Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2012, 18:37   #1
Senior Member+

My turn to make dinner????

I'm not allowed in the kitchen except to make tea/coffee. The boss is convinced I will burn the pans, scratch the glass hob, dent the worktops, break her favourite crockery and leave a mess.Oh, and give her food poisoning.
For some reason she decided I should make dinner tonight. I'm not sure if she was punishing me for something or if she's planning to leave home but doesn't want me to starve to death because I don't know how to turn the hob on.
I think I did quite well- stir fried rump steak with fresh ginger, garlic, peppers, spring onions. And mushrooms which she made me peel!( That was a glass of wine job!). A portion of egg noodles to fill the plates.
It was good, so good I might have started something. Especially as I didn't burn, scratch or break anything( can you burn a wok?). And I cleaned up afterwards.
I tell you this not for praise from the ladies('It's time you did a bit, you lazy ****') or condemnation from the men( 'Letting the side down, creating a precedent') but because I can't imagine how you ladies can do this once or even twice a day, seven days a week, without running out of ideas, going mad, or both.
Besides having no idea what to make if she punishes me again I would be an alcoholic after a week, it took two glasses just to cook it!
Every credit to you women who do this every day for two, three or more family. Rather you than me- I'll stick to digging the garden, unblocking the sewers, decorating,etc. It's easier!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2012, 18:53   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: My turn to make dinner????

Gordon i agree, i am absolutely useless at cooking, as the boss discovered when she had flu a few years ago, Still shes had her flu jab ever since, so some goods come outa it. I just wash up, simple task fer a simple sod.
Old 25-11-2012, 19:13   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Gordon i agree, i am absolutely useless at cooking, as the boss discovered when she had flu a few years ago, Still shes had her flu jab ever since, so some goods come outa it. I just wash up, simple task fer a simple sod.
Washing up? I'm quite good at that, cashman. Once she showed me the on/off switches and how to open the door I had no trouble.
Before she had a machine I got out of washing up by breaking things, not so easy with a machine!
Old 25-11-2012, 19:37   #4
Beacon of light

I did a roast of Brisket......slowly cooked for most of the afternoon..it was so tender you could have cut it with your elbow.
We had steamed carrots, cabbage and cauliflower......a few peas and yorkshire pudding(home made of course),roast spuds....and a drizzle of rich meat gravy.
I cooked this for me and him...the old feller next door(he is over 80 and on his own).....I did a portion for Ma - she will get hers for lunch tomorrow.

It isn't really a chore. I enjoy cooking plain simple food.
I have some portions of Leek and potato soup bagged up and in the freezer, and I did a panful of pea and ham soup earlier today. Makes a filling and warming lunch......and doesn't cost the earth.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 19:39   #5
Beacon of light

I have a fancy dishwasher......1943 model...shame you can't get the spare parts for it anymore.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 25-11-2012, 20:05   #6
Senior Member+

Does he wear his Blue Marigolds
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:36   #7
Beacon of light

No, Frank...he thinks Marigolds are for cissies
Old 25-11-2012, 20:42   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, Frank...he thinks Marigolds are for cissies
Bet he doesn't say that to the fang farriers or the vet next time he's there.
Old 25-11-2012, 20:46   #9

I bloody love cooking from home made pizza including bases to pork burgers with feta cheese inside. I don't no what it is but I love having a mess and for a 24 year old lad I make a good Sunday roast.

The rule between me and my 'boss' is supposed to be one cooks one cleans. Although that rule is slightly weighted in favour of one person and its not me.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 25-11-2012, 21:07   #10
God Member

I do all(well, 95%) of the cooking and shopping in our house. I enjoy it as its my relaxation after a day in the office. As for imagination, I have more cook books than techie manuals ;-) it's all about variation on themes in reality. Curries are just spiced up casseroles, cooking methods are generally either fast (grills, fried) or slow ( stews, roasts, etc) , grab a few ingredients and I can usually knock up something interesting and tasty depending on how long I have to play with...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 21:34   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
I bloody love cooking from home made pizza including bases to pork burgers with feta cheese inside. I don't no what it is but I love having a mess and for a 24 year old lad I make a good Sunday roast.

The rule between me and my 'boss' is supposed to be one cooks one cleans. Although that rule is slightly weighted in favour of one person and its not me.
Come and cook for me tommy
Old 25-11-2012, 21:34   #12
Senior Member+

I've just finished washing up
Old 25-11-2012, 23:14   #13

I reckon if she's planning on leaving she is being very considerate to think about your safety being ensured!Bless her!

I'm the one who cooks,because I am usually the one to be at home, & because I like to cook...Also it's the only 'creative' thing that I don't totally suck at.

I don't really like people cooking for me usually, just got used to doing it myself, but recently am getting better at that-or maybe getting lazier
I don't ask him too often though, he might start asking me to do the washing up!
Old 26-11-2012, 14:43   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I do all(well, 95%) of the cooking and shopping in our house. I enjoy it as its my relaxation after a day in the office. As for imagination, I have more cook books than techie manuals ;-) it's all about variation on themes in reality. Curries are just spiced up casseroles, cooking methods are generally either fast (grills, fried) or slow ( stews, roasts, etc) , grab a few ingredients and I can usually knock up something interesting and tasty depending on how long I have to play with...
Can I come for lessons? You make it sound easy, Margaret's cooking sounds good but beyond a mere man.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:05   #15
Beacon of light

No Gordon...all very plain simple stuff. Anyone with a little cooking experience can do it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..