Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 02:38   #1
Senior Member+

Moving to london...

would it be worth it???

i'm thinking of moving - renting a single room out first - doing a bit of doorman duties and a bit of private hire taxi whilst i learn for my knowledge and get my black cab license...

i know once i get that license i can get hte money in no probs...

its just a huge step
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: Moving to london...

if you want to give it a go have a do!if it fails you can always say i tried,and not if only?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:48   #3
Senior Member+

mmmmmmmmmmm

i'm just not saving any cash here at all. the wages in this area generally are just really poor esp when ur other half doesnt work
Old 10-09-2005, 09:50   #4
Give, give, give member

Do bear in mind Mani that although the money is higher in London so is the cost of living, but if it is something you'd like to do, do it.

I moved to London when I was in my early twenties, basically for the same reason, money. The degree I had was in fashion, and that's where the jobs were. I had a great time, it's a fantastic city, with everything you want to do, at whatever time of day.

Do also consider that with nearly ten million people, it can still also be an incredibly lonely place, I was lucky already having friends down there. I reached burn out after seventeen years, and downsized to Glasgow for three years, before eventually realising there's no place like home.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:12   #5
I am Banned

wheres you ambition ...?

yes goto london but dont go just to be a taxi driver

go to london kick the queen out and take her job , you get plenty of money and lets face it the hours are good

seriously tough garinda is right the rent on properties down their is horrendous but after looking into it and you still think you can make a go of it then why the hell not

maybe live on the outskirts of london where the rents are cheaper and drive into work would be another option
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:19   #6
God Member

I agree with staggers, there's nothing worse than down the line saying...what if....... I actually feel at the mo that life is passing me by and am considering some radical changes so I know where you are coming from..

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22   #7
Give, give, give member

Just a note, do remember if you do taxi driving you will be in competition with the black cab drivers who have done the 'knowledge', along with the hundreds of illegal cab drivers that you still find outside clubs and pubs, despite the council's cracking down on them because of the obvious danger of getting in a car with a bloke you don't know.

Reading the A-Z might be a good idea now to familiarise yourself with the city. I once dropped my flatmate at the tube station the first week I moved down. An outward journey of ten minutes, turned into a nightmare return journey of three hours!

Old 10-09-2005, 13:46   #8
Senior Member+

garinda - thanks for ur words - they're very noted.

i actually have more friends in london than i do up north which is strange considering i've never stayed there...

plus i have a sister, two brothers, an aunt and numerous cousins there. i will b hopefully staying with a mate who's a local to london. i just dont want to get to 50 and realised all i've saved in my life is £800. i dont know if i'll ever reach burn out i'm sure i will. but for the sake of my family and my daughter i realise i need to make a change and make it soon b4 time passes me by.

yeah i know all bout the illegal cabbies at nite. they've really clamped down on them. they get cops posing as clubbers etc. there will always b ppl willing to take the risk but work hard enough and there's a living there for anyone.

chav - i dont know bout u but i wudnt say no to a 40-50K a year even if it was in london - yeah i know what u mean by ambition - but who's to say there wont b other opportunities coming up?

i just feel really holed up and stifled employment wise here
Old 10-09-2005, 14:07   #9
I am Banned

Good luck Mani, if thats whats urging you then go & do it, you'll never know unless you try & if it doesn't work out ah well you will have to come home to accy but if you didnt try it you would spend the rest of your life wondering & regretting not taking the chance.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 14:15   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
chav - i dont know bout u but i wudnt say no to a 40-50K a year even if it was in london - yeah i know what u mean by ambition - but who's to say there wont b other opportunities coming up?

i just feel really holed up and stifled employment wise here
dont take what i said as i was saying you didnt have ambition i was just using that as a builld up to you kicking out the queen and getting her job lol

ime pretty sure london cabbies make quite a lot of money considering how much they charge us poor northerners when we visit

on that note blackpool taxis are even worse but people especialy toursist will pay high fares rather than drive through terrible traffic

of course when acringtonions visit i assume we get accrington fares

Last edited by chav1; 10-09-2005 at 14:17.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 15:17   #11
Resident Waffler

I'd say go for it Mani. Like others have said if it doesn't work out you can always come back to Accy. If you've got friends and family down there that's a head start.

There were things I didn't do when I was younger that I now wish I had done when the opportunities were there.

It's better to ty something than to have the regret later and think "if only............"

Hope you don't leave AccyWeb though. You'll still be one of us even if you're mingling with all those southerners.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 16:55   #12
Senior Member+

i might even learn how to rip people off!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 17:04   #13
Give, give, give member

I think with your network of friends and family already there you should go for it.

There are lots of opportunities there, and like you said don't regret something you wished you'd done later in life.

The very best of luck.

It'll be nice to have another member down there, because hopefully you'll stay in touch with us, your friends up here.

Old 10-09-2005, 20:02   #14
God Member

I think you should go for it Mani, you already have a support system down there, and if it doesn't work out you can come back, at least you'll have tried, we will all be here for you online offering you support, good luck.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 20:05   #15
God Member

Ask yourself the question, if I don't do it will I regret it for the rest of my life?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..