why should they get additional tax breaks. Weight any tax breaks towards workers (married or not) with children.

It's another one of Cameron's BIG ideas I think - the man is unfit to be PM.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:48   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Working married couples with no kids are the best off financially so why should they get additional tax breaks. Weight any tax breaks towards workers (married or not) with children.

It's another one of Cameron's BIG ideas I think - the man is unfit to be PM.
Me thinks your at war with the world old chap
Old 05-01-2012, 19:00   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
If you get your way I'm going to have to start another family-not easy at my age!
I'll settle for married couple tax breaks.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Me thinks your at war with the world old chap
Not with the world - just with ignorance, injustice & inefficiency. And with politicians messing about with stuff for no very good reason! Remember G.Brown and his abolition of the 10p tax rate - that was a hoot and a half.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..