Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: where should the Panopticon project be built
milnshaw park 5 45.45%
the coppice 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2005, 23:49   #1
I am Banned

milnshaw park or the coppice

just for fun if we MUST have the Panopticon project where would you rather see it built

milnshaw park that desperatly needs somthing doing with it or the coppice which is fine as it is

i know there are possibly other places but milnshaw park sprung to mind becayse i went there recently and was dismayed at how much in ruin it was compared to 10-15 years ago

edit:

from what i read in gayles thread they are using a park in burnley so why not in accy..?

could it be the desighners ego insisting that it be on the coppice having his creation looking down on all of us or is he open to other locations

i would bet good money our council and people would be more likely to support it if it was located at milnshaw park or some other area in desperate need of a clean up or renevation

i for one would back it if it somthing was done on milnshaw park te only objection i have to the scheme is that they want to use the coppice

some things should just be left alone

Last edited by chav1; 29-03-2005 at 02:14.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2005, 08:25   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: milnshaw park or the coppice

How high is Milnshaw compared with the coppice? One of the panopticon requirements was supposed to be a viewing point of Hyndburn.
Old 29-03-2005, 09:14   #3
God Member

125-150metres above mean sea level (OS), the Coppice is 257 metres. It has views to the south of Scaitcliffe, Springhill and Oswaldtwistle-ish. It also has a large collection of mature trees which obscure the view and which would, no doubt, be subject to preservation orders.

There may also be objections to any redevelopment since it is the oldest public park in Accrington.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 29-03-2005 at 09:17.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 09:27   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Lets pretend I have only been in the area for a few years. Where is Milnshaw Park?
Old 29-03-2005, 09:33   #5
God Member

It is on the slope of the hill adjacent to ASDA on Hyndburn Road.
Old 29-03-2005, 09:45   #6
I am Banned

i see now that milnshaw park was not the best example as its not high enough up for anything to be seen

maybe someone else can think of anywhere high enough as an alternative and could benefit from a bit of renovation

i realy only posted this to see if people would be more willing to accept the project if it was located elsewhere
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 10:11   #7
God Member

Whinney Hill has existing road access.

Land at the top of Kings Highway has road access and is an abandoned quarry owned by Ibstock Ltd.

The area around Bedlam also has existing road access.

All have extensive views over the area and are roughly as high and as prominent as the Coppice.
Old 29-03-2005, 10:19   #8
God Member

If spectacular views are what is required, there is an old Victorian quarry just at the foot of Hameldon Hill off Kings Highway. The area is already popular with walkers. and it has the added benefit of of having several spoil mounds already in situ, it also has a Victorian "Holy" Well - the May Road Well- and is close to a medieval highway -Kings Highway. It is also close to an area where neolithic artefacts have been uncovered- lots of History. It is also situated between two large reservoirs. On a clear day you can see the coast at Blackpool and a large part of the Lake District as well as views to Darwen Tower and Haslingden.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 29-03-2005 at 10:27.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:45   #9
I am Banned

what is supposed to be seen from the sky tho ???? just mounds ???
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:49   #10
God Member

I say leave the coppice alone......... what about slapping it right on top of the town hall! at least vandals and bikes can't get up there. And more people will seee it, than on top of the coppice. Don't think it's a good Idea to have it on the milnshaw park. The amount of kids that congregate around there now, thats why the park is a utter mess. It would just get destroyed in no - time.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:54   #11
I am Banned

what about putting it in Blackburn instead then....why give it us??
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 03:32   #12
Resting in Peace

:P Do you not think that "centre of the world" BwD get enough!!! :P

It's about time Accrington had something to put it back on the map!!!!!! Use the Coppice and it can be seen as folks are driving on the "highway in the sky" (the A56 by-pass) as well as the folks of Accrington, Church, Rishton, Gt Harwood, Oswaldtwistle, Huncote, Fern Gore, Clayton and Altham (if I have missed an area then sorry but at 04:30 brain starting to fog up)
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 05:07   #13
God Member

I'm glad that someone else has resurrected this thread because it gives me the opportunity to ask Gayle for an update on the current situation - Well Gayle, how about it?
Old 20-07-2005, 06:19   #14
God Member

The update really is that there isn't much to say. You all saw the article in the Acc Obs when PB said no, no, no. We then got a letter saying go away look at the options and come back with something more suitable. So that's what we're doing I suppose - looking at the options.

Options being - looking at other sites, possibly other architects, or as I'm sure you'll all be interested in whether there shouldn't be one in Hyndburn at all. But before you all jump for glee on that remember it is just an option. Also, there will be six Panopticons which means that when Hyndburn misses out on all the funding, promotional opportunities and tourism, another area will double up. It would be yet another example of our borough being run down next to our better off neighbours and is that what you really want?

Anyway, we're looking at options. We'll then take them to the steering group for discussion and then present them for public consultation. I haven't got a date for that but the steering group should be meeting again in about two months time - there's no hurry at the moment as the other five are progressing so fast and are keeping us so busy.

By the way A-B did you see the huge feature in the Times (your bible) yesterday - massive picture of the Burnley Panopticon and saying how wonderful it was. Huge positive news story talking about Burnley.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 07:09   #15
Resident Waffler

I don't like the idea of it being on the Coppice at all.

The problem with whatever park anyone suggests - none are really central so that it would be "hidden away" and not really what was intended as a panopticon.

So what's the alternative? I have to admit that a couple of A-b's suggestions appealed to me: Bedlam and Hambledon. Then a thought struck me!

Broadway is currently undergoing renovation. Broadway is central. I dare bet 99% of visitors to the town pass through Broadway. Why couldn't we have had a panopticon on Broadway?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..