Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 18:07   #1

Most depressing street

After walking back from town the other day, i was just thinking which would be the most depressing street in accy to live on, i'm going to say stevenson street west, just because of that horrible factory and its just so dreary, whats everyone else think.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2009, 18:44   #2
God Member

Re: Most depressing street

cant think of a depressing street but thanks to vandals putting a " F " in the right place annie street has provided many a smile over the years

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 18:45   #3
Caz
God Member

Horne Street must be one of the most depressing, big factory takes up most of one side with most of the windows boarded up or smashed. Units at the end, and the railway at the top.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 18:47   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Horne Street must be one of the most depressing, big factory takes up most of one side with most of the windows boarded up or smashed. Units at the end, and the railway at the top.
perfect . people can get depressed then walk up the street and throw themselves under a train

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 04-04-2009, 19:53   #5
Senior Member+

Annie street isn't that bad to be honest, try having a wander up Woodnook, I find Belfield Road and a street I used to live on, Clement Street are pretty bloody awful.
Water Street is fairly horrible too.

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 04-04-2009 at 19:54. Reason: too many oooo
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 19:56   #6
God Member

i did actually say annie street wasnt a depressing street , especially with the extra F added to its name

Old 04-04-2009, 20:16   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Annie street isn't that bad to be honest, try having a wander up Woodnook, I find Belfield Road and a street I used to live on, Clement Street are pretty bloody awful.
Water Street is fairly horrible too.
Annie St not a bad street now. If we can find the money to do the road up will be even better.

Horne St as Caz says not to clever. But in the elevate improvement area. Hopefully we can start to make real a difference in the St John's area in the not too distant future.

Water St not to bad Lindsay I would have thought. There are lot worse streets in Accrington. Although I accept lower down Water St not to brilliant.

All three Streets by the way in my ward. I'm getting a bit paranoid
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 20:45   #8
Senior Member+

It's bottom of Water St I was referring to, remains of old building on the right and block of houses on left , several of which look awful, granted it looks a bit better now the one next to Fell and Mountain has been painted! Plus we now have the burnt out house after the tragedy in Feb, still complete with blackened walls. It's my quickest route into town, otherwise I would avoid it.
Old 04-04-2009, 20:58   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
It's bottom of Water St I was referring to, remains of old building on the right and block of houses on left , several of which look awful, granted it looks a bit better now the one next to Fell and Mountain has been painted! Plus we now have the burnt out house after the tragedy in Feb, still complete with blackened walls. It's my quickest route into town, otherwise I would avoid it.
I take your point, again could well benefit from future funding. The council has appointed consultants to look at that area.

Interestingly, if you look at not just at Water St but other streets in that area, The nearer the town centre the worse condition of the houses.

I have never been able to work out why that should necessarily be the case.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 20:59   #10
Junior Member+

the whole of accrington is pretty much a krap hole
nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 21:18   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwish View Post
A thoughtful and perceptive post there. I can see that you're going to add a lot of intellectual gravitas to Accyweb.
Old 04-04-2009, 21:32   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwish View Post
...umm..you do realise you have joined a forum called Accrington web?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 21:34   #13
Senior Member+

In the 1950s, there was a radio programme featuring Max Bygraves. he sang the title song "Our Street is Paradise Street" That made me smile, as Accrington had a Paradise St which ran from Eagle St to the Junction pub. It was anything but Paradise. I knew a very poor family who lived there, and even then thought it was bloody ironic. Knockcing it down was an improvement. There's some sort of health offices there now.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 21:38   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
A thoughtful and perceptive post there. I can see that you're going to add a lot of intellectual gravitas to Accyweb.
sadly he kinda has a point , although accrington does have some nice areas the bad ones out number them

no matter how much you polish or dress up a turd its still a turd

accrington needs areas revitalising but sadly all that gets revitalised are teh same areas over and over again

the same houses down blackburn road have been revitalised on at least 2 occasions over the past 10 years, maybe its time to put money in other areas where teh work done will be appreciated and looked after more

also clamping down on landlords who let their properties fall into eyesores

hyndburn homes has a lot to answer for if you ask me, they took on houses from HBC and have done basicly sod all to improve areas and their properties

if you go up rothwell avenue hyndburn homes bought half the houses and saint vincents bought the other half

saint vincents houses have new secure fencing ,outside walls painted ,they were repaired before anyone was allowed to move in while its the total oppposite with Hynburn homes who rent out houses not fit to put a rat in yet alone a human

the only chance you stand of getting a decent home with Hyndburn homes is if you are lucky enough to get a house that has had good tennants in it previously and have carried out repairs themselves

hynburn homes dont do repairs they do temporary fixes and not only have i rented one of their cess pits but know people who have had to put up with walls black with damp , always going without hot water and having to put up with temporary fixes because they wont replace the boiler and have wall paper falling off the walls because roof repairs arnt carried out but rather a bit off goo in the hole to try and stop the leak

as of yet i dont think countour housing A.K.A hydburn homes have followed through on 1 single term of their contract which allowed them to buy these properties and if they have and actually done a good job of it then its a bloomin miracle but they need to do more

Old 04-04-2009, 22:33   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In the 1950s, there was a radio programme featuring Max Bygraves. he sang the title song "Our Street is Paradise Street" That made me smile, as Accrington had a Paradise St which ran from Eagle St to the Junction pub. It was anything but Paradise. I knew a very poor family who lived there, and even then thought it was bloody ironic. Knockcing it down was an improvement. There's some sort of health offices there now.
Paradise Street?..that was, well, paradise compared to the dingy and depressing thoroughfare known as Canning Street. Factories at each end, including one which towered over the whole place like a gargantuan beast, down-at-heel, cramped-looking houses, the whole place was enveloped in an eternal gloom even in the height of summer. Definitely the most depressing street in Accy of its time.

PS - apologies to any former residents who may be reading this!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..