Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 04:39   #1

My Good Deed For The Week =)

Well.. driving home from work at 4am this morning (Sunday).. just past Church traffic lights heading towards Oswaldtwistle Mills.. saw an old lady, walking stick.. the works.. walking near the railway station, in the rain. I drove past but couldnt help myself but to turn around and see if she was ok. 4am, little old lady, rain.. I had too.

So I pulled up beside her, wound down the window and asked if she was ok, to which she replied "not really no".. bless her. She was rather confused, lost etc. Didnt know where she was going, or where she had come from. Clinging onto her head scarf in the wind & rain I asked her if she'd like to sit in the car, to help get her home.

I was rather afraid on her behalf by this time, asking someone to come in my car.. someone being asked to get in my car? Ya kno.. Anyway she was more than happy to get in so I kindly got out and opened the door for her etc. After long conversation managed to get a street name out of her.. Walmsley Close in Church to be precise.

Didnt know where this was so thanks to Adams Taxi's for directing me over the telephone So I and my friend drove her to Walmsley Close nearby.. then the hunt for the house began. I was half tempted at this point to take her to the police station, but she seemed so worried/lost at this point that I didnt want to cause more worry by driving her all the way to Accrington

We found the flat.. I didnt think it would be advisable for me to enter her home whilst she was in this vunerable state.. I know I trust myself.. but what would anyone else think had they found me? Anyway decided to ring the police at this point, so they could look after her.. the poor lady was getting ready to go back out of the house. So my friend made her a brew, whilst I waited outside for the police (for a cold ten minutes).. Meanwhile we managed to get hold of her grandson on the phone, as the number was on the wall.. he seemed quite worried to say the least. Kind of anger towards me & my friend.. but who can blame him.. we were in his grandmas flat. Anyway the police arrived, spoke to her grandson, thanked us, and we were on our way, leaving the old lady in the care of the police ..

Glad she got home safely anyway, who knows what could have happened.. maybe someone else might not have been so kind What would anyone else have done? Did I do the right thing? Eee' well, all in a nights work lol
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2007, 05:24   #2

Re: My Good Deed For The Week =)

Well done,more people should care for others like you did!!!
derekcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32   #3
Beacon of light

God bless you for your kind actions.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:38   #4

Well Done chuck

Though its a sad world we live in when you have to worry about helping someone who is vulnerable
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:55   #5
Resident Waffler

Of course you did the right thing. I'm puzzled that her grandson would be angry with you after all you did. You could have just left her there and the very least that may have happened would have been that she'd end up freezing cold soaking wet and ill but worse she could have been knocked down or attacked. You went out of your way to make sure she was OK and even make sure you weren't alone with her to avoid any accusations of inappropriate behaviour.

It doesn't surprise me that people don't help others when trying to us such a minefield these days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00   #6
Senior Member+

good for you...so many folk would have drove on by without a thought... and who knows what could have happened had you not have stopped...
karma on its way...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Well done Thomas . would like to think I would do the same thing, but who knows.

Sure the grandson will be grateful really, just an initial reaction, and probably feeling embarassed too that the family have not recognised the signs of what appears to be this ladies onset of some type of dementia.

Wonder how the police handled this at the end of the day to ensure her safety. Would be good to have a follow up to see how her long time care is put into place.

Once again ... pat on the back, have sent Karma and forwarded this link to your Auntie, to let her know they have a Good Samaritan in the family.

xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:38   #8
Member.

Well done lad. In this day and age it’s nice to know that so many people are prepared to act unselfishly to protect others. It is often safer for both parties to ring the police and ask them for support and assistance, at the end of the day you did the right thing and that is what is needed in our society.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thomas yer a proper chap,well done.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:29   #10

Well done Thomas, shame there isn't more people like you in Accy....would be a much better place
Old 11-11-2007, 10:48   #11
Give, give, give member

I'm sure her grandson will realise today just how lucky she was to be spotted by yourself.

So many people might have just driven past. Well done you for not doing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:31   #12
God Member

Well done Thomas sure you did the right thing. Hope the lady is okay.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:53   #13
God Member

well done Thomas, never think you are doing the wrong thing by helping someone, and it is a shame when we have to think about it first

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13   #14
Resting in peace

Well done Thomas, more power to your elbow, good Samaritans are in short supply in this so called 'modern society'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:29   #15

Yeah you did the right thing I think, good work.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..