Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2006, 23:24   #1

Motorway Traffic Jams

It really annoys me when there are road works and 2 lanes or 3 lanes then reduce into 1. We get plenty of warning when the roads go into 1 lane...Why do idiots zoom down the lane until the very end trying to push in, thus creating a traffic jam. Are they thick! Sometimes lorry drivers go in the lane and block it off thus making the traffic move... Does anybody else feel the same?
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2006, 23:43   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Motorway Traffic Jams

Agree.

I blame people playing far too many computer games.

The more daringly and aggressively you drive the more points you get.

Hopefully in real life the only points these people will get will be on their licence.

Last edited by garinda; 23-05-2006 at 08:31.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 03:04   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossendaleRed
Why do idiots zoom down the lane until the very end trying to push in, thus creating a traffic jam.
The jam is there because of the lane restriction not the last minute pusher iners. I agree that it is annoying when you see then zooming down the soon to close lane but I don't think they cause the jam. If they did cause it, would they not only affect the one lane and not both?
Old 23-05-2006, 03:08   #4
I am Banned

nothing says you have to let people push in , make them wait if you dont like it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 04:19   #5
Senior Member+

yeah

i mean i admit i do and hte whole traffic jam comes from 3 lanes of traffic goin into one

not the late pusher ins

what u need is the work to b carried out at times when the rd isnt going 2 b busy if it can b helped or the usage of the hard shoulder
Old 23-05-2006, 07:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
nothing says you have to let people push in , make them wait if you dont like it
Do you think you would have the stones to stop me pulling in if i really wanted too? There are advantages to driving an old, very low value car. You just have to find the right, new and expensive, car to pull in front of, they just let you in everytime
Old 23-05-2006, 11:52   #7
God Member

There are advantages to driving a vehicle thats not mine, so try it buster and you'll lose.
It is the pushers in, for the same reason the traffic lights work. A constant flow of cars pushing in at the last minute make the traffic stop to create a gap to let the pusher in join. the inside lane is affected by people moving over to try to get round the outside, which slows down the inside lane. generally the inside lane still flows quicker though
It is illegal for any car or lorry to obstruct any lane.
I had human tissue to deliver for transplant quite often, and one day was on my way to liverpool, the outside lane was blocked off, i took advantage until a car pulled out and blocked me, despite me flashing lights and shouting out the window, i had to que in over a mile of traffic, at the lights he even got out tapped me on the shoulder and said anytime. what an absolute moron. just because I didn't have blue lights he ignored me and took the law in to his own hands, blocking the lane just so I didn't push in.
I phones the police for help but they couldn't get anybody there.
I see people flashing lights on the motorway, and yes, do think he's an impatient git, but sometimes, they have a genuine reason to be.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 19:10   #8
God Member

lets play devils advocate,

so all but lane 1 are closed, how far back should people all pull over to lane one? 1/2 mile? 1 mile? in the traffic jams I sometimes end up in it could easily make a 3 mile tailback into a 9 mile one if we all pulled over as soon as we knew? The police feel it is adequate to graduate the lanes at that point so who are we to decide better?

Sorry, but I am and will always be someone who uses the whole of the road to make my journey as comfortable as possible(and that is actually what you are taught when learning to drive and on IAM courses). If thats by avoiding queuing for 2 miles I don't have to then so be it.

Of course being a biker I'm use to not queuing!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 21:13   #9
God Member

ah being a biker your used to braking the law and making a lane where their isn't one. If three cars are in three lanes and they get over took by a bike, which lane is the bike in?
Your meant to pull over when the signs say the lanes closed, not 5 yards before the cones force you over. It's common sense to most. but you always get the few that shoot down right to the cones then force the traffic to stop so that they can get in. the only reason that que is two miles is because it's so slow, and it's so slow because it keeps stopping to let people in.
Old 24-05-2006, 21:27   #10
God Member

Excuse me Mad but lets point out a few things

Firstly, a heck of a lot of bikers do not break the law. so assuming that because I'm a biker I break the law is simply a silly generalistic statement. I know plenty of car drivers who are happy to bend rules, are they all evil as well? you seem to be portraying us as such?

Secondly, lets put this past you and see how it works, if when taking a motorcycle test you are presented with a queue of traffic and "if safe to do so " you do NOT filter you will FAIL!!!!! So work that one out! Filtering is not illegal in any way shape or form. In fact most people do not actually realise that there is nothing in LAW that stops you undertaking in this country. Yes, if you ride like a dick and a copper sees you you are risking a due care or even reckless driving but good quality filtering is not going to get you in trouble. In most cases Police Range Rovers will even move over if possible to let you through!

As for when it says a lane is closed I spend far too much time on motorways and very rarely see a correct useage of the lane ahead closed signage. In fact I can only think of one instance in the last 12 months (or >30K miles of mainly motorway driving)

As an aside, did you realise that whilst teh signs overhead are mandatory, the matrix signs between the carriageways are advisory only! Most people do not realise this.

I'm happy to bow to your greater knowledge if that is the case but hey I think I'm quite comfortable stood upright for the moment.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 21:59   #11
God Member

The signs anywhere aren't mandatory nless it's in a red circle or it says only. All road works have a lane closed sign on the run up, it's the red triangle with one straight line and one bent.
To drive legally in this country you have to be driving in a lane of your own, if you overtake, you need a clear lane to overtake in, creating a third, or fourth lane is an offence. if you are in a que of traffic and the offside lane is occupied then it's not legal to go between them, there is no lane there. car drivers do it too when overtaking parked cars, your not allowed to squeeze through, your supposed to wait till the opposit side of the road is clear. same with over taking tractors.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..