Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Government Doing Enough?
Automatic Ban 12 75.00%
Increase Fines @ Points 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2015, 15:45   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Mobile Phone Use.

Seems Government are to consider a proposal to "Increase Fines @ Points Awarded, for use when driving, personally i think thats pathetic, it should be an Automatic Ban in my view, its a very dangerous practice and needs proper action,
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 20-12-2015, 15:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Mobile Phone Use.

Quite agree Cashy, at least a 12 month ban, hefty fine and a retake of their test.
Old 20-12-2015, 16:29   #3
Senior Member+

Totall agree. There is no excuse now a days not to have a hands free kit in a car
accyman likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 16:35   #4
God Member

with further police cuts i highly doubt there will be more arrests just the same if not less arrests for it just bigger fines

the law gets enforced less but the revenue stays the same or increases

one thing you can always count on is the government getting their money

i would feel more confident if i didnt see coppers just watching red light jumpers and doing nowt about it on a regular basis its bad enough tehres a limited police force but when what little we do have cant be arsed doing their job nowt gets done

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 20-12-2015 at 16:38.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 16:39   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Totall agree. There is no excuse now a days not to have a hands free kit in a car
a fiver will get you somat to go in your ear and a couple more quid will get you something that clips to your visor and provides audio from a little speaker

if yo can afford to run a car yo can afford a device that allows you to use your phone legally
Gremlin, maxthecollie and Rowlf like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 20-12-2015, 17:09   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i would feel more confident if i didnt see coppers just watching red light jumpers and doing nowt about it on a regular basis its bad enough tehres a limited police force but when what little we do have cant be arsed doing their job nowt gets done
I think that the problem is the offence needs to be recorded before the Police can be sure of a successful prosecution. The answer is of course to have cameras, but the powers that be in LCC have decided that cameras at junctions could cause a problem for other drivers - who knows what planet they come from. London has cameras at most controlled junctions, also ones that cover boxed junctions - do LCC think that the technology that is widespread in our capital city is too advanced for us backward Lancastrians?
Old 20-12-2015, 20:27   #7
God Member

you are correct Barrie they are concerned the second person going through a red light may hit the first one that jumped the red light if he brakes hard after been flashed

what they are not concerned about is a child that may set off at the green man , a bind person crossing because the beeps say he or she can or the poor sod obeying the law coming from the other direction and setting off on green

Old 20-12-2015, 20:55   #8
Beacon of light

There is no point whatsoever in having a law that is not policed......it might just as well not be on the books.
I regularly see drivers using mobile phones...and the more these drivers use their phone and get away without a penalty, the more they think the law does not apply.
Personally, I would not only ban them, but I would confiscate the vehicle too....and if that vehicle belonged to their employer or some finance company they ( the company ) would have to seek reparation from the driver.
I don't reckon it would take too many prosecutions for the message to get through.
There is NO reason for a driver to be on the move and taking a phone call.
How hard is it for them to park up if a call is really that important?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 18:21   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
you are correct Barrie they are concerned the second person going through a red light may hit the first one that jumped the red light if he brakes hard after been flashed

what they are not concerned about is a child that may set off at the green man , a bind person crossing because the beeps say he or she can or the poor sod obeying the law coming from the other direction and setting off on green
Must take a long time for our esteemed LCC to catch up on technology - the junction cameras in London don't need a flash and they certainly work.
Old 21-12-2015, 20:23   #10

Am I right in thinking that the police cannot act if a member of the public reports someone has used a phone while driving? I seem to think the police have to have witnessed it themselves, but correct me if I am wrong. If, however, I am right, I would like this changed so that the police have to follow up on complaints.

By the way, I have voted for increased fines and points, but I would like this to be vigorously enforced. I would vote for a ban when using a phone caused an accident.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-12-2015 at 20:26.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 20:46   #11
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right Michael...a police officer has to witness the event.
They don't act on members of the public reporting such offences because there is no evidence.
I am not sure how this would stand up if you had video evidence. Our car has a camera in it......it faces forward, but could be adjusted to capture evidence of a driver using a phone whilst driving.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 21:58   #12
Senior Member+

Not sure if the police have to witness use of a phone as the phone will have a record of a call being made/received at the time that the car was being driven. However, it is far more likely that if the police actually witness the event that there will be a successful prosecution.
Fines and points don't appear to be too much of a deterrent, which is why I voted for an outright ban, that way they are really hit and will not be able to cause an accident for 12 months at least - I am all for a hefty fine and double points as well.
Old 21-12-2015, 22:02   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, you are right Michael...a police officer has to witness the event.
They don't act on members of the public reporting such offences because there is no evidence.
I am not sure how this would stand up if you had video evidence. Our car has a camera in it......it faces forward, but could be adjusted to capture evidence of a driver using a phone whilst driving.
If a vehicle is involved in an accident the Police will breathalyse the drivers and also check whether the drivers phones were in use at the time of the accident.
Old 21-12-2015, 22:11   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Am I right in thinking that the police cannot act if a member of the public reports someone has used a phone while driving? I seem to think the police have to have witnessed it themselves, but correct me if I am wrong. If, however, I am right, I would like this changed so that the police have to follow up on complaints.

By the way, I have voted for increased fines and points, but I would like this to be vigorously enforced. I would vote for a ban when using a phone caused an accident.
Please enlighten, How would it be vigorously enforced? They cant even enforce parking illegally, also should it be regarded as ok, if no accident occurs,? I seriously reckon,the threat of a ban will enforce with a lot more people than increased fines and points,
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 21-12-2015, 22:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Please enlighten, How would it be vigorously enforced? They cant even enforce parking illegally, also should it be regarded as ok, if no accident occurs,? I seriously reckon,the threat of a ban will enforce with a lot more people than increased fines and points,
Not what I'm saying at all, Cashy, and I think you know it. However, I will clarify: no it's not OK to use a phone as long as there isn't an accident. I've voted for increased points and a bigger fine, which should be as easy (or as difficult) to enforce as an outright ban. Can I also add that hands-free equipment in a car can be distracting; I know from my own experience, which is why I no longer use one. I now always switch my phone off before driving.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-12-2015 at 22:41.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..